LG V20 Sound Quality
May 19, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,551 of 4,141
Am I correct in assuming the same Quad DAC is in all international versions of this phone?I'm with Bell Canada.

May 19, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,552 of 4,141
Am I correct in assuming the same Quad DAC is in all international versions of this phone?I'm with Bell Canada.

I live in Ontario. I have had two V20s. One from Freedom Mobile, don't ask, and now one from Fido. They both have the Quad DAC in them, and they do sound fantastic. I have a Chesky binaural sampler (24/192)that will simply blow your mind it sounds so good. This coming from someone who has had several hi-res capable dedicated DAP's.

May 19, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,553 of 4,141
I live in Ontario. I have had two V20s. One from Freedom Mobile, don't ask, and now one from Fido. They both have the Quad DAC in them, and they do sound fantastic. I have a Chesky binaural sampler (24/192)that will simply blow your mind it sounds so good. This coming from someone who has had several hi-res capable dedicated DAP's.
Great news thanks.I briefly had the HTC 10 and it has excellent sound quality including great imaging but I did not like the bright display screen at all.So I returned it.How do you like the screen on the V20?

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #2,554 of 4,141
Great news thanks.I briefly had the HTC 10 and it has excellent sound quality including great imaging but I did not like the bright display screen at all.So I returned it.How do you like the screen on the V20?

I think it's great, but this is the first hi-end phone I have owned so I don't have much to compare it to. The second screen seems like it's just a gimmick but it's actually useful. I would imagine a Galaxy S8 or Sony Experia XZ premium will probably have a better screen. I chose this phone hoping it would allow me to slim down to carrying one single device for both communications and portable music. My hopes were to find a phone that could approach the sound quailty of my dedicated DAP (FiiO X5). Close enough that I wouldn't lament not having a dedicated music player. I wasn't expecting a phone that literally matches the performance of my DAP and maybe even out performs it sound quality wise, but that's what I got. Is it perfect? No, the automatic gain setting is a bit of a pain, so I would suggest a set of headphones with an impedance North of 50 ohms or 16 ohms and lower. My Oppo PM-3's are 32 ohns and the V20 just barely gets them loud enough on full volume without using the trick to put the phone into auxillary mode. There has been a couple of other minor quibbles with it's phone performance, but overall I am very happy with the V20. Please keep in mind that I tend not to be too finicky when it comes to these types of devices and small but sometimes annoying quirks. The V30 is supposedly on it's way soon and is rumoured to have an OLED screen. Might be worth the wait depending on your situation.

May 21, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,555 of 4,141
Sorry in advance for this question, as I have a feeling I should be able to find an answer elsewhere in this thread. I just received my V20 (Verizon), and I am trying to determine which app is the best for taking advantage of the full audio quality of the V20. I have plenty of hi-res files, and it appears that the stock app called "Music" (very creative) seems to play the files just fine, and shows on the display that they are hi-res, but I am just wondering what people are using instead of the stock app that plays hi-res without down-sampling? Again, sorry, I know this has been hammered out in detail earlier in this thread, but after a while digging it was still not clear where we are at NOW regarding this. Thanks!

May 21, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #2,556 of 4,141
Sorry in advance for this question, as I have a feeling I should be able to find an answer elsewhere in this thread. I just received my V20 (Verizon), and I am trying to determine which app is the best for taking advantage of the full audio quality of the V20. I have plenty of hi-res files, and it appears that the stock app called "Music" (very creative) seems to play the files just fine, and shows on the display that they are hi-res, but I am just wondering what people are using instead of the stock app that plays hi-res without down-sampling? Again, sorry, I know this has been hammered out in detail earlier in this thread, but after a while digging it was still not clear where we are at NOW regarding this. Thanks!

I use the stock app excluseivly. As you mentioned, it sounds so good with the stock app I haven't felt the need to even experiment with third party players and I have UAPP, Onkyo, and Poweramp loaded on my V20. At some point I may fool around with third party apps, just for kicks, but right now I am too busy enjoying the music to bother.

May 21, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #2,557 of 4,141
Stock app is fine but I almost use Neutron Player exclusively, mostly for DLNA and stream and not necessary for sound.

May 22, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #2,558 of 4,141
Excited, got a used V20 coming in the mail. Can't wait to try my T40RPs with it.

I listened to a pair of T40RP MKII on the weekend using my H990 as source. The phone recognised the device as high impedance, which is a good start since they are 50 ohm (borderline hi impedance). I was not impressed by what I heard. Although the V20 is able to drive the cans to acceptably high volumes, the higher frequencies were not well presented at all - lacking in clarity and definition, which is an interesting result considering that the V20 has a rather clean and forward presentation. Bass was well defined and there was plenty of it. The famed Fostex mid range was present in spades. Unfortunately (since I was offered the T40s at a REALLY low price - old stock apparently and REALLY wanted to like them) I cannot recommend the T40RP MKII as a good match for the V20. Your mileage may vary...

May 22, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #2,559 of 4,141
I use the stock app excluseivly. As you mentioned, it sounds so good with the stock app I haven't felt the need to even experiment with third party players and I have UAPP, Onkyo, and Poweramp loaded on my V20. At some point I may fool around with third party apps, just for kicks, but right now I am too busy enjoying the music to bother.

+1

May 22, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,560 of 4,141
I listened to a pair of T40RP MKII on the weekend using my H990 as source. The phone recognised the device as high impedance, which is a good start since they are 50 ohm (borderline hi impedance). I was not impressed by what I heard. Although the V20 is able to drive the cans to acceptably high volumes, the higher frequencies were not well presented at all - lacking in clarity and definition, which is an interesting result considering that the V20 has a rather clean and forward presentation. Bass was well defined and there was plenty of it. The famed Fostex mid range was present in spades. Unfortunately (since I was offered the T40s at a REALLY low price - old stock apparently and REALLY wanted to like them) I cannot recommend the T40RP MKII as a good match for the V20. Your mileage may vary...
I have the MkIIIs but they're the same drivers if I'm not mistaken. I only listened to a few songs but I thought it sounded great. Of course I only have a Fiio X1 (1st gen) and a S8 to compare it to.

May 22, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,561 of 4,141

Fostex planars like a good amount of power to sound their best, so this doesn't surprise me

May 22, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,562 of 4,141
this phone drive my Ether C really good albeit takes all the power it has but it does drive it good. The details are not there with the Hugo but I dont expect it too, this would be a keeper if the phone doesnt lag so much, my Samsung S7E (exynos) is a lot smoother

May 22, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,563 of 4,141
To those using the impedance adapter, why is my phone unable to go to high impedance mode if I connect it through
Short 3.5mm extension cable -> Impedance adapter -> IEM

However when I connect
Impedance adapter -> short 3.5mm extension cable -> IEM ,
then will I be able to go into high impedance mode.

I wanted to connect through the first method as the impedance adapter sticks out quite alot from the jack and using the short 3.5mm extension cable first can help eliminate this issue, as I can bend the short cable.

Am I doing it wrong? How should I connect it? Or I have to live with the protruding impedance adapter?

PS: For the first method, I have tried connecting the 3 together first then plugging it into the headphone jack but still unable to make it to high impedance mode.
For the second method, the moment I plug the impedance adapter first, it automatically goes into high impedance mode, so no issue regardless of the order I insert into the jack.

May 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,564 of 4,141
Hello guys! I just got myself an H990DS and I'm happy how it delivers sound. It's definitely bright sounding to my ears but just the right amount for my tolerance. I mainly use my 32 ohm TY Hi Z earbuds, iBasso IT03, and the 62 ohm AKG K7xx (which sounds fantastic since the high impedance/quad DAC mode is enabled).

I'm currently trying to read the middle part to the latest pages of this thread and my questions has probably been asked earlier. I would just like to confirm if my assumption is correct. So if a 50 ohm and above impedance earphone/headphone activates the high impedance mode on the phone, does that mean that these impedance adapters (except the 20 ohm) can do the same function which will enable me to use lower impedance earphones/headphones but still utilize the high impedance mode? Thank you in advance for your answer.

20-175OHM-700x700.jpg

May 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,565 of 4,141
Hello guys! I just got myself an H990DS and I'm happy how it delivers sound. It's definitely bright sounding to my ears but just the right amount for my tolerance. I mainly use my 32 ohm TY Hi Z earbuds, iBasso IT03, and the 62 ohm AKG K7xx (which sounds fantastic since the high impedance/quad DAC mode is enabled).

I'm currently trying to read the middle part to the latest pages of this thread and my questions has probably been asked earlier. I would just like to confirm if my assumption is correct. So if a 50 ohm and above impedance earphone/headphone activates the high impedance mode on the phone, does that mean that these impedance adapters (except the 20 ohm) can do the same function which will enable me to use lower impedance earphones/headphones but still utilize the high impedance mode? Thank you in advance for your answer.

20-175OHM-700x700.jpg
Yes, that is correct, if I understand you correctly.

One other thing, and this is not directed solely at you.

Those who are claiming that the Quad DAC's are only activated when the phone is in high impedance mode is doing all who read this thread a disservice. I firmly believe that these individuals have either simply misunderstood what LG has written on the matter or LG has actually not been precise in their description of how the DAC's work. There exists in the set-up menu of the V20 a toggle for activating the Quad DAC's. I believe as long as that toggle is in the on position you are utilizing all four DAC chips.

There may indeed be a difference in the sound when initiating high gain mode, but it is more than likely these changes are completely independent of the activation of the Quad DAC's.

Think about it logically. It makes absolutely no sense for LG to restrict the ability to access all four DAC chips and subsequently the full potential of the built in music app, based on same vague determination of what is or isn't high quality playback equipment based simply on a set of headphones impedance.

Frankly, despite how some individuals decide to decipher what LG has written on the subject the entire assumption that only high impedance headphones can utilize the full benefit of the Quad DAC's is ludicrous and nothing more than an assumption until LG weighs in with a definitive answer, which as far as I know, they have not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back