LG V20 Sound Quality
Mar 18, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2,238 of 4,141
ok maybe i have a faulty adapter but its triggering hifi mode.

The impedance adaptors with an impedance added between the phone and the headphone are designed to turn the volume down. So as your LG V20 increases its output by 12dB, you may be lowering the volume back down in the adaptor by 10-20dB.

To prove this: is the headphone louder or about the same without the adaptor in normal mode? If yes then you are not helping the volune with this adaptor.

Try this: tack a headphone with a removeable cable. Remove the cable at the headphone end, plug into the LG V20 to get the medium line level mode, then plug in the headphones. If this is louder than your adaptor, you have the wrong type for full output.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #2,239 of 4,141
The impedance adaptors with an impedance added between the phone and the headphone are designed to turn the volume down. So as your LG V20 increases its output by 12dB, you may be lowering the volume back down in the adaptor by 10-20dB.

To prove this: is the headphone louder or about the same without the adaptor in normal mode? If yes then you are not helping the volune with this adaptor.

Try this: tack a headphone with a removeable cable. Remove the cable at the headphone end, plug into the LG V20 to get the medium line level mode, then plug in the headphones. If this is louder than your adaptor, you have the wrong type for full output.

Ok got it. I plugged removable cable and then the ath pro 700mk2 and the sound is better than connecting the 75ohm impedence adapter. But is there any way to trigger high impedence mode i really want to see d diff between all the 3 differnt modes of v20

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #2,240 of 4,141
Ok got it. I plugged removable cable and then the ath pro 700mk2 and the sound is better than connecting the 75ohm impedence adapter. But is there any way to trigger high impedence mode i really want to see d diff between all the 3 differnt modes of v20

There are a few ways, all listed here. Inline analogue volume control, headphone splitter with a load on one side and others.

Also routing and a registry edit can do it too I believe

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #2,242 of 4,141
Mar 18, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2,243 of 4,141
Does anyone here have both the V20 and the Axon 7? I purchased an Axon 7 because I wanted to try a bit smaller phone (and one that works with Daydream) and I have been comparing the sound. I am extremely surprised that two high quality sources can sound so drastically different. Right off the bat, the bass quantity (not quality) is huge on the Axon 7 compared to the V20. A/B tests make the V20 sound very thin with much less bass impact. Treble is much more extended on the V20 and I find it more pleasant. Mids are warm and lush on the Axon 7, similar on the V20 but not quite as warm. It's a totally different sound signature for me. 

Volume-wise, the Axon 7 was praised for being extremely loud and "broke" the pocketnow headphone test. Well, not mine! Even on "normal" mode, the V20 has loads more volume. On my Earsonics Velvet, I have the volume one notch from max on the Axon 7. It's very odd. Supposedly there was an update that reduced the volume, which just sucks. 

Overall the phone seems less polished and more buggy with Tidal compared to the V20 so I am going to return it, but, I love that bass slam that it provides! Now I'm sort of undecided on what I will do. Maybe I'll try an HTC 10 again for a best-of-both-worlds approach. Anyway, just providing some info/thoughts here in case people were deciding between the two. One last thing: when playing music through the HiFi DAC on the Axon 7, the phone gets pretty warm and drains the battery quickly (via Tidal at least). I never experienced this on the V20. 

-Collin-

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,244 of 4,141
Does anyone here have both the V20 and the Axon 7? I purchased an Axon 7 because I wanted to try a bit smaller phone (and one that works with Daydream) and I have been comparing the sound. I am extremely surprised that two high quality sources can sound so drastically different. Right off the bat, the bass quantity (not quality) is huge on the Axon 7 compared to the V20. A/B tests make the V20 sound very thin with much less bass impact. Treble is much more extended on the V20 and I find it more pleasant. Mids are warm and lush on the Axon 7, similar on the V20 but not quite as warm. It's a totally different sound signature for me. 

Volume-wise, the Axon 7 was praised for being extremely loud and "broke" the pocketnow headphone test. Well, not mine! Even on "normal" mode, the V20 has loads more volume. On my Earsonics Velvet, I have the volume one notch from max on the Axon 7. It's very odd. Supposedly there was an update that reduced the volume, which just sucks. 

Overall the phone seems less polished and more buggy with Tidal compared to the V20 so I am going to return it, but, I love that bass slam that it provides! Now I'm sort of undecided on what I will do. Maybe I'll try an HTC 10 again for a best-of-both-worlds approach. Anyway, just providing some info/thoughts here in case people were deciding between the two. One last thing: when playing music through the HiFi DAC on the Axon 7, the phone gets pretty warm and drains the battery quickly (via Tidal at least). I never experienced this on the V20. 

-Collin-

Axon 7 - Such a typical example of halfazzed implementation of DAC (Ak4490en -same foumd in fiio X5Iii)in a phone .
I had Same experience with Lenovo Vibe X3 (Ess Sabre Es9018k2m + Wolfson)a year back .

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,245 of 4,141
Axon 7 - Such a typical example of halfazzed implementation of DAC (Ak4490en -same foumd in fiio X5Iii)in a phone .
I had Same experience with Lenovo Vibe X3 (Ess Sabre Es9018k2m + Wolfson)a year back .

I hate to say it, but I agree. And I feel the same about their software. I was amazed when 7.1.1 hit the phone yesterday before almost every other manufacturer. But, maybe they took zero time to quality check it lol. It's a beautiful phone and hardware-wise I think it's great. 

Anyway on the audio front, well, it just seems way less polished than the LG. I was looking forward to a smaller phone, but alas the hunt continues. 

-Collin-

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2,246 of 4,141
I hate to say it, but I agree. And I feel the same about their software. I was amazed when 7.1.1 hit the phone yesterday before almost every other manufacturer. But, maybe they took zero time to quality check it lol. It's a beautiful phone and hardware-wise I think it's great. 

Anyway on the audio front, well, it just seems way less polished than the LG. I was looking forward to a smaller phone, but alas the hunt continues. 

-Collin-

A korean G6 maybe :)

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #2,247 of 4,141

Wow. They botched an asahi kasei DAC? The 4458 sounds great on my marantz 7702mkii. Couldn't justify spending another $2800 to get the 4490 in the 8802 pre pro.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,250 of 4,141
LG supposedly has improved on the sound. Interesting to see once the reviews come in. Sadly the Europeans get no love. No extra space, no wireless charging, no DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back