LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 14, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #946 of 4,141
...and I agree. If it is only using a portion of the Quad Dac on most headphones...then I truly feel sorry for other phones positioning themselves as audio phones... This one does everything I ask. Now, if only someone could make an app that would override the "normal, Aux and High" gain modes and let me select one to use it, that would be Awesome! Even if LG opened it up to us and had us check a box to say that we are aware of overriding their safety concerns and we risk our headphones/hearing it is on us. I'd be happy.

Side note: Sine is 20ohm, EL-8 is 30 ohm. In Aux mode... The EL-8 are driven well. Though, i want to pick up an adapter (in-line volume control) so that i can get them into High Gain mode.

That would be great. I'm trailing the added length of the inline volume cable now, as the high impedance mode is worth it on some tracks. There is a small amount of degredation as the volume pot isn't zero ohms full closed, so I use external mode for the normal volume tracks.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #947 of 4,141
Software EQ can only take things so far. Doesn't matter which app is "greater". In the end, I'm still going to want to add as much bass as possible. And that means hardware EQ via an amp. Such are the woes of a bass enthusiast. Not worthy of calling myself a basshead just yet.

You lost me here.

You don't believe firmware (Software tweaks) can make a difference compared to turning up a analog Bass dial.

Do you only use Amps that have absolutely no firmwarewre(software)?

If so I would like to know which ones.

Firmware/Drivers/Kernels are different than just a normal run of the mill Software EQ.
Viper4Android and/or custom Kernels for the sake of Audio tuning I guess could just be considered software tweaks.

That sounds like an oversimplification.

Er...back to LG V20 use

Are you using LG V20 in normal Aux mode or in Highagain before feeding external amp?
(Also which Amp?)

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #948 of 4,141
Software EQ can only take things so far. Doesn't matter which app is "greater". In the end, I'm still going to want to add as much bass as possible. And that means hardware EQ via an amp. Such are the woes of a bass enthusiast. Not worthy of calling myself a basshead just yet.

I get plenty of bass out of my TH-X00 PH... Yet you want more? Wow! You win!

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #949 of 4,141
All this reminds me of a post from another forum when there was a deal on the Fostex TH-900 mk2. Can't help laughing every time I read it: 

"These sound horrible compared to my beats. I want to be surrounded by the bass and only the bass."

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #950 of 4,141
  All this reminds me of a post from another forum when there was a deal on the Fostex TH-900 mk2. Can't help laughing every time I read it: 

"These sound horrible compared to my beats. I want to be surrounded by the bass and only the bass."

I mean, in fairness, there's nothing wrong with that. If that's the sound someone enjoys, who are any of us to tell them otherwise?

People forget that Beats aren't popular just by marketing and style, other brands tried that. The fact is that nearly all contemporary music is built on huge thudding kick drums and basslines so it's not surprisingly that bass-heavy headphones ended up causing the huge shakeup in the market. It really would not have mattered how much Dr Dre tried to promote a set of headphones that sounded like the HD600s, the huge consumer demographic that would be buying them would hate the fact that they don't sound like subwoofers. 

(fun test: try on Beats at a Best Buy and listen to the demo tracks. They actually DO sound good, because that kind of music plays to Beats' strengths.)

It's not my sound, but I don't get why it's totally cool for people to fawn over headphones with treble spikes for "detail" but if someone likes thundering bass somehow they're considered an inferior listener. 

Headphones serve one purpose: connect you to your music, presented in a way that you enjoy. Period. I don't care if that means your favorite headphones in the world are $3 buds you bought at a gas station. This stuff isn't a college course. No one is obligated to like any given genre of music or a particular sound presentation. End of transaction. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #951 of 4,141
  I mean, in fairness, there's nothing wrong with that. If that's the sound someone enjoys, who are any of us to tell them otherwise?

People forget that Beats aren't popular just by marketing and style, other brands tried that. The fact is that nearly all contemporary music is built on huge thudding kick drums and basslines so it's not surprisingly that bass-heavy headphones ended up causing the huge shakeup in the market. It really would not have mattered how much Dr Dre tried to promote a set of headphones that sounded like the HD600s, the huge consumer demographic that would be buying them would hate the fact that they don't sound like subwoofers. 

(fun test: try on Beats at a Best Buy and listen to the demo tracks. They actually DO sound good, because that kind of music plays to Beats' strengths.)

It's not my sound, but I don't get why it's totally cool for people to fawn over headphones with treble spikes for "detail" but if someone likes thundering bass somehow they're considered an inferior listener. 

Headphones serve one purpose: connect you to your music, presented in a way that you enjoy. Period. I don't care if that means your favorite headphones in the world are $3 buds you bought at a gas station. This stuff isn't a college course. No one is obligated to like any given genre of music or a particular sound presentation. End of transaction. 

I understand the sentiment that people have over having bass "surround" them but here is the issue i find: I have let some friends hear my JH Laylas and focal elear and all the testers have the same comment i.e. I am used to more bass. The problem with going from casual to audiophile equipment is that casual frequency spectrums are usually very far from flat and are intended to immediately excited, and most individuals are used to a lot of dirty bass--Dirty bass is just distortion. So when they constantly hear rumbling they think "wow, that is some crazy bass", so unless the tester actually has a music background, he/she won't understand what music SHOULD sound like.  Even when the bass is clearly more refined AND louder, people don't perceive that as being better because it isn't the distortion that muffles all 120hertz> frequencies to the point of feeling "surrounded".  One more anecdote: My brother has a $250 polk sub and he loves the bass, but when he hears my svs pb13Ultra he feels more deep frequencies but feels let down that he doesn't have the same level of bass aka "surround" that he experiences with his polk. If someone likes very, very unlinear lower frequencies that have massive distortions (30-50%) then beats is the way to go, but if you understand clean bass that goes very deep, then go the more "audiophile" route but of course you won't be surrounded by 120hertz-30hertz of distorted bass.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #952 of 4,141

Totally agree.  It's like wine or food, just because someone may like their food a bit saltier vs sweeter is their right.  They pay for the food, they can have it any way they want.  It does not mean they don't care about quality, they just have a preference.  Most here want a neutral sound, but the recording engineers made a decision, and the user can decide to emphasis what they want as well.  Quality for me is how clear each range sounds, regardless of emphasis.  Some music I want bass heavy and some I don't.  So I am finding myself changing out gear to get the experience I want for the genre and mood I am in.  And when I am in the dance mood, I want my body to feel the bass.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #953 of 4,141
  I understand the sentiment that people have over having bass "surround" them but here is the issue i find: I have let some friends hear my JH Laylas and focal elear and all the testers have the same comment i.e. I am used to more bass. The problem with going from casual to audiophile equipment is that casual frequency spectrums are usually very far from flat and are intended to immediately excited, and most individuals are used to a lot of dirty bass--Dirty bass is just distortion. So when they constantly hear rumbling they think "wow, that is some crazy bass", so unless the tester actually has a music background, he/she won't understand what music SHOULD sound like.  Even when the bass is clearly more refined AND louder, people don't perceive that as being better because it isn't the distortion that muffles all 120hertz> frequencies to the point of feeling "surrounded".  One more anecdote: My brother has a $250 polk sub and he loves the bass, but when he hears my svs pb13Ultra he feels more deep frequencies but feels let down that he doesn't have the same level of bass aka "surround" that he experiences with his polk. If someone likes very, very unlinear lower frequencies that have massive distortions (30-50%) then beats is the way to go, but if you understand clean bass that goes very deep, then go the more "audiophile" route but of course you won't be surrounded by 120hertz-30hertz of distorted bass.

^This.

^THIS^THIS^THIS^

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #955 of 4,141
  *as an amendment: I still agree with folks that people choose what they like....although I have a little disgust over it ha!

Good point.  But I have found that a non flat bass response affects the timing of the music.  So thundering bass tends to cover up the musical talent. Or cover the lack of talent.

Is this why modern R&B and hippity hop has so much bass?

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #956 of 4,141

Good point.  But I have found that a non flat bass response affects the timing of the music.  So thundering bass tends to cover up the musical talent. Or cover the lack of talent.

Is this why modern R&B and hippity hop has so much bass?

Ha yep. Hard not to be condescending but I am now in early 30s and only enjoyed that "surround" bass when I was in high school and I loved stock mids/highs with 2 12inch subs. I still really, really enjoy bass but only when it is clean.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #957 of 4,141
THIS is why I like headphones so much. If I want stupid bass and listen to a David Guetta or a Timmy Trumpet song... I reach for my Purple Hearts. If I want to listen to something more refined with vocals... I reach for my Audeze or my CIEMS. I just wish it were just as easy to do with a home setup. I can't afford nor have the space for 3 different speaker sets and multiple subs.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #959 of 4,141
Anyone try the HiFiMan RE-00?  They are rated at 20-20Khz and 64Ohm... Thoughts?

They work well with my V10. I don't have enough hours in them yet, but so far I still prefer my old RE-Zero.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #960 of 4,141

Have you tried Viper4android?  I respect what you're saying, but lets have that conversation after you have a chance to listen to Viper4android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back