LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 1, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #661 of 4,141

The HD598 is 50 ohms. It should be getting high power on both devices.

Hmmmm... guess it is possible then. O'well, Juan Bagnell did say it was hard to quantify how the amp is working with the constant changes it makes to power level.  I just tried using a "Y" splitter and plugged in my TH-X00 and my EL8 and they both were powered up fairly loudly. I guess I'm ok with the power level. I just hope that there is some trickery soon that will make all of this stuff a "non" issue.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #662 of 4,141
Forgive my potential rant. I bit the bullet and ordered the V20 from T-Mobile, took advantage of the $200 trade in for any garbage phone and asked for overnight shipping. Last night I got the shipping notification and woke up very excited. That excitement ended when I saw "UPS Ground." **sigh** called T-Mobile and nothing can be done since it's already in transit. I guess my V20 joys will start Monday instead of tomorrow. 

-Collin-

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #664 of 4,141
Not sure. The USA version volume stepping goes from 0 to 75. I don't that is volume limiter. I think that is the way they designed it on purpose. Seems like if you added much more vole it would go into distortion.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #669 of 4,141
Not sure. The USA version volume stepping goes from 0 to 75. I don't that is volume limiter. I think that is the way they designed it on purpose. Seems like if you added much more vole it would go into distortion.

Mine goes up to 75 as you state, but it does so in 5 block increments, therefore there are only 15 steps.  Is there a way to get the stepping to a true 1 step  (1-75).

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #670 of 4,141

Mine goes up to 75 as you state, but it does so in 5 block increments, therefore there are only 15 steps.  Is there a way to get the stepping to a true 1 step  (1-75).

On the V10 it goes in 5 block increments with the hardware buttons (unless you're using Poweramp Alpha), but you can use the slider in the notification tray for smaller adjustments

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #673 of 4,141

I read somewhere that the threshold of low and high sensitivity headphones on the V20 is 50 ohms, so maybe each phone is selection a different side of that measurement.

On the V10, it was "around 50 ohms" and my 50-ohm Pinnacle P1 never kicked it into high gain and therefore it was WAY too quiet for those IEMs. I sure hope the V20 corrects this as I love those IEMs! They really need a more powerful amp so here's to hoping. 

-Collin-

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #674 of 4,141

I read somewhere that the threshold of low and high sensitivity headphones on the V20 is 50 ohms, so maybe each phone is selection a different side of that measurement.

On the V10, it was "around 50 ohms" and my 50-ohm Pinnacle P1 never kicked it into high gain and therefore it was WAY too quiet for those IEMs. I sure hope the V20 corrects this as I love those IEMs! They really need a more powerful amp so here's to hoping. 

-Collin-

Two of the exact same headphone model can have a few ohms difference just from the manufacturing process. No two are exactly alike which is why people like Tyll have measured multiple pairs of the same headphone.

If he had used 2 different HD598s to test the volumes then ok but it was the exact same pair. I've always thought the V10 'rounded' up or down anyway since a pair of my 48 ohm headphones get high power. Also, the only way I couldn't get high power on my HD598 and V10 is to use a short cable with remote from ebay.

Don't know if they changed how the auto sense works on the V20 but remember, unlike the V10, it's dac and amp are on the same chip and this time parts of the dac can also be disabled. Who knows, if all '4' dacs aren't running wouldn't that raise the noise floor a tiny bit and affect max volume output?

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #675 of 4,141

You can manually adjust the slider and change the steps by "1" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back