LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 30, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #631 of 4,141
I tried with an adapter, and then plugging in my EL8, but I don't know if it set itself to "high" power or not. How do I check that?

Settings /Sound/Hi-fi Dac/

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #632 of 4,141
I just don't like the idea that with all these other phones youre paying hundreds, sometimes close to a thousand for a phone that will eventually become a paperweight once the battery wears out. I don't ever want a phone with a battery sealed in. If you're trading in a phone every year I guess it doesn't matter, but I usually keep my phones for 2 plus years, maybe more.

I haven't had a phone where the battery was truly sealed in, yet.

Some are not easily swappable, but they behave more like watches where you set time aside to disassemble and replace battery.

Replacent batteries themselves are pretty inexpensive and as long as you can be patient and steady with hands/tools you can swap a "sealed in" battery.
The worst batteries are the ones that are soldered in-place, especially if they are using micro-solder.

LG Nexus 5, Moto Nexus 6, Note 7(RIP) : I removed the battery from all of these devices Note 7 battery was removed for travel sake.Nexus 5 & 6 were to replace aged batteries.

I'll probably end up replacing my Pixel battery in a year or two. (Most likely getting next year's Google device of it is Sprint Upgrade eligible.)

With the LG V 20 ..the difference is I will order the battery when the original starts to fail and I can swap on the fly, without needing to take time out of my day.

What has happened in the past with phones like HTC Touch Pro 2 or Nextel Falcon series is constant swapping of batteries would ruin the battery contacts : then the phone felt like nothing more than a paperweight because I wasn't going to replace onboard battery contacts.

Back then there wasn't Quick/Fast charging and battery life was atrocious if using Data/music/video/media. Carrying extra batteries to make it through the day was more commonplace.

(I went through 2 Nextel i930's and 1 Nextel i920 in 11montja because the battery contacts wore out from excessive battery swapping. Was using 4 batteries a day.) Bit that is an extreme.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #634 of 4,141
WayTooCrazy said:
I see "External Device", but nothing that states a "Hi" or "Standard" or anything in regards to Amp power level.

Aux or External Device *is* increased amp power. There are 3 levels of amp power in the hifi dac

Normal Device
External Audio Device
High Impedance Device

The difference in volume between the is easily noticed.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #635 of 4,141
My V20 should arrive Wednesday, looking forward to it!

Glad to have found this confirmation :
https://www.aptx.com/products/lgv20
I have several apt-x bt products, including amp boards that ive installed in my own speakers, but apt-x hd should be another step-up for wireless SQ. ive already supported the indigogo Bluewave Get, which should have aptx hd tech in a Bluetooth Headphone Amp, should be great combo (with good headphones/iems) for V20!

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #638 of 4,141
There is a way for the LG V10, once it's rooted. Hopefully the same method can be found for the LG V20.

Here's to hoping for a non-root patch. I'd rather not root of i can help it.

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #639 of 4,141
Here's to hoping for a non-root patch. I'd rather not root of i can help it.

Ditto. I use my phone for work and our enterprise email system doesn't run on rooted phones.

Until then, you can always use the headphone extender trick to fool the phone into external device mode. I'm still trying to figure out if there's a similar device I could use to fool it into high impedance.

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #640 of 4,141
Someone compare sound quality/signature between

LG V20 (B&O logo) VS LG V20 (No B&O logo) on the back. We don't get B&O earbuds, instead they offered free LG Infinitum. 

We have received stock and I am confused now. On the verge of ordering internationally. 

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #641 of 4,141
Ditto. I use my phone for work and our enterprise email system doesn't run on rooted phones.

Until then, you can always use the headphone extender trick to fool the phone into external device mode. I'm still trying to figure out if there's a similar device I could use to fool it into high impedance.

There are 3.5mm Impedence adapters on the net... but I'm not sure which to purchase. That would be a nice workaround.

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #643 of 4,141
I haven't had a phone where the battery was truly sealed in, yet.

Some are not easily swappable, but they behave more like watches where you set time aside to disassemble and replace battery.

Replacent batteries themselves are pretty inexpensive and as long as you can be patient and steady with hands/tools you can swap a "sealed in" battery.
The worst batteries are the ones that are soldered in-place, especially if they are using micro-solder.

LG Nexus 5, Moto Nexus 6, Note 7(RIP) : I removed the battery from all of these devices Note 7 battery was removed for travel sake.Nexus 5 & 6 were to replace aged batteries.

I'll probably end up replacing my Pixel battery in a year or two. (Most likely getting next year's Google device of it is Sprint Upgrade eligible.)

With the LG V 20 ..the difference is I will order the battery when the original starts to fail and I can swap on the fly, without needing to take time out of my day.

What has happened in the past with phones like HTC Touch Pro 2 or Nextel Falcon series is constant swapping of batteries would ruin the battery contacts : then the phone felt like nothing more than a paperweight because I wasn't going to replace onboard battery contacts.

Back then there wasn't Quick/Fast charging and battery life was atrocious if using Data/music/video/media. Carrying extra batteries to make it through the day was more commonplace.

(I went through 2 Nextel i930's and 1 Nextel i920 in 11montja because the battery contacts wore out from excessive battery swapping. Was using 4 batteries a day.) Bit that is an extreme.

Have you every tried the 40-80 rule when it comes to charging your battery.  I'd recommend it.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #645 of 4,141
Have you every tried the 40-80 rule when it comes to charging your battery.  I'd recommend it.

I don't follow the 40-80 rule due to heat associated with Quick/Fast charging.

Quick(Qualcomm)/Fast(Samsung)/Rapid as indicated on Pixel(USB C Power Delivery)
If I plug in the 60watt USB C charger into the Pixel phone it charges faster than the supplied Charger up until about 85%. From 85% to phone indicated 100% the 60watt charger and other chargers charge at the same pace of about 1% per minute.

In regards to heat: Galaxy S6 & Note 7 would heat up the most while using Fast charging. (To the point where charging would turn off because battery was too hot and this is well before reaching 80%. Especially if Fast Charging in car while in AZ summer heat.)

I've only had Nexus 6 and now LG V20 that utilize Qualcomm Quick charge. They are behaving similarly to Samsung Fast Charging where they warm up when Quick charge is being applied. (Never had heat warning on LG V20 zero but Nexus 6 has stopped charging due to heat warning/prompt)

In my experience the heat has been more of detriment to device battery longevity than charging until full.

I would think the Charging software/circuits have improved over time to assist on protecting the battery.
(Well aside from Note 7's flaw)

But compared to lithium ion batteries used for R/C airplanes/cars : I getting much better battery life from Smartphones and laptops. (In regards to charge cycles and retained capacity.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back