LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 21, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #422 of 4,141
I have read several articles saying that the V20 won't get released in Europe at all. But let's see, as far as I remember V10 was also delayed in Europe.

The last time I spoke to LG Germany, they said it was "highly unlikely" the V20 will be released in Europe.  Apparently, the limited release of the V10 did not generate enough interest.

I wasn't talking about a release. Just the possibility to buy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Clove Technology https://www.clove.co.uk/ are planning to stock imported models of the V20. I'm not sure which countries they will sell to outside the UK. The only downside is the markup price on top of the already high price for the V20 unlocked.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #424 of 4,141
Keep an eye on this, too:
http://www.handtec.co.uk/lg-v20-titan-lgv2064gbttn.html

I can vouch for both Clove and Handtec as I have purchased almost a dozen of flagship phones here in the last 8 years.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #425 of 4,141
Didn't know about these two UK websites. Thanks for the links :).

And sad about Europe and quality sounding smartphones. We are a very small minority. I dont think the HTC 10 sells very good either. But you can buy Samsung and apple everywhere.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #427 of 4,141
  I've really been enjoying my V20 since it came in yesterday from T-Mobile. I don't think I've managed to do much other than listen to music on my V20 since it came in. I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to developing my ears but I've had fun switching between my **** 4in1 IEMs and my Sennheiser HD598s. I definitely think it sounds better than my HTC 10 did driving the 598's but that's probably just the extra power from the quad DAC. I have a Dragonfly black headed my way for use on other devices and it might be fun to try and A&B it with the V20. 

I'm looking forward to your comparison with Dragonfly Black with V20 and stock V20 sound. :)

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #429 of 4,141
I'm testing it right now at work with against my DP-X1. When I get home I'll test it against my other phones.

Awesome! The only DAP that I was even considering purchasing. Let us know what your thoughts are so far. How does it stack up (the phone to the DAP)?

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #430 of 4,141
Here are the Equipment that I'm going to use when I get home.

Headphones:

Oppo PM-1
Oppo PM-3
Audeze EL8 Open back
Philips Fidelio x2
Shure 535 Brown edition with flextip

DAP:

Oneplus One
Oneplus Two
Oneplus Three
LG V10
Samsung Note Edge
Nexus 6
Ipad 3RD Gen
Samsung Tab Gen 2

DAC/AMP
Oppo HA-2
Dragonfly Black ver. 2

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #431 of 4,141
Oct 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #432 of 4,141
I have had some quality listening time using the Stock music player, Neutron and Poweramp. The new Poweramp beta isn't recognizing the LG V20 as the Snapdragon, it functions and sounds good just doesn't utilize the DAC as it should. I will stick with the Stock Music player and Tidal for streaming in this discussion. The headphones are the Audeze Sine and the Rhapsodio Solar iem's. The Sine being the most difficult to drive. Both hp's sound great through stock music player. I was using the 24bit Jazz at the Pawnshop as a test. I felt when listening with the Sine I could have used a bit more power as I had the power almost maxed. With the Solar the volume was around 60% and was plenty loud. Using Neutron I could achieve the volume I needed for the Sine.

The sound is very clear with no hiss or background noise. I felt the sound stage was great as well as the instrument separation. I would not classify this as a warm sound, though the bass is definitely present and balanced. All of details are getting through to my headphones, and I am hearing the ice in glasses and sticks tapping the cymbals and smiling all the while. I would feel confident to say I am achieving a quality listening experience using only the V20. I do not feel the need to carry the AK120 II for quality listening. I am not getting into a debate over better or worse. I think the V20 achieves what it sets out to do. With a 256gb micro sd in each of my devices I have plenty of music to enjoy. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #433 of 4,141

I felt when listening with the Sine I could have used a bit more power as I had the power almost maxed. With the Solar the volume was around 60% and was plenty loud. Using Neutron I could achieve the volume I needed for the Sine.

Thanks for the early impressions.

If the V20 operates like the V10 you're likely getting only normal power to the 20 ohm Sines.

Try checking the sound settings to see if the hifi dac shows normal or high. Afaik the V20 also lacks a manual setting so you might try a 3.5mm adaptor or extender (plugged into the V20 first then connect headphones second) to get aux power. That could provide the extra power your Sines need.

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #434 of 4,141
Thanks for the early impressions.

If the V20 operates like the V10 you're likely getting only normal power to the 20 ohm Sines.

Try checking the sound settings to see if the hifi dac shows normal or high. Afaik the V20 also lacks a manual setting so you might try a 3.5mm adaptor or extender (plugged into the V20 first then connect headphones second) to get aux power. That could provide the extra power your Sines need.

With the Sines, unplug the headset end, insert the phone plug, then reattach the headset. Then see if the phone recognises the headphones as high impedance and ups the output level.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #435 of 4,141
With the Sines, unplug the headset end, insert the phone plug, then reattach the headset. Then see if the phone recognises the headphones as high impedance and ups the output level.

Yeah, I forgot the Sines have removable cables.

That works on the V10 but it only gives aux power since the phone first detects a cable being connected with nothing (yet) on the other end. Normal and high depend on how much resistance it detects from the headphone but it requires at least 50 ohms and no in-line remote/mic on the cable for high power.

Hopefully, V20 owners can confirm if it works the same or differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back