LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 12, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #361 of 4,141
Also I should add that a phone catching fire is a critical incident, if only 1 phone in any company decides to self combust, the entire model should be recalled, that I agree with.
But not 30 harmless faulty phones, out of how many thousands, your comparison has nil logic.

Exactly. A fault that can cause physical harm to yourself and others cannot be equated to an issue that is basically just an inconvenience.

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #362 of 4,141
But not 30 harmless faulty phones, out of how many thousands, your comparison has nil logic.

I don't think so. A bug is a bug, especially when it affects customers data and usage. Catching fire is critical, but turning your $700 phone to a brick all of sudden isn't? It's very logical to me, and to the people who have a bootloop LG phone. (G4, G5, V10).

Regarding v20, I still think it would potentially a great phone, but the bootlooping issue occurred in a series of recent LG phones spell problem in LG quality control, and it holds me back from getting it first hand (aside from its $800 price tag)

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #363 of 4,141
Same here. It took 11 weeks for my phone to get repaired and had to buy a Nexus 6P in the mean time. Funny that the 6P died a day before the repaired G4 was to be delivered, hahaha! I had to use a clam shell dumb phone for 24 hours and that was hell.

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #364 of 4,141
I don't think so. A bug is a bug, especially when it affects customers data and usage. Catching fire is critical, but turning your $700 phone to a brick all of sudden isn't? It's very logical to me, and to the people who have a bootloop LG phone. (G4, G5, V10).

Regarding v20, I still think it would potentially a great phone, but the bootlooping issue occurred in a series of recent LG phones spell problem in LG quality control, and it holds me back from getting it first hand (aside from its $800 price tag)

Exactly. A fault that can cause physical harm to yourself and others cannot be equated to an issue that is basically just an inconvenience.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #365 of 4,141
I'm curious if I can use a third party music player app (eg. Neutron, Poweramp) and it's custom eq settings while using the dac. When I looked at the stock music player, the eq function in the settings was disabled and unable to toggle on/off when I went into the store to take a brief look at it. I guess I'll have to go back install it and try it myself.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #366 of 4,141
I'm curious if I can use a third party music player app (eg. Neutron, Poweramp) and it's custom eq settings while using the dac. When I looked at the stock music player, the eq function in the settings was disabled and unable to toggle on/off when I went into the store to take a brief look at it. I guess I'll have to go back install it and try it myself.

I saw a review which said that the EQ is disabled when lossless formats are played, but available for lossy ones. The idea being lossy may need a little help, but users of lossless don't want EQ messing up the sound. This appeals to me as most EQ systems mess up more than they fix.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #367 of 4,141
I saw a review which said that the EQ is disabled when lossless formats are played, but available for lossy ones. The idea being lossy may need a little help, but users of lossless don't want EQ messing up the sound. This appeals to me as most EQ systems mess up more than they fix.

I see. Thanks for the explanation!

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #368 of 4,141
I enjoy reading about the V20 items here. I've opened up a Pixel/XL thread on XDA-Developers website, and was inundated with remarks to use "Viper4Android" and other software tricks to get phones with crappy DACs to sound good. No matter how many times I mentioned that I'm not interested in software "hacks" to tailor the sound, I wanted a pure, clean sound first. If I then feel I need to EQ my headphones to suit me better to the sound of the device, that is different than a crappy device that needs to be EQed to just sound good in the first place. Then I have no baseline on what the heck I was doing and I would muck things up even more.  Well, that is my opinion anyway.

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #369 of 4,141
  I enjoy reading about the V20 items here. I've opened up a Pixel/XL thread on XDA-Developers website, and was inundated with remarks to use "Viper4Android" and other software tricks to get phones with crappy DACs to sound good. No matter how many times I mentioned that I'm not interested in software "hacks" to tailor the sound, I wanted a pure, clean sound first. If I then feel I need to EQ my headphones to suit me better to the sound of the device, that is different than a crappy device that needs to be EQed to just sound good in the first place. Then I have no baseline on what the heck I was doing and I would muck things up even more.  Well, that is my opinion anyway.

what is viper4android?Is it a software ?can my z3 use it?

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #371 of 4,141

i agree!

Also, im hear to tell u that viper4android with Dolby atmos on v10 is amazing!!!

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #372 of 4,141

would this make the lgv10/v20 or dac relatively useless?

Ditching the DAC: Audio-Technica DSR9BT 

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/139156-ditching-the-dac-audio-technica-dsr9bt-bluetooth-headphones-go-all-digital-with-pure-digital-drive-tech

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #373 of 4,141

would this make the lgv10/v20 or dac relatively useless?

Ditching the DAC: Audio-Technica DSR9BT 

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/139156-ditching-the-dac-audio-technica-dsr9bt-bluetooth-headphones-go-all-digital-with-pure-digital-drive-tech

Yes, all Bluetooth bypasses the onboard DAC and uses one in the headphones. The wireless transfer isn't analog.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #374 of 4,141
So, a different question about the V20.  I've read that B&O "tuned" the sound for the V20 released in S. Korea.  The devices in at least S. Korea were even branded B&O on the back.  The release pictures I have seen for the U.S. don't have the B&O branding on the back of the V20.  Does anyone know if the U.S. version of the V20 has the "Play B&O" tuning and what that means?  If the U.S. version of the V20 doesn't have the B&O tuning, what would be the impact (if any) to the SQ?

I know the rest of the world had access to the B&O Play module for the G5, but, not the U.S.!  So Strange!

Any insights or thoughts will be appreciated.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #375 of 4,141
So, a different question about the V20.  I've read that B&O "tuned" the sound for the V20 released in S. Korea.  The devices in at least S. Korea were even branded B&O on the back.  The release pictures I have seen for the U.S. don't have the B&O branding on the back of the V20.  Does anyone know if the U.S. version of the V20 has the "Play B&O" tuning and what that means?  If the U.S. version of the V20 doesn't have the B&O tuning, what would be the impact (if any) to the SQ?

I know the rest of the world had access to the B&O Play module for the G5, but, not the U.S.!  So Strange!

Any insights or thoughts will be appreciated.

The US model does not have the B&O tuning. I'm pretty sure LG has confirmed this is a Korea / Asia only feature. Based on the comparisons between the V10 and LG G5 with the module, it seems the B&O tuning is slightly warmer. We won't know for sure until the V20 is released, but even then somebody will have to compare the two models. Please feel free for anybody to correct me on anything I've written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back