LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 10, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #331 of 4,141
LG might be getting a new adopter here, I'm not sure whether it can replace my DP-X1 but it ticks all the boxes. Such a shame Samsung has to go all through this.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #332 of 4,141
LG might be getting a new adopter here, I'm not sure whether it can replace my DP-X1 but it ticks all the boxes. Such a shame Samsung has to go all through this.

I may also be onboard. I'm worried the bootloop issue happens on more than one phone from LG. Once is a mistake, twice could be slack development validation.

But I want 1Vrms or more output, microSD card or >128GB. HTC10 hits that, or this V20. I like the sound of a wide angle second camera. The iPhone 7 fits, but the lightning dongle is a bit of a PITA and feels fragile (but a better output impedance than iPhone 6s). I'm trying it out, but converting all my hires to 48KHz is a pain.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #334 of 4,141
I really hope it comes to the US in some kind of factory unlocked form without the bloat. I also hope they've minimized their layering on top of a strong Android 7 nougat base coat. I'll get it either way, if only to hear for myself what the phone could be capable of.

B&H Photo has it listed as a pre-order on their web site.  Here is the link.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1285960-REG/lg_lgus996_ausatn_lg_v20_4gb_ram.html

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #336 of 4,141
No more note 7s.  They've stopped making them for good and instructed everyone to shut them down and turn them in.  Never had anything to do with the battery in the first place, seems like they "tested" the original ones, couldn't figure it out, and assumed the battery was the issue and replaced it with a different one.  If they couldn't reproduce the overheating in a controlled environment to figure out exactly what was wrong, why the hell would they ship them out again?  I've been a Samsung guy for 3 years now, and REALLY liked both my note 4 and note 7, but it seems like that won't be the case anymore.  Very disappointed in the way they handled this.

Sorry for the rant, just found out about an hour ago that I wouldn't be allowed to keep my beloved phone, so still a bit angry over it.

I do like the V20, but the second screen thing seems silly to me.  To be fair the stylus on the note series is just as silly (nobody ever uses that), but I'm afraid the second screen would be annoying when trying to pull down the notification/quick settings tray, which would be a problem.

Will probably just refund the note and see how people like the V20, then decide between that or a Pixel XL.  Will definitely get the V20 if the audio is as good as it's being hyped up to be though.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #338 of 4,141
I may also be onboard. I'm worried the bootloop issue happens on more than one phone from LG. Once is a mistake, twice could be slack development validation.

But I want 1Vrms or more output, microSD card or >128GB. HTC10 hits that, or this V20. I like the sound of a wide angle second camera. The iPhone 7 fits, but the lightning dongle is a bit of a PITA and feels fragile (but a better output impedance than iPhone 6s). I'm trying it out, but converting all my hires to 48KHz is a pain.

The bootloop 'issue' on lg is caused by a failing battery. Replacing the battery solves it, its not a design flaw.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #339 of 4,141
High!

I'm looking for an upgrade, - either an 'audiophile grade smartphone', or a combo of 'smartphone + portable headphone amplifier'.

What are your thoughts (cons/pros) on comparing these two alternatives:
1. 'LG V20' or
2. 'iPhone 7plus + Portable Headphone Amplifier' ?

I'm using 'JVC HA-FX700 Stereo Mini-Headphones' wired to iPhone 4S in Apple OSX environment (iTunes/Match, Mac etc), but looking now for best sounding alternatives to iPhone, and LG V20 seem very appealing...

What are your thoughts ?

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #341 of 4,141
No more note 7s.  They've stopped making them for good and instructed everyone to shut them down and turn them in.  Never had anything to do with the battery in the first place, seems like they "tested" the original ones, couldn't figure it out, and assumed the battery was the issue and replaced it with a different one.  If they couldn't reproduce the overheating in a controlled environment to figure out exactly what was wrong, why the hell would they ship them out again?  I've been a Samsung guy for 3 years now, and REALLY liked both my note 4 and note 7, but it seems like that won't be the case anymore.  Very disappointed in the way they handled this.

Sorry for the rant, just found out about an hour ago that I wouldn't be allowed to keep my beloved phone, so still a bit angry over it.

I do like the V20, but the second screen thing seems silly to me.  To be fair the stylus on the note series is just as silly (nobody ever uses that), but I'm afraid the second screen would be annoying when trying to pull down the notification/quick settings tray, which would be a problem.

Will probably just refund the note and see how people like the V20, then decide between that or a Pixel XL.  Will definitely get the V20 if the audio is as good as it's being hyped up to be though.

The battery issue is never that simple. When you sell >1.7 million, and only 10s of units fail, it is difficult to catch that in heat tests. There is more to it. Long term testing of the battery and very careful monitoring of the cell supplier is necessary. Perhaps they rushed the product out to beat the iPhone 7 and didn't do enough testing, and/or tried to pack too much capacity into a smaller space.

The Note 7 is a PR disaster for Samsung, but they appear to be doing the right thing to safe guard the customer and what's left of their reputation.

LG and almost every other manufacturer has screwed up at some point in the past. It's what they do to handle that makes out the good guys from the Apple.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #343 of 4,141
High!

I'm looking for an upgrade, - either an 'audiophile grade smartphone', or a combo of 'smartphone + portable headphone amplifier'.

What are your thoughts (cons/pros) on comparing these two alternatives:
1. 'LG V20' or
2. 'iPhone 7plus + Portable Headphone Amplifier' ?

I'm using 'JVC HA-FX700 Stereo Mini-Headphones' wired to iPhone 4S in Apple OSX environment (iTunes/Match, Mac etc), but looking now for best sounding alternatives to iPhone, and LG V20 seem very appealing...

What are your thoughts ?

If you really want another iPhone, go for the iPhone.  But the very big and obvious con with the iPhone 7 is of course the lack of a headphone jack.  The reasoning behind removing is sounds pretty BS to me, and is most likely them just trying to make more money on royalties.  Personally I wouldn't buy an iPhone for this reason alone (and the whole "everything apple must be proprietary" thing), but since you're going to be using an amp it wouldn't be too much of an issue for usability anyway.  Other than that, I suggest you wait until the V20 comes out and read some reviews from people on this thread, as well as some of the mainstream tech guys for more feature-oriented reviewing on it.

The battery issue is never that simple. When you sell >1.7 million, and only 10s of units fail, it is difficult to catch that in heat tests. There is more to it. Long term testing of the battery and very careful monitoring of the cell supplier is necessary. Perhaps they rushed the product out to beat the iPhone 7 and didn't do enough testing, and/or tried to pack too much capacity into a smaller space.

The Note 7 is a PR disaster for Samsung, but they appear to be doing the right thing to safe guard the customer and what's left of their reputation.

LG and almost every other manufacturer has screwed up at some point in the past. It's what they do to handle that makes out the good guys from the Apple.

I know i was over-simplifying everything a bit, and I'll probably give them another chance, maybe i'll even take a look at the S7 edge when it comes time to replace it.  I was just in a really foul mood since I REALLY liked my Note 7.  IMO (aside from the whole "bursting into flames" bit) it's perfect.  Looks amazing, feels amazing in the hand, killer specs, perfect.  Bad idea to make a post about it while I was still mad.  But they definitely screwed up big time trying to re-release it sooner than they should have without sorting everything out correctly first.  Definitely interested to see how they attempt to salvage this mess though.

(also it was over 90 cases in the US, over 100 worldwide, but I get your point)

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #344 of 4,141
If you really want another iPhone, go for the iPhone. But the very big and obvious con with the iPhone 7 is of course the lack of a headphone jack. The reasoning behind removing is sounds pretty BS to me, and is most likely them just trying to make more money on royalties. Personally I wouldn't buy an iPhone for this reason alone (and the whole "everything apple must be proprietary" thing), but since you're going to be using an amp it wouldn't be too much of an issue for usability anyway. Other than that, I suggest you wait until the V20 comes out and read some reviews from people on this thread, as well as some of the mainstream tech guys for more feature-oriented reviewing on it.

Thanks, yes that was my plan.

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #345 of 4,141

If you really want another iPhone, go for the iPhone.  But the very big and obvious con with the iPhone 7 is of course the lack of a headphone jack.  The reasoning behind removing is sounds pretty BS to me, and is most likely them just trying to make more money on royalties.  Personally I wouldn't buy an iPhone for this reason alone (and the whole "everything apple must be proprietary" thing), but since you're going to be using an amp it wouldn't be too much of an issue for usability anyway.  Other than that, I suggest you wait until the V20 comes out and read some reviews from people on this thread, as well as some of the mainstream tech guys for more feature-oriented reviewing on it.

I know i was over-simplifying everything a bit, and I'll probably give them another chance, maybe i'll even take a look at the S7 edge when it comes time to replace it.  I was just in a really foul mood since I REALLY liked my Note 7.  IMO (aside from the whole "bursting into flames" bit) it's perfect.  Looks amazing, feels amazing in the hand, killer specs, perfect.  Bad idea to make a post about it while I was still mad.  But they definitely screwed up big time trying to re-release it sooner than they should have without sorting everything out correctly first.  Definitely interested to see how they attempt to salvage this mess though.

(also it was over 90 cases in the US, over 100 worldwide, but I get your point)

yeah the reason they gave is quite BS.They said they remove headphone jack to save space but they put a HUGE taptic engine in it which is not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back