LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #3,076 of 4,141

yes i use uapp and the built in player. By the way, notice the music app won't allow you to use the lg app eq when playing hifi. notice error message at bottom of attached photo. I wonder why?

What effects are you referring to? Depending on code, it maybe some depricated IO used, or just the in ability to accept that sample rate for that code. I have tried Equalizer FX and all its effects work regardless of input.

But I am not an expert by any means on any EQ/DSP code. I realize there are lots and lots of people who like music and audio tech, and also like DSP. There are also lots of people like me, who strive for the purest path, most unaltered reproduction of file. For me, using any DSP/EQ in the digital or analog domain destroys nuances and detracts from the experience I am trying to recreate. Even though at first listen in many ways it may sound more appealing or "better". This is not a debate , I fully respect both camps...and let everyone enjoy their music as they best see fit.

Best

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3,077 of 4,141

yes i use uapp and the built in player. By the way, notice the music app won't allow you to use the lg app eq when playing hifi 24 bit 96khz. notice error message at bottom of attached photo. I wonder why?
Maybe it's because the EQ is part of Android, and as such there will be downsampling of the hi-res tracks if they're put through the EQ and the LG player actually plays hi-res files at their native resolution

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #3,078 of 4,141
or just the in ability to accept that sample rate for that code.

I think that's it.

I'm talking about the eq in lg player. I have tried Equalizer FX but no eq works for the 24bit hifi files not even viper4android. However, eq works when i'm using uapp.

Hope this is fixed on v30 which will be out tomorrow!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #3,081 of 4,141
I think that's it.

I'm talking about the eq in lg player. I have tried Equalizer FX but no eq works for the 24bit hifi files not even viper4android. However, eq works when i'm using uapp.

Hope this is fixed on v30 which will be out tomorrow!

Before I posted that Equalizer FX works...I did try it...it had no problems functioning with an assortment of Hi-Def files via UAPP. Not sure how it is different on yours?

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,082 of 4,141
Before I posted that Equalizer FX works...I did try it...it had no problems functioning with an assortment of Hi-Def files via UAPP. Not sure how it is different on yours?
yes they all work with uapp but try lg music app or black player. Make sure lg music app says hifi at the top. It won't work.

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #3,083 of 4,141
Anyone here have a macbook pro 2015 or 2016 they can briefly compare to the v20? Specifically using the Tidal mqa desktop app? Trying to see if my ears are deceiving me.

When the Tidal app was released for the desktops....I tried it on my Mac Book Pro (2016) and PC (Windows 10 i3 NUC). This is a very interesting question for me too...and I ponder it greatly. I am a huge fan of MQA and like what it does. Although my speaker setup on my PC and Apple Chipset in the Mac are hardly high fidelity, the Monitors I use on the PC and headphones on the Mac are pretty decent. The main factors for sound quality here that are getting jumbled around are those of source quality/fidelity (Very High with MQA) ..... vs DAC/Amp fidelity on the v20 with lesser quality (MQA is not played). So it is proverbial statement as to what is more important the quality of the master and rendering of the file into Bits....or what comes after that in the audio stream (DAC/Amp).

I think both are very important for fantastic sound. Does Fancy MQA source and Mediocre DAC/AMP (Tidal on PC or Mac) sound better than Non MQA source and fantastic DAC/AMP sound in V20? To me...so far the answer is in most ways no. Having them both together would be stellar I think (I have not heard that yet).....but if given a choice.....I will be happier with the V20 sound signature and merits. When considering the v20 will make every sound file sound great, not just MQA ones....makes the argument of whats more important that much easier for me. With all this said, I still enjoy my MQA masters on my desktop systems (or laptop). Note that MQA is deliberately hobbled to unfold only to 96Khz on the Software Decoders. MQA requires licenced HW decoders to unfold to 192 or higher sample rates.

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #3,084 of 4,141
When the Tidal app was released for the desktops....I tried it on my Mac Book Pro (2016) and PC (Windows 10 i3 NUC). This is a very interesting question for me too...and I ponder it greatly. I am a huge fan of MQA and like what it does. Although my speaker setup on my PC and Apple Chipset in the Mac are hardly high fidelity, the Monitors I use on the PC and headphones on the Mac are pretty decent. The main factors for sound quality here that are getting jumbled around are those of source quality/fidelity (Very High with MQA) ..... vs DAC/Amp fidelity on the v20 with lesser quality (MQA is not played). So it is proverbial statement as to what is more important the quality of the master and rendering of the file into Bits....or what comes after that in the audio stream (DAC/Amp).

I think both are very important for fantastic sound. Does Fancy MQA source and Mediocre DAC/AMP (Tidal on PC or Mac) sound better than Non MQA source and fantastic DAC/AMP sound in V20? To me...so far the answer is in most ways no. Having them both together would be stellar I think (I have not heard that yet).....but if given a choice.....I will be happier with the V20 sound signature and merits. When considering the v20 will make every sound file sound great, not just MQA ones....makes the argument of whats more important that much easier for me. With all this said, I still enjoy my MQA masters on my desktop systems (or laptop). Note that MQA is deliberately hobbled to unfold only to 96Khz on the Software Decoders. MQA requires licenced HW decoders to unfold to 192 or higher sample rates.
Nice

I have 2 I use for testing. 1 is colored and 1 is flat for studio monitoring.

On the 1 that's colored um pro 50, tidal masters on macbook pro doesn't sound too hot or not much different in quality vs v20 from short testing imho.

On my flat studio mixing, mqa sounds really good, detailed with wide soundstage. However, still a tad bit heavy on the bass with Macbook pro.

I've been researching the forums and everyone seems amazed at the sound quality of the late model macbook pro including myself..

Macbook has the cirrus logic dacs. I've been testing sounds good but that could change with more testing.

Are you using reference level iem or headphones or which headphones/iem are you using for testing?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #3,085 of 4,141
Nice

I have 2 I use for testing. 1 is colored and 1 is flat for studio monitoring.

On the 1 that's colored um pro 50, tidal masters on macbook pro doesn't sound too hot or not much different in quality vs v20 from short testing imho.

On my flat studio mixing, mqa sounds really good, detailed with wide soundstage. However, still a tad bit heavy on the bass with Macbook pro.

I've been researching the forums and everyone seems amazed at the sound quality of the late model macbook pro including myself..

Macbook has the cirrus logic dacs. I've been testing sounds good but that could change with more testing.

Are you using reference level iem or headphones?

Nope not reference level at all....MacBook Pro doesnt have gobs of gain... On the PC side I use little Emotiva 4s Powered Monitors. Bang for buck they are great. I do think they would sound better with higher quality line amps and DACs in the PC.

What amazes me most about listening to Tidal MQA and non MQA same track and equipment is the extreme sense of space and positioning of instruments. Also the fatigue free yet detailed highs are the 2nd most astounding thing.

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #3,089 of 4,141
Nope, sorry!

A little off-topic but How about the camera quality? Is it a dropping from both rear and front camera? I am really concerned with their 5MP front camera.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #3,090 of 4,141
What headphones are you guys using with your V20?
I currently use the Fidelio X2 and awaiting a pair of VE Monk Plus.
But I would also like a pair of portable over-ear headphones when I'm out and about..
Any good tips?

I will head down to the local shop when I've got the time and try out the V-moda Crossfade LP2 & ath-M50x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back