LG V20 Sound Quality
Mar 9, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2,191 of 4,141
how do you do that, ismnt linum Super BaX cable supposed to have very low impedence?
Yeah, it definitely is extremely low impedance. I can't recreate the high gain turning on like it did to save my life. That's the only time I have ever had it turn on and I can't get it to do it again.

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #2,194 of 4,141
There you go bro!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5mm-Impedance-Adapter-20ohm-75ohm-100ohm-175ohm-for-HiFi-Audio-Player-Earphone-/272428465695?var=&hash=item3f6e007e1f:m:msl3vGtZnwXprEITP58EDow

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Short-Universal-3-5mm-Male-to-Female-Stereo-Audio-Extension-Cable-4-Pole-b5-/322062767956?var=&hash=item4afc6fd754:m:m6mKd2o79BdppBy6dB5yMAg

The phone won't damage your headphones unless you go silly with the volume. Make sure you are down to say 30/75 and go up from there.
You need to connect the headphone, adapter and extension together. Plug the lot into the phone and switch high impedance mode on. Leave the extension plugged into the phone, remove the 100 Ohm adapter and plug the headphone back into the extension. As long as the extension is plugged in, the phone will remain in high impedance mode.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,195 of 4,141
  ^hi any link bro? and it will not damage my earphones? (a TF10 and an IE800) thanks :)

Another good option: http://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-Inpedance-Plug

I personally have found that "Aux mode" is plenty of power for all my IEMs. The impedance adapter does kick the phone into higher output, but, you're also driving 75 ohms more of a load. I am still undecided on whether or not it affects sound quality. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I swear it changed the sound signature a bit, but could be placebo :)

-Collin-

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2,196 of 4,141

I personally have found that "Aux mode" is plenty of power for all my IEMs. The impedance adapter does kick the phone into higher output, but, you're also driving 75 ohms more of a load. I am still undecided on whether or not it affects sound quality. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I swear it changed the sound signature a bit, but could be placebo :)

-Collin-
Yes, it would change the sound signature.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,197 of 4,141
In my case using Hifiman HE-400i phones, the sound is certainly louder, but imo very harsh.
I use UAPP or Neutron and I experience this with both apps.
I don't use another cable, but rather plug in the HE-400i phones cable without the phones attached.
It would be a bit of a mission doing this each time since there is a split cable going to each headphone.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #2,198 of 4,141

-Collin-
Yes, it would change the sound signature.

I thought it was clear that the 75 Ohm adapter is removed after the phone high impedance mode is triggered. Of course the extra load would affect sound and it does.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,199 of 4,141
Agree, Aux mode is good but not the best your phone can do. I have found that any of my headphones or IEMs sound better at the same sound output level in high impedance mode. Unless you get hiss in sensitive IEMs, there's no reason not to get the best of your quad dac. The only downside is battery drain, so make sure you have a power bank handy. That Zerolemon monster looks better and better, hahaha

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #2,201 of 4,141
I thought it was clear that the 75 Ohm adapter is removed after the phone high impedance mode is triggered. Of course the extra load would affect sound and it does.
SeeSax was referring to leaving it, not using the extender before the resistor and was wondering if it was changing the sound signature. Then I said that it would change it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #2,203 of 4,141
I am one highly satisfied LG V20 customer.First wanted to buy fiio X7 ..but instead opted for same priced (600$) LG V20 .
Despite the initial hiccup with high impedance mode it has been a wonderful musical journey ..
Here is my 2 cents about it ..
1.Almost any headphone with volume control can be attached to LG V20 in 'Aux mode' .Press and hold the volume down button while conmecting the adapter to the port .
2.High impedance mode is Excellent .For those who are wondering about high impedance IEMs ..Soundmagic E80c is an excellent cheaper choice (64 ohm) .Tried and tested .It always triggers high impedance mode
3.High impedance adapter or Headphone hub are well known tricks to trigger high impedance mode. Just lower left and right channel amplication to -3db or lower while connecting low impedance headphones so you wont blow out your headphones
4.Headphones with replacement cables , can be connected in AUX mode by connecting the cable only first with the phone and then connecting headphones at the other end .
5.While using IEMs , the coice of ear cushons is also important . Comply foam ones unnecessarily filter out essential musical details , Double flange ones add sibilance etc etc
For Hifi tracks (24 bit or more) like Vinyls etc , whether in high impedance mode or not , the volume needs to be hiked to near max to not merely enjoy but EXPERIENCE the intricate music details it has to offer

In conclusion i would like to say that ..LG V20 has an excellent ability to bring out ORGANIC details from mere mp3s too, something , the likes of which are extremely rare to find , even among PRO DAPs ..And it happens in High impedance mode only ...
Hope this helps prospective buyers and users alike

PM me if you wanna ask anything about LG V20 musical quality.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #2,204 of 4,141
I've been seriously enjoying my LG V20 with my Toxic Cables Silver re-wired Venture Electronics Monk Plus with donut foams. It is not as clean as on my Mojo, but the V20 gives it more bass.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,205 of 4,141
I've been seriously enjoying my LG V20 with my Toxic Cables Silver re-wired Venture Electronics Monk Plus with donut foams. It is not as clean as on my Mojo, but the V20 gives it more bass.

Okay I just have to ask, you re-cabled a $5 earbud with a $200 cable? That is awesome! I'll bet they sound great. 

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back