LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Apr 18, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #3,466 of 3,525
  Hi, I bought the H961 brand new off of E-bay  for £227 and it arrived from China a couple of weeks ago (Shipping about three weeks). I am thoroughly pleased by it. Communication was good and you could track it through the Chinese shipper ( not through ebay's link- that did not work) I also got it confirmed by email directly with the supplier that if it bootlooped in the first year I could send it back. I did a factory reset straight out of the box and have had no issues with it. Sounds very good for a mobile phone.

thanks zildon, Did you use cell-plaza? i am looking at that one. All i care about is sound quality and should be a good upgrade from my mx4 pro in terms of everything else. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,467 of 3,525
  thanks zildon, Did you use cell-plaza? i am looking at that one. All i care about is sound quality and should be a good upgrade from my mx4 pro in terms of everything else. 

Yes I did buy from cell-plaza. He also put the worth as only £20 so I did not have to pay import tax. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #3,469 of 3,525
  thanks mate, How do you find the phone overall? Does it receive OTA updates?

It already comes with Marshmallow and I have checked for updates and it says I have the latest software. I believe I heard that the LG V10 will be upgraded to Nougat.  To be honest though, MM is great on this phone.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #3,472 of 3,525
The most annoying thing i want to get rid of is the auto volume reduction. I believe you need root for that. Other reasons are like to improve battery time with greenify and little other things like getting rid of ads. Also i can trigger high impedence mode without a high impedence headphone.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #3,473 of 3,525
The most annoying thing i want to get rid of is the auto volume reduction. I believe you need root for that. Other reasons are like to improve battery time with greenify and little other things like getting rid of ads. Also i can trigger high impedence mode without a high impedence headphone.

Check the link below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806329/lg-v10-activating-high-impedance-mode-not-just-aux-mode

I can personally confirm that the said method works without root.

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #3,474 of 3,525
After i replaced the headphone jack my sony 10rc's works fine, but if i plug my akg 612 pro's the volume goes to 0 and goes all static. Does anyone know what this could mean? I do believe i installed my jack correctly

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #3,475 of 3,525
First let me quote an earlier question of mine, and a reply.

Quote:
  Is the audio quality over bluetooth on this phone also better then other phones? Or is this phone only usefull when connecting wired phones?

The audio quality is certified AptX from the v10, this ensures you will receive high quality audio, it works flawlessly, although it's not going to be better than any other AptX device, the actual internal DAC is bypassed with bluetooth audio, it seems to handle bluetooth very well for all things music and phone calls, with minimal battery consumption, which is great. It's not the greatest Bluetooth range I have experienced, all in all works great with the p7w, and LG HBS 910 head set that I use it with.

While my LG V10 was on repair (screen was broken, dropouts in bluetooth signal) I saw a online deal for a Samsung Galaxy S7 for a very good price, so I bought it. The V10 is a huge phone, I liked a smaller one. Apart from the audio quality the S7 has everything I need from a phone. And while I was switching to bluetooth headphones for practical reasons the excellent DAC of the V10 wasn't that necessary anymore, because it would be bypassed.

When the V10 came back from repair i compared the two with my B&W P2 wireless and Philips M2BT headphones. I was surprised I heard quite some differences between the two. The S7 has a somewhat more congested sound, the V10 shows more details, more highs and has a more open / relaxed sound. I was really quite a difference.

Anyone knows how to explain this, because the audio should by bypassed the S7 DAC / amp?

Moreover, the bluetooth hickups were still there on the V10. That has not been repaired! I will check if the call quality has improved, cause that was pretty bad, people often have complaint that they can't hear me. Both oft these problems seems weak points of the phone (I read in this thread about a wacky BT connection, but I have the idea that my phone is super wacky in this aspect.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #3,476 of 3,525
While my LG V10 was on repair (screen was broken, dropouts in bluetooth signal) I saw a online deal for a Samsung Galaxy S7 for a very good price, so I bought it. The V10 is a huge phone, I liked a smaller one. Apart from the audio quality the S7 has everything I need from a phone. And while I was switching to bluetooth headphones for practical reasons the excellent DAC of the V10 wasn't that necessary anymore, because it would be bypassed.

When the V10 came back from repair i compared the two with my B&W P2 wireless and Philips M2BT headphones. I was surprised I heard quite some differences between the two. The S7 has a somewhat more congested sound, the V10 shows more details, more highs and has a more open / relaxed sound. I was really quite a difference.

Anyone knows how to explain this, because the audio should by bypassed the S7 DAC / amp?

The difference in sound could be due to firstly different Bluetooth chipsets, and more importantly the way these chips are implemented within the phone, and the way they have been programmed to work within Androids operating systems. There's many variables that could affect the audios path.

I have also heard fairly big differences in AptX on these 2 phones, as well as other phones tested. So it seems not all Bluetooth chips are created or implemented equally, and it's a good thing the V10 has exceptionaly sounding wireless.

The glitches could be compatibility issues, as some devices will work better with different sources, as there's a quite a few versions of Bluetooth as we progress through to version 5.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #3,477 of 3,525
That's seems logical to me. In the S7 thread someone mentions Viper4Android to bypass the EQing that manufacturers put into a phone, I think about rooting my S7 and install it. I hope it will give a nice quality improvement. Any opinions about that?

However, after that the bluetooth sound quality then may not be on par with the V10 but these dropouts are frustrating. Foremost I prefer a stable connection.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #3,478 of 3,525
Stability can be an issue, if your not within a few metres of your Bluetooth headset, or headphones with the V10 while using AptX, the RF gain and power of the Bluetooth signal seem to be quite low on the V10, to the point where when using the phone, it must be in my front pocket or it will glitch in a noisy environment, while being in my back pocket. However this is good for several reasons, there's a fine line between the battery being drained in an excessive manner, so it's great that the radio doesn't drain the battery fast.
And more importantly I feel like there's less radio frequency radiation being absorbed into my system.
While using the phone on calls, Your much better off not putting the phone to your head when using the phone IMO, I will mostly leave the phone away from me and rely on the Bluetooth whilst on the phone, which is a much lower dose of RF radiation, than the phone RF output, from the cell phone RF Power amplifier.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #3,479 of 3,525
So the bluetooth gain and power of the V10 is not that great, good to know. My problems of hickups in the sound however are also occuring when I'm carrying the V10 in the front or inner pocket of my jacket. So maybe there is something wrong with the bluetooth connection of my phone?

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #3,480 of 3,525
I don't know if it's faulty, but best to try certified AptX devices out, and it's safe to say if they all fail, something could be wrong, and that could be in the software/firmware realm as well. So maybe update firmware, or reset your phone. Would be a good start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back