LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Apr 10, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #3,451 of 3,525

audioxxx it sounds to me like you have a bad phone (or a bad app). Auto-update should not make a phone freeze unless something - hardware or software is bad.

If auto-update may cause the V10 to get a little warm but it is not a cause of bootloop. If the phone is going to bootloop, nothing will stop it. Would you drive your car at 30MPH maximum because any faster the engine may burn out? I doubt it you'd keep that car. V10 users - no need to baby the phone as far as usage goes. You can push it to  the max - GPS, video playback, games, anything you can throw at it - and be assued this will not turn good phone to bootloop brick of a phone.

I had it replaced before. So this is my second board... It seems like too many poorly designed/soldered motherboards from LG with the v10, G4 and there's been reports of the same problem with newer models. Just Google it if you need more evidence.

I cannot be sure exactly what actions is required to trigger the bootloop issue. But heat seems to play a big role. With that knowledge, I would still suggest users keeping their v10 cool. Which is charging with cradle and no auto-update. It seems to be working for me but I got a feeling the summer heat in BKK might cause more problems pretty soon.

I currently have the v10 and htc10. Still got the v10 as I think the resale value is low considering the bootloop risks and it seems kinda messed up to pass this headache to someone else just for a few bucks. I leave my phone in BKK and use the htc10 in Taipei most of the time.

Sorry dude, the v10 isn't a car. It's a pretty poorly designed phone but I still keep it coz it works after my board replacement and I am just sharing what happened to me with others. No bs or wild speculations here.

I tried the v20 with B&O tuning but I refuse to buy another LG phone as I cannot stand their customer service in Taiwan where I initially purchased the phone from.

Sorry that we agree to disagree. If the V10 is getting hot during auto-udate and causing it to freeze, something is wrong. I refuse to keep it cool and have NEVER had it freeze up/reboot. I've used mine as car GPS, while listening to music via bluetooth, and makeing a phone call on speaker as it got baked by the sun throught the windshield.  Also, the resale value is low in part because it is a pretty old phone at this point in time.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #3,452 of 3,525
I was running a rooted version of Android 5.1.1 on my V10, for many months, as to the phone freezing up on me, I believe it was a software issue as there are many issues with older versions of Android. And that version was getting very old.

Hopefully, version 7 is coming to the V10 pretty soon

The freezing fault has not come back on version 6 of Android, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Auto update should work.
As to value of the device, if you can grab a cheap one, these are fantastic phone, and DAP in one. Sound really good on good headphones or IEM's.

And there will always be a percentage of failure's in every device. Out of the huge number of V10's, some will fail. It's a bummer when it happens.
But many V10's will not fail and keep running.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #3,453 of 3,525
My V10 has never froze or gotten stuck in bootup. It only gets light use with little multitasking but it does get warm regularly as I've been charging it wireless for over a year.

Among those experiencing problems, I'm wondering (just curious) how many rooted their V10?

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #3,454 of 3,525
The the root was gained through a edited install of the software on the v962, (it was the only way known) and was not a permanent unlock of the boot loader, which preserved the bootloader in the original state, with no warranty losses.
I was able to revert to a factory install of Android 6, once the software crashed.
However, I believe you do make your phone open to attack, once you root your phone, and do not update it ever.
This could explain why my V10 froze up.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #3,455 of 3,525
Sorry that we agree to disagree. If the V10 is getting hot during auto-udate and causing it to freeze, something is wrong. I refuse to keep it cool and have NEVER had it freeze up/reboot. I've used mine as car GPS, while listening to music via bluetooth, and makeing a phone call on speaker as it got baked by the sun throught the windshield.  Also, the resale value is low in part because it is a pretty old phone at this point in time.

Sure. I just think different variants might also have different motherboards that maybe come from different factories.

I don't know... I got thw h962 the asian/Taiwan variant. The v10 isn't a particularly popular phone in Taiwan but so far there's been hundreds of bootloop cases and complaints here. Or maybe LG just don't like Taiwan. Their attitude definitely shows that.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,456 of 3,525
I've had both the h962, and the v10 (what they show up as when connected to car BT). Never rooted, only use factory OS updates, never dropped, only used OEM charger, used in an air conditioned environment most of the time, although my summers are scorching hot. I had my first one get the bootloop on a really hot summer night while playing pokemon go. The second one (v10) died on a cool night indoors while googling some info,.Both lasted about the same amount of time (7-8 months).

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #3,459 of 3,525
Can someone comment on the driving power of very v10?How does it compare to sandisk clip plus?

I have a Sandisk Sansa (brother of Clip) and V10's driving power is incomparably high on High Gain mode.

V10 can drive all the full sized headphones I have (including 600ohm AKG K240 Sextett).

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #3,460 of 3,525
Hi i have the unlocked version of v10 h960 its on MM, is it possible to root it? many thanks

Do you have the h960a version? If so yes you can root as it's one of the few models you can unlock the bootloader through LG.

There's a comprehensive thread on XDA that provides a tutorial.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/development/recovery-twrp-v3-0-2-0-unofficial-t3387783

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #3,465 of 3,525
  Hi all,

is it still worth buying the V10, i can find brand new h961 here in uk for £210 on ebay. Seems like a good deal.

Hi, I bought the H961 brand new off of E-bay  for £227 and it arrived from China a couple of weeks ago (Shipping about three weeks). I am thoroughly pleased by it. Communication was good and you could track it through the Chinese shipper ( not through ebay's link- that did not work) I also got it confirmed by email directly with the supplier that if it bootlooped in the first year I could send it back. I did a factory reset straight out of the box and have had no issues with it. Sounds very good for a mobile phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back