LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Apr 9, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #3,437 of 3,525
There are many variations of the same model, this is one thing that really makes me feel negative about LG.

The h962 has been running smoothly, apart from one issue, and the phone did get very warm. Soon after it would not make it past the boot screen, almost like something corrupted the boot file system.
Since that one event, it hasn't had not one crash freeze or any problems.
I'm keeping a close eye on it as I only have 3 month of warranty left.
I must also say it's a really rugged phone with a skin and glass screen protector, I have put this phone through the most extreme conditions.
I believe this to be the most rugged phone LG have built to date.
The stainless steel side rails really make this thing built like a tank. The skin is essential, because those side rails make it slippery, the Obliq case is great, it has side grip. It adds no bulk as well.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #3,439 of 3,525
Hi, I found it on eBay from a seller called 'Cell-plaza'. Communication was very good. I asked them to confirm that if it looped they would take it back in the first year. Phone took just under three weeks to arrive which is about right from China. They are also helpful in displaying the value of the phone as £20 so as not to incur any import charges.overall very satisfied with the seller and absolutely bowled over by this dual sim, beautiful sounding beast!

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #3,440 of 3,525

Interesting price indeed! May I ask where you have found this one? Aliexpress?

THANKS FOR THE REP! Also, just noticed your rocking a Koss Porta avatar- expecting one of these to be delivered today. I heard how good they were comparitive to the price and much fun they were paired with the LG V10. Cant wait- come on Amazon deliver already!

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #3,441 of 3,525
  THANKS FOR THE REP! Also, just noticed your rocking a Koss Porta avatar- expecting one of these to be delivered today. I heard how good they were comparitive to the price and much fun they were paired with the LG V10.

Yes, the Koss PortaPro matches very well with the V10, with there 60 ohm impedance. They're my standard pair of outdoor headphones, although they have their flaws. But that's not strange considering their price tag.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #3,442 of 3,525
Hi, you will be glad you bought this phone. I don't think you will have to many issues running this phone as a DAP, the V10 as a whole had been the most stable phone I have ever owned.

The audio is better than any phone I have used, or tested, and it can do high quality FLAC and DSD tracks with ease.
The sound is really good on both power amp Alpha, and UAAP USB audio Pro players.

I believe, well in my case the phone didn't boot loop, but froze up with a software issue. And could not boot up.

And after resetting the device by doing an update (holding the volume up and plugging the V10 into a computer while in the off state, this will allow a software update/or install. Through a software package called LG bridge.

This is available at LG's websites, support area. No data was lost, the phone was how I left it after the software freeze up. Only updated.

Once I was able to update the software, to Android v6. The unit is running better than ever, has not skipped a beat, no heat, nil freezes, just a joy to use.
The sound from this v10, is really great to use with my ibasso IT03. And the usability and quality audio has improved a lot in ver 6.

Thanks for the advice. Just checked out you Ibasso IT03 IEMs online- cool. Do you have any over ear cans?

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #3,443 of 3,525
Unfortunately this wasn't my experience at all. I recently discovered that I turned on auto-update on apps and the v10 often would update when I get home and have the phone plugged into the charger... The phone got super hot and it froze on me two nites ago as a result to that:frowning2:

So another tip for new users of v10, turn off auto-update​ and only update to apps when the phone is unplugged and you aren't running any power hungry apps. Keep your v10 cool if you wanna avoid the bootloop problem.

Thanks for the tip. Have turned off auto-update. I also charge overnight using a dual battery/ phone dock that is not very powerful as it charges slowly. However, i guess this is good as the V10  does not heat up at all really.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #3,444 of 3,525
Thanks for the advice. Just checked out you Ibasso IT03 IEMs online- cool. Do you have any over ear cans?

I have a pair of b&w P7 wireless, which sound great plugged into the V10, I like to plug them in every now and then, although I use them most of the time wireless through AptX, which sounds fantastic for a blue tooth headphones.
I highly recommend these headphones they sound like high quality floor standing speakers, only there headphones, with a luxury soft leather, all-round back and front they feel luxurious.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #3,445 of 3,525
I have a pair of b&w P7 wireless, which sound great plugged into the V10, I like to plug them in every now and then, although I use them most of the time wireless through AptX, which sounds fantastic for a blue tooth headphones.
I highly recommend these headphones they sound like high quality floor standing speakers, only there headphones, with a luxury soft leather, all-round back and front they feel luxurious.

I better get saving!

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #3,447 of 3,525
The audio quality is certified AptX from the v10, this ensures you will receive high quality audio, it works flawlessly, although it's not going to be better than any other AptX device, the actual internal DAC is bypassed with bluetooth audio, it seems to handle bluetooth very well for all things music and phone calls, with minimal battery consumption, which is great. For AptX Power amp Alpha sounds great, compared to other music apps I've tried.
It's not the greatest Bluetooth range I have experienced, all in all works great with the p7w, and LG HBS 910 head set that I use it with.
With a seperate battery icon, for the Bluetooth battery measurements​, (if compatible), which comes in handy.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #3,448 of 3,525
The audio quality is certified AptX from the v10, this ensures you will receive high quality audio, it works flawlessly, although it's not going to be better than any other AptX device, the actual internal DAC is bypassed with bluetooth audio

Thanks for answering, very logical when you think of it. :wink: I'm using my bluetooth headphones more and more so maybee I'm gonna sell my V10. Also because it's a little to big for my taste. I'd like to try the amoled display of a Galaxy S7.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #3,449 of 3,525

Hi, you will be glad you bought this phone. I don't think you will have to many issues running this phone as a DAP, the V10 as a whole had been the most stable phone I have ever owned.

The audio is better than any phone I have used, or tested, and it can do high quality FLAC and DSD tracks with ease.
The sound is really good on both power amp Alpha, and UAAP USB audio Pro players.

I believe, well in my case the phone didn't boot loop, but froze up with a software issue. And could not boot up.

And after resetting the device by doing an update (holding the volume up and plugging the V10 into a computer while in the off state, this will allow a software update/or install. Through a software package called LG bridge.

This is available at LG's websites, support area. No data was lost, the phone was how I left it after the software freeze up. Only updated.

Once I was able to update the software, to Android v6. The unit is running better than ever, has not skipped a beat, no heat, nil freezes, just a joy to use.
The sound from this v10, is really great to use with my ibasso IT03. And the usability and quality audio has improved a lot in ver 6.

Unfortunately this wasn't my experience at all. I recently discovered that I turned on auto-update on apps and the v10 often would update when I get home and have the phone plugged into the charger... The phone got super hot and it froze on me two nites ago as a result to that:frowning2:

So another tip for new users of v10, turn off auto-update​ and only update to apps when the phone is unplugged and you aren't running any power hungry apps. Keep your v10 cool if you wanna avoid the bootloop problem.

audioxxx it sounds to me like you have a bad phone (or a bad app). Auto-update should not make a phone freeze unless something - hardware or software is bad.

If auto-update may cause the V10 to get a little warm but it is not a cause of bootloop. If the phone is going to bootloop, nothing will stop it. Would you drive your car at 30MPH maximum because any faster the engine may burn out? I doubt it you'd keep that car. V10 users - no need to baby the phone as far as usage goes. You can push it to  the max - GPS, video playback, games, anything you can throw at it - and be assued this will not turn good phone to bootloop brick of a phone.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #3,450 of 3,525
audioxxx it sounds to me like you have a bad phone (or a bad app). Auto-update should not make a phone freeze unless something - hardware or software is bad.

If auto-update may cause the V10 to get a little warm but it is not a cause of bootloop. If the phone is going to bootloop, nothing will stop it. Would you drive your car at 30MPH maximum because any faster the engine may burn out? I doubt it you'd keep that car. V10 users - no need to baby the phone as far as usage goes. You can push it to  the max - GPS, video playback, games, anything you can throw at it - and be assued this will not turn good phone to bootloop brick of a phone.

I had it replaced before. So this is my second board... It seems like too many poorly designed/soldered motherboards from LG with the v10, G4 and there's been reports of the same problem with newer models. Just Google it if you need more evidence.

I cannot be sure exactly what actions is required to trigger the bootloop issue. But heat seems to play a big role. With that knowledge, I would still suggest users keeping their v10 cool. Which is charging with cradle and no auto-update. It seems to be working for me but I got a feeling the summer heat in BKK might cause more problems pretty soon.

I currently have the v10 and htc10. Still got the v10 as I think the resale value is low considering the bootloop risks and it seems kinda messed up to pass this headache to someone else just for a few bucks. I leave my phone in BKK and use the htc10 in Taipei most of the time.

Sorry dude, the v10 isn't a car. It's a pretty poorly designed phone but I still keep it coz it works after my board replacement and I am just sharing what happened to me with others. No bs or wild speculations here.

I tried the v20 with B&O tuning but I refuse to buy another LG phone as I cannot stand their customer service in Taiwan where I initially purchased the phone from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back