LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Aug 14, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #2,776 of 3,525
Well, LG and HTC phones don't hold their value like Samsung and Apple phones do, so if they launch in September, I wouldn't be surprised to see substantial price cuts in November/December.

So, upgrading might not be too bad. Then again, I bought this phone off-contract, because I hate how US carriers lock us into 18-30 me month contracts.

I'm not under contract (refuse to do any of those) but still opted to pay monthly for my discounted V10 (got it for $500 last October plus the free 200GB card, extra battery, and charger). Couldn't pass on all that for the price (sd card alone was worth over $100 at the time).

Didn't jump on the G5 due to the extra cost of the unreleased (U.S.) dac module but do want to support LG's 'audiophile' efforts if I can. Not sure I can afford to upgrade yet but, who knows, maybe LG will offer a 256GB free sd card promo this time. I can always use another/larger memory card.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #2,777 of 3,525
This is a huge problem, "the quirk's".

Everybody thought they where using the hi-fi DAC in the early days because it was selected and highlighted, what a fail when it was actually turned off in tests and reviews, (and the only app that could use it is the internal LG player, and it is very average at best) the v10 would have different reviews and opinions if they actually had the hi-fi dac chip activated from the start. It would be king of audio phone. IMO

And it's hard to step back in time, a lot of people have sold the v10 soon after testing it's poor performance in 5.1.1, in the early days, we are lucky a clever human developed an app to force the DAC on. But this won't fix people's confidence to purchase a v20.
Otherwise for me the v10 would be a complete failure. (I know the hi-fi had been fixed in upgraded Android)

I just hope they get it right this time, however I will wait till someone tests this phone against an working v10. As I'll be sceptical the hi-fi dac is even active, that is if LG actually decide to sell it locally.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,778 of 3,525
True. Most people didn't even know they were 'doing it wrong' with the V10.

Also true that we shouldn't have had to do so many steps to hear it's full potential but LG made some aggressive decisions concerning battery life and/or hearing safety.

Sadly, so many people prioritize battery life (and still keep asking for improvements there) that I fear LG will be equally aggressive with the V20. There's already been mention of the phone being able to turn off 3 of it's 4 'dacs' for lesser bit-rates and/or lower impedance headphones.

Anyone thinking the V20 will show it's full potential without any effort on their part will be just as frustrated with it as they were with the V10.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,779 of 3,525
This is a huge problem, "the quirk's".

Everybody thought they where using the hi-fi DAC in the early days because it was selected and highlighted, what a fail when it was actually turned off in tests and reviews, (and the only app that could use it is the internal LG player, and it is very average at best) the v10 would have different reviews and opinions if they actually had the hi-fi dac chip activated from the start. It would be king of audio phone. IMO

And it's hard to step back in time, a lot of people have sold the v10 soon after testing it's poor performance in 5.1.1, in the early days, we are lucky a clever human developed an app to force the DAC on. But this won't fix people's confidence to purchase a v20.
Otherwise for me the v10 would be a complete failure. (I know the hi-fi had been fixed in upgraded Android)

I just hope they get it right this time, however I will wait till someone tests this phone against an working v10. As I'll be sceptical the hi-fi dac is even active, that is if LG actually decide to sell it locally.

I hear you.

I don't know if this is readily available where you live, but I can confirm this impedance adapter works very well, and can trick the V10 into going into high-gain mode

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A2QJL0C/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #2,780 of 3,525
I hear you.

I don't know if this is readily available where you live, but I can confirm this impedance adapter works very well, and can trick the V10 into going into high-gain mode

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A2QJL0C/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks mate,
I'm fortunate enough to have rooted my phone, and have Alsa mixer to select the power I need on the fly.

And this is done without the need for an adapter. Thank goodness.

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #2,781 of 3,525
Does anybody know how to stop my V10 from randomly changing tracks when it's locked and in my pocket? It's driving me crazy.

On 6.0 and using IE80's with power amp alpha. Think it's a setting somewhere but I can't figure it out.

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #2,782 of 3,525
Does anybody know how to stop my V10 from randomly changing tracks when it's locked and in my pocket? It's driving me crazy.

On 6.0 and using IE80's with power amp alpha. Think it's a setting somewhere but I can't figure it out.

Maybe a dumb question on my part.... Are you sure the player didn't get set to shuffle accidentally? Happens to me all the time.

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #2,783 of 3,525
Pretty sure it's not, it will start skipping around as soon
As I put it in my pocket. I hear a beeping sound through the iem's then it just skips tracks.i also get the Google now thing launching a lot.
Maybe a dumb question on my part.... Are you sure the player didn't get set to shuffle accidentally? Happens to me all the time.

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #2,785 of 3,525
how do i do this? 

It isn't a difficult process, however it needs a fair knowledge of basic Android software.
Fortunately their is already a website dedicated to these processes. Not sure which model you have.
If it's a h962, then the information can be found here. There are many different versions of the v10.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/general/lg-v10-dual-sim-h962-official-thread-t3257933/page6

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #2,787 of 3,525
Yes it's a good variant to have with full root access available in one of the latest Android versions.

You must read a lot before you attempt this.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/sitesearch.php?q=h901

You could damage/brick your phone if you don't understand what your doing.
Be careful. I think you have to install TWRP first.

Here is the file you need once you install TWRP.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/development/lg-h901-stock-rom-rooted-busybox-t3245653

I probably should have got one of these h901 as well and opened all the band's up if possible. It's the best version to have.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #2,788 of 3,525
thanks i will research. If i can not root and get the app do i buy one of this? 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QJL0C

https://www.amazon.com/Audix-Inline-Impedance-Matching-Transformer/dp/B0018STX4C/ref=pd_sim_267_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=31amWiFaumL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=5S45SG7E522NMBZBA77V

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #2,790 of 3,525

You can use them if you want more power for your full size headphones that have a low impedance. It's not essential for sensitive IEM's, however does add more overhead power which is nice. Using UAPP app, for the audio player also improves the overall audio performance as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back