LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Aug 13, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #2,762 of 3,525
http://www.esstech.com/files/4114/4095/2154/ES9023_PB_101103.pdf

Ess9023 is the newest stereo DAC, and it is dual channel. The only way to have Quad DAC would be to use ESS9018S ? However, it wouldn't be able to turn off partial hardware to conserve the power. So my guess is that it would use 9208 in Mono configurations

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9028q2m/

Now, Quad DAC only make senses with Balanced connection available....to hell with LG, if they do...I will be selling my HTC 10 :D. If they do balanced out, it would be similar to Pono Player which uses dual 3.5 mm

Wasn't the 9023 dac chip used the the original ODAC?

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #2,764 of 3,525
Has anyone use the AlsaMixer set it at 10 and have it cut off then give the warning about loud listening and the hifi seem to reset .

This is a strange problem you have, it seems like some sort of EU capped regulation stopping Alsa.

If you toggle hi-fi on and off this will reset the volume in Alsa back to standard 31, so this is normal. But I have never seen this message pop up. Do you have the EU model?

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #2,765 of 3,525
Prices are dropping like flies!  guaranteecellular on ebay selling the verizon ones for 209.99 either color. they claim to be unlocked for any gsm carrier but even if they are compatible, no rooting or 5.1.1 only.

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #2,766 of 3,525
Yeah that's one thing I don't appreciate about LG phones, and that's the disposable price drop at retail to clear the stock.
I understand they must move the stock, but the prices should be held steadily and not dumped so quickly.
I guess it's one way of moving old stock quickly, however it kills the second hand market ( your resale value), and as a result gives the feeling of a bad purchase, and I loose faith and confidence in LG.
The only positive is the stock runs out and prices will go up.

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #2,767 of 3,525
No mines is from tmobile usa it works for like a few seconds then the hifi resets. I'm still on 5.1.1 i never updated to mm as i never had a issue with it and root came awhile later for mm so no rush im going to try updating and see if it keeps on doing that reset .

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #2,768 of 3,525
Very strange, not sure what's causing this issue.
Give USB audio pro a trial, it's sounding amazing on the v10. No glitches at all for me, and for some reason it's super clear and clean sounding compared to other music apps, UAPP brings the v10 to life. The eq is also fantastic. IMO

The secondary software volume in UAPP, is also very handy for getting the power correct with Alsa, so you don't volume spike your IEM's.

Are you running hi-fi everywhere Dac fix app ?

This is needed for 5.1.1

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #2,769 of 3,525
http://www.whathifi.com/news/lg-v20-2016-flagship-smartphone-will-arrive-quad-dac

"Along with the new DAC, the LG V20 has another headline grabbing feature: it will be the first smartphone to arrive with Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box, surpassing even Google’s own line of Nexus handsets. Other specs of the V20 are said to include a 5.7in screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, Snapdragon 820 processor and 4GB of RAM."

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,770 of 3,525
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-V10-VS990-64GB-Verizon-Android-Smartphone-4G-LTE-Factory-Unlocked-for-GSM-/142075707511

This sale is still going strong, it seems they have a very big stockpile to work from! At 210 i would be surprised if prices were able to drop much more anytime in the near future.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,771 of 3,525
I updated to mm Eliminater74 most recent version and it works for a little longer i also downloaded uapp . What i notice when the cut off happens the back of the phone gets pretty warm then does the high volume warning and resets it back down i may have a defective model which is poo poo i had this phone since release week it doesn't reset on alsamixer 13 and higher just lower .

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,773 of 3,525
http://www.esstech.com/files/4114/4095/2154/ES9023_PB_101103.pdf

Ess9023 is the newest stereo DAC, and it is dual channel. The only way to have Quad DAC would be to use ESS9018S ? However, it wouldn't be able to turn off partial hardware to conserve the power. So my guess is that it would use 9208 in Mono configurations

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9028q2m/

Now, Quad DAC only make senses with Balanced connection available....to hell with LG, if they do...I will be selling my HTC 10 :D. If they do balanced out, it would be similar to Pono Player which uses dual 3.5 mm

It must be a different chip than what is on ESS' site or at least a different configuration. I'm betting they'll use one of the Soc chips with integrated amp. Hard to imagine any other type of chip with the ability to run 'dacs' independently.

I wish it were balanced but can't be if they're claiming 4 dacs (assuming 2 channels per 'dac' for 8 total). They'd need 16 channels (which would take up too much space) to still claim that with a balanced output (2 per output with 4 outputs total).

While I applaud LG's attempt to develop a second "audiophile" phone, a DAC is only as good as its implementation. Advanced tech alone can't make something better.

The HTC 10 doesn't have a dedicated DAC as the v10 does, but some people have said it still sounds better. (I haven't heard the HTC 10, so I can't comment).

So, while this all sounds promising, I'd contain my enthusiasm until some trusted reviewers can get their hands on the V20 to compare to the V10 and the HTC 10.

Hopefully, we'll find out soon enough.

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,774 of 3,525
While I applaud LG's attempt to develop a second "audiophile" phone, a DAC is only as good as its implementation. Advanced tech alone can't make something better.

The HTC 10 doesn't have a dedicated DAC as the v10 does, but some people have said it still sounds better. (I haven't heard the HTC 10, so I can't comment).

So, while this all sounds promising, I'd contain my enthusiasm until some trusted reviewers can get their hands on the V20 to compare to the V10 and the HTC 10.

Hopefully, we'll find out soon enough.

Agreed. Implementation is key but is tough to gauge unless you're able hear each device side-by-side.

I just posted in another thread about how some of us factor-in specs when making a blind purchase. Dual-dacs (on paper) have the potential to sound slightly better than a single dac so that may affect our decision. Hence why LG is highlighting their 'quad-dacs' even prior to official announcement of the V20.

Despite the quirks, I still think the V10's dac implementation was good. At least, when everything is on and set properly, it sounds great; phone or not. Hoping the V20 builds on that but doubt I can afford to upgrade so soon (not to mention the switch to micro C usb).

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #2,775 of 3,525
Agreed. Implementation is key but is tough to gauge unless you're able hear each device side-by-side.

I just posted in another thread about how some of us factor-in specs when making a blind purchase. Dual-dacs (on paper) have the potential to sound slightly better than a single dac so that may affect our decision. Hence why LG is highlighting their 'quad-dacs' even prior to official announcement of the V20.

Despite the quirks, I still think the V10's dac implementation was good. At least, when everything is on and set properly, it sounds great; phone or not. Hoping the V20 builds on that but doubt I can afford to upgrade so soon (not to mention the switch to micro C usb).

Well, LG and HTC phones don't hold their value like Samsung and Apple phones do, so if they launch in September, I wouldn't be surprised to see substantial price cuts in November/December.

So, upgrading might not be too bad. Then again, I bought this phone off-contract, because I hate how US carriers lock us into 18-30 me month contracts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back