LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jul 25, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,671 of 3,525
I thought someone made an extended life battery for this with a replacement back cover? I was going to look into that, since i'm not confident the previous owner of this V10 was very concerned with optimal battery conditioning practices.

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #2,672 of 3,525
Zerolemon makes a 9000mAh battery with extended back case for the V10:

http://zerolemon.com/product/lg-v10-extended-battery-zerolemon-lg-v10-9000mah-tricell-extended-battery-soft-tpu-full-edge-protection-case-compatible-with-all-lg-v10-variants-180-days-zerolemon-warranty-guarantee-black/

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,673 of 3,525
I thought someone made an extended life battery for this with a replacement back cover? I was going to look into that, since i'm not confident the previous owner of this V10 was very concerned with optimal battery conditioning practices.

I just bought a two-pack of replacement batteries that are 3950mAh, but I only need one. I should be receiving it later this week. I'll test to make sure it works with the standard back cover

Pm me if you're interested in picking up my spare.

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #2,674 of 3,525
I would be very sceptical about any company claiming to squeeze more than 3000ma into this stock battery size.

Most of the time their written rating on the after market battery will be hocuspocus. And the actual capacity will be less than the original cell.

I would always buy the original boxed retail battery, even if it cost a little more. (These aftermarket batteries can damage your phone, and will void your warranty)
I am getting unreal battery performance with the stock battery, over 6 hrs of screen on time which is fantastic, especially with a spare cell in my pocket and the ability to flip the battery in seconds.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #2,675 of 3,525
Dang... you can only get 6 hours on this of continuous screen being on?

Makes my Blackberry Q20 and old iPhones feel like battery kings
frown.gif

Bought a 2 pack of 6 inch long extension cables though so I can trick it into medium gain mode on the go and not carry an awkward 6 foot long wire with me...

Is it true the ESS DAC is never on unless the icon for it is displayed?

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #2,676 of 3,525
I can do much more with the v10, the phone has been on for just over 11 hrs, and has 46% on the battery with over 4hrs screen on time.

I was rounding things down, because if you run the hi-fi DAC, your going to use power fast.
Yeah it was a real relief to ditch the piggy lead, and user Alsa to take control of the amplifier.

Even if the icon is displayed, in version 5.1.1 the ESS DAC can be off still.
But yes if the icon isn't highlighted the ESS DAC is off.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #2,677 of 3,525
I would be very sceptical about any company claiming to squeeze more than 3000ma into this stock battery size.

Most of the time their written rating on the after market battery will be hocuspocus. And the actual capacity will be less than the original cell.

I would always buy the original boxed retail battery, even if it cost a little more. (These aftermarket batteries can damage your phone, and will void your warranty)
I am getting unreal battery performance with the stock battery, over 6 hrs of screen on time which is fantastic, especially with a spare cell in my pocket and the ability to flip the battery in seconds.

I was think the same thing. If you could get 3950mah out of a battery the same size as the stock 3000mah one, LG would have done so from the start. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #2,681 of 3,525
6.0, it was already on 6 when I got it. verizon had an OTA update for mem still 6.0 though (not 6.0.1 apparently)

Okay, I thought that was interesting as I'm also on 6.0 through AT&T.

To answer your question, no, the Hifi DAC is engaged whenever something is plugged into the headphone jack. The frustrating thing is that the amp has three settings, contingent upon the impedance of the device you're connected to.

The irritating thing is that the headphone amp automatically detects your impedance, and sends out the signal accordingly. I believe there are three modes: 32ohms and below, aux mode at 32-60ohms, and high impedance at 60-600 ohms.

Unfortunately, some headphones have a relatively low impedance, but also a low sensitivity - and need more power to shine. However, everyone seems to agree this phone sounds best in High Impedance mode.

My work laptop won't let me download the necessary files, so I'm stuck trying to root an Android 6.0 device without a computer, lol.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #2,682 of 3,525
I apologize if this is old news, but saw this in the menu slider. Does this activate the high gain amp or just the ESS DAC?

Just the ESS DAC is turned on or off with that, the amplifiers gain is selected by the impedance of your headphones or IEM's. High gain can only be selected by around 60 ohm (not 100% sure) or more plugged into the headphone jack, on a stock V10.

What's needed to be added to the software is an override gain menu with low, medium, high amplifier gain, and a user configurable volume control, so 75 or 100 step volume can be selected.

This would make better use of the extra power available, and achieve a finer grain volume control, just like a DAP.

Unfortunately, this probably won't be implemented.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #2,683 of 3,525
Just the ESS DAC is turned on or off with that, the amplifiers gain is selected by the impedance of your headphones or IEM's. High gain can only be selected by around 60 ohm (not 100% sure) or more plugged into the headphone jack, on a stock V10.

What's needed to be added to the software is an override gain menu with low, medium, high amplifier gain, and a user configurable volume control, so 75 or 100 step volume can be selected.

This would make better use of the extra power available, and achieve a finer grain volume control, just like a DAP.

Unfortunately, this probably won't be implemented.

Agreed.

Output impedance isn't the only - or even the most important - factor that affects drive-ability; sensitivity is equally important.

In my experience, the 250-ohm Beyerdynamic dt1770 is much easier to drive than the 35-ohm HIFIMAN HE-560.

In sum: Ugh.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,684 of 3,525
Agreed.

Output impedance isn't the only - or even the most important - factor that affects drive-ability; sensitivity is equally important.

In my experience, the 250-ohm Beyerdynamic dt1770 is much easier to drive than the 35-ohm HIFIMAN HE-560.

In sum: Ugh.

And unfortunately these measures seem to be affecting a lot of the consumer available amplified devices, I think these are great safety measures and will stop the majority of people from volume spiking their iem's to death, or volunteering to damage their hearing with excessive volume (because it sounds great loud).

Then wanting compensation $ when your half deaf, because it was that particular branded device that did the damage to your hearing, and you could hear fine before you started using it.

So I guess I can see why LG has been implementing the amplifier this way, although I don't like it. And there needs to be an override menus with extra conditions to agree on, which would cover companies against people claiming damages.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #2,685 of 3,525
And unfortunately these measures seem to be affecting a lot of the consumer available amplified devices, I think these are great safety measures and will stop the majority of people from volume spiking their iem's to death, or volunteering to damage their hearing with excessive volume (because it sounds great loud).

Then wanting compensation $ when your half deaf, because it was that particular branded device that did the damage to your hearing, and you could hear fine before you started using it.

So I guess I can see why LG has been implementing the amplifier this way, although I don't like it. And there needs to be an override menus with extra conditions to agree on, which would cover companies against people claiming damages.

This would be the ideal way to do things. For now, I might make a higher impedance adapter to trick it into high gain mode for my lower impedance but harder to drive headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back