LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
May 12, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2,476 of 3,525
About a week ago I bought a Audioquest dragonfly red now this week I was able to get a v10 for a decent price. I saw the v10 has the sabre 9018 and the dragonfly has a 9016 did I just make my dac/amp purchase useless? I only use it on mobile since my pc uses my onkyo to decode.

Well, I'd love to hear your test impressions.

May 15, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,478 of 3,525
Okay so I've had the chance to test the v10 with and without the dragonfly red. Tried with both the m50x and a pair of nighthawks. I was only able to get the phone into medium gain and I honestly think that was the biggest difference between the two. The dragonfly seemed a touch more powerful all around and had more thump to the beat. Was very impressed with the sound on the phone. Yes the phone was better with the red, was it $200 more improved its hard to say. I do know that I don't HAVE to pack the red 24/7 to have great sounding music.

May 15, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2,479 of 3,525
Okay so I've had the chance to test the v10 with and without the dragonfly red. Tried with both the m50x and a pair of nighthawks. I was only able to get the phone into medium gain and I honestly think that was the biggest difference between the two. The dragonfly seemed a touch more powerful all around and had more thump to the beat. Was very impressed with the sound on the phone. Yes the phone was better with the red, was it $200 more improved its hard to say. I do know that I don't HAVE to pack the red 24/7 to have great sounding music.

For full size cans no surprise amp makes a bigger difference. Do you have any IEMs around to make a comparison?

May 21, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,480 of 3,525
Yes! Latest android os finally comes to Asia, specifically Singapore!

May 24, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #2,482 of 3,525
  Is there any way to use the LG v10 as an external DAC for a laptop or a PC? 

If it has this feature, I am so sold.

I can't say I have seen any android phone with this feature (though obviously not impossible if dedicated android players can do it).

That said, i am happy to say i returned to the V10 family; my previous 10 I purchased used at a pawn shop, only to have it killed later as it was reported stolen. My S6 (that i had replaced) and my FIIO x5/Creative E5 just left me wanting so much.. i finally hit up a T-Mobile store and bought a new one.  I had considered an HTC 10, but didn't  stay with that idea long; aside from me preferring the larger size, i like the fact that i know what technology is driving the V10 (ESS), versus the "DAC" that HTC is unwilling to specify (as good as it may sound). 

Additionally, since i plan on keeping this phone as a music player for a long time after phone use, i value the replaceable battery (already have 3 spares and a charger for em). I figure that this phone is technically far more powerful than similar players (Panasonic/Onkyo - though i fully acknowledge they probably sound a bit better with the more feature built audio channels), and will last longer since it is still current on Android.  I am curious though - anyone else in that same mindset (yes, i am looking for a bit of reassurance that i am not crazy) of making this a primary DAP for a longer haul..?

May 24, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #2,483 of 3,525
  I can't say I have seen any android phone with this feature (though obviously not impossible if dedicated android players can do it).

That said, i am happy to say i returned to the V10 family; my previous 10 I purchased used at a pawn shop, only to have it killed later as it was reported stolen. My S6 (that i had replaced) and my FIIO x5/Creative E5 just left me wanting so much.. i finally hit up a T-Mobile store and bought a new one.  I had considered an HTC 10, but didn't  stay with that idea long; aside from me preferring the larger size, i like the fact that i know what technology is driving the V10 (ESS), versus the "DAC" that HTC is unwilling to specify (as good as it may sound). 

Additionally, since i plan on keeping this phone as a music player for a long time after phone use, i value the replaceable battery (already have 3 spares and a charger for em). I figure that this phone is technically far more powerful than similar players (Panasonic/Onkyo - though i fully acknowledge they probably sound a bit better with the more feature built audio channels), and will last longer since it is still current on Android.  I am curious though - anyone else in that same mindset (yes, i am looking for a bit of reassurance that i am not crazy) of making this a primary DAP for a longer haul..?

I haven't really thought too much about using my V10 for a stand alone DAP but I have been thinking about keeping this phone far beyond the normal 2 years if possible. As long as the hardware holds up, (meaning the thing doesn't die outside of warrenty after the 2 years) I think its reasonable. Smart phones have really hit a plateau as far as specs IMHO and the only reason to buy a new one sooner is if you're one of those folks who just has to have the latest and greatest. So yeah, in a way I do follow your logic.

May 24, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,484 of 3,525
Same here. If possible i will be keeping my V10 past the 2 year mark. No reason it shouldnt last.

May 28, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,486 of 3,525
tongue.gif
lg v10,g5 or htc 10,which is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back