LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Mar 7, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #2,238 of 3,525
I went to try **** ton of headphones today in a shop and it felt like the worker at the shop was looking down on V10 when they insisted that I use this

http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-DragonFly-Preamp-Headphone-Version/dp/B00H00VLZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457367759&sr=8-1&keywords=dragonfly+dac

Is it a lot better?

For what it's worth, the Dragonfly uses an ESS Sabre DAC similar to what is already in the V10, though I don't believe it is the same model. I haven't heard it to make a direct comparison

As for someone looking down on the V10 as a source, I think a lot of people aren't aware that is has such a high quality set-up or may be skeptical because phones usually have average at best audio. 

I think the V10 holds its own with these $100-150 USB DACs. That said, the ability to carry one device (phone and mid-tier DAP) was what cemented the purchase for me.

Full size cans like the Q701s sound very nice out of this phone...and out of the Explorer as well. But who can fit all that crap (Phone, DAC, & Cable) in your pocket and then take a walk? The convenience factor is huge.

Also, IEMs sound very good with this phone...something the Explorer can struggle with given the 5 Ohm output impedance. If the info out there on the Dragonfly v1.2 is true (12 Ohms), the Dragonfly would be worse with many IEMs and even some low impedance Headphones.

Anyway, here's a post on the DF v1.2 (http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/08/measurements-audioquest-dragonfly-v12.html) has some specs, measurements and a comparison with the Audioengine D3.

A couple key quotes that may be relevant...

"Presumably the Dragonfly utilizes the integrated op-amp function of the ES9023 (or similar chip) as per the "direct-coupled circuitry" in their promo material...Other specs like output impedance (12 ohms Dragonfly, 10 ohms D3) and power (150mW Dragonfly, 200mW D3), both being driverless USB Audio 1.1 devices with a maximum of 24/96 sample rate (it is capable of the important 88kHz for DSD conversions) further adds to the functional similarities between the D3 and Dragonfly."

In a nutshell, since I got the V10, the Explorer only gets used with my laptop. TBH, if I'm working and have both with me, I'm still using the phone as much as I'm setting up the Explorer.

FWIW, here's an interesting article on output impedance -- http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meridian-explorer-case-study-effects-output-impedance

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #2,239 of 3,525
I have a question for you.  I don't know if you've tried this, but, if I root, change the values, and unroot, do the values stay, or do they change back to stock?

Quoting myself. Thought I'd answer the question for anyone curious. As soon as you unroot, it puts mixer_paths.xml back to stock, and you lose the volume boost.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #2,240 of 3,525
Waiting for G5 as I gave up on the idea of getting the V10, especially since LG won't bring it down under. Here's hope that the new flagships will include audiophile grade DACs now that V10 has shown the way. My X3 II will serve me well for the next few months.

I hope they get root for the G5 ...viper4android is my drug!

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2,242 of 3,525
  I hope they get root for the G5 ...viper4android is my drug!

If you're in the US your best bet is the T-Mobile version, they tend to allow bootloader unlocking. Other carriers don't. International variants are more hit-or-miss. Only one international variant of the V10 has root, and that took months, so there's no guarantee 

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,243 of 3,525
I have the T-Mobile version with root. I'm using a custom rom and have other optmisations leading to great battery but I haven't installed V4A. The sound is great already to my ears. I find Viper4Android a bit daunting and I'm not sure I understand most of it.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,245 of 3,525
For anyone using V4A and PowerAmp Alpha, can you get it to work.  I've tried on my H961N rooted, and it shows that the program is operating abnormally, and not functioning.  Should I remove the DVC function? Or is there something else I can try?

*edit* Okay, is there anybody using V4A on their V10's, and if so, which music program are you using, and which version of V4A are you using?

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #2,247 of 3,525

Sounds decent, and better than other phones.

I can't really go into detail because there's construction next door, and a lab isn't a quiet place to begin with.

Ok. Thanks for testing!

My kitchen is not a critical listening environment anyway. As long as is decent and loud enough i'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back