LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jan 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #1,756 of 3,525
I was finally able to pick up this phone (had to find a sim unlocked T-Mobile version with the unlocked bootloader to run on AT&T, I hate bloat), and I couldn't be more impressed. Best sound I've ever heard from a phone, and just in general it's top notch, great screen, good build quality, good camera, fast processor and with a de-bloated stock-based ROM and a new launcher I'm even happy with the software (LG's skin is a little heavy by default). I'd recommend this phone to anyone who wants good sound quality and doesn't mind the size

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #1,757 of 3,525
I have bad news for all European fans of V10. Apparently no provider wanted to carry V10 in Europe for some bizarre reason :frowning2:

I have inside info from LG directly. They are now focusing on the next phone which will be available Q2 2016.

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #1,759 of 3,525
  The night and day difference is with with 50+ ohm headphones.
Lower impedance is subtle at most.

I'm beginning to wonder if the 9602 amp only works in high (and aux) mode?

The fact that so many people only hear subtle differences when switching the dac on/off could mean the Snapdragon's amp is still working in the Sabre dac's normal mode.

Can't think of any other explanation for the huge increase in sound quality on high.

Just spent some time using my iDSD Micro and decided to plug my same HD598s into the V10 just for a quick comparison. Still can't believe how good this phone sounds.

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #1,760 of 3,525
Jan 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,761 of 3,525
I guess the obvious question needs to be raised.... How many of us have high enough bit-rate Data to really expose the sonic differences?... and is the native instrumentation, and mastering itself capable of highlighting the differences?

I know for a fact I do not.... Most of my favorite music just doesn't qualify, since I ripped from redbook CD-16bit to alac lossless.

IMHO its the analog headphone output of this circuit that makes it really really good sounding.  More-so than the DAC conversion.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #1,762 of 3,525
  I guess the obvious question needs to be raised.... How many of us have high enough bit-rate Data to really expose the sonic differences?... and is the native instrumentation, and mastering itself capable of highlighting the differences?

I know for a fact I do not.... Most of my favorite music just doesn't qualify, since I ripped from redbook CD-16bit to alac lossless.

IMHO its the analog headphone output of this circuit that makes it really really good sounding.  More-so than the DAC conversion.

Not sure I can hear the difference either. Also spent the past week ripping and re-ripping about 70 old CDs to flac.

Been said before, but any improvements likely come from remastering to create those high-res files. Will be interesting to see how MQA plays out on that front.

Think you're right about the V10's analog section. Who would have thought we'd be praising the amp more than the dac? Shame some don't hear it because of the auto impedance.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,764 of 3,525
It's been said many times. The high gain mode can be forced using a simple headphone cable extender.

It's the aux mode and it delivers the same power as the high impedance mode.

I know. It was my discovery.

Sadly, most V10 owners out there aren't on head-fi. So, depending on their headphones (if they even own any headphones), they may never know how great a music player they have.

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,766 of 3,525
Majority of my headphones have a detachable cable.
By connecting the cable first into the LG V10 and then connecting the headphones to the cable, it forces the 32bit HiFi DAC to go into "AUX" mode, which bypasses the "auto impedance" function.

My main source of audio is either downloads on the external SD from HD Tracks, Tidal Premium or Spotify Premium.
I also once in a while listen to Google Play, Pandora and Amazon Prime Music...all free services.
Well, Amazon is free with my Prime Membership.

I have been using PowerAmp Alpha and find it to be the best player for me...plus additional with the "Sound Amplifier" engaged on the EQ app boosts the audio even more.
So far, I'm really enjoying the audio performance from the LG V10 and have tried several different headphones and had pleasing results.

I'm no audiophile or close to being one, but enjoy listening to music. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,767 of 3,525
Guys what DAC/amp sounds the most similar to the V10? I'm looking to get a DAC for my laptop and want when using my headphones on the computer to sound the same or at least similar to when listening on the V10.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,768 of 3,525

I have been using PowerAmp Alpha and find it to be the best player for me...plus additional with the "Sound Amplifier" engaged on the EQ app boosts the audio even more.

Been waiting for the newest PowerAmp to appear in the Play Store, but how buggy is the Alpha and does it require rooting?

Also, how does PowerAmp Alpha compare to Neutron MP?

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #1,769 of 3,525

Been waiting for the newest PowerAmp to appear in the Play Store, but how buggy is the Alpha and does it require rooting?

Its a little quirky...  But for me its been stable.  I have not needed to root my Verizon V10, If it matters I paid the $3-4 for the previous release version.  It was the best option for playing alac lossless (.m4a), being a recent iOS convert.

One thing I don't like is it continually runs in the background.  AFIAK there is no way to completely deactivate the app, even after closing and exiting out of it.

There are some feedback comments here:
http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/forum/18-poweramp-v3-testing/

Not sure how it compares to Neutron.  I will D/L that later when I get home on the wifi and try it out.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #1,770 of 3,525

that's my question to, though honestly I like Neutron so I don't really feel the need to pay for another Music player 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back