LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 12, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #678 of 3,525
I dont own a portable amp. The other amp I use with my Q701 is an Emotiva Mini-x A-100 speaker amp fed by an ODAC. I hook the Q701 right to the speaker taps of the Emotiva which should be about 6 watts rms per channel. I have had no desire to hook the Q701 up the the Emotiva in a week and a half I've had the V10. This sounds just as good, and better in some ways.

30 out of 75 is 40%, and 35 out of 75 is 47%. So when Im not even at half volume, what would be the point of using an external amp? This combination is loud enough at less that half way up, so there is still plenty of headroom.

I dont need any extra bass or anything either. I dont like a lot of bass, but the bass im hearing is well textured, fast, and has good impact(considering my preference for neutraility). Overall the sound is just what I'm after. Neutral, clean, clear, and very detailed. I dont know what the deal is exactly, but I swear this is the best top end and top end detail I've ever experienced. On good recordings cymbals are the best sounding and most detailed I have ever heard.

Hey Man, thanks for this feedback! Am not sure I would have gotten to these cans with all the usual 'portable' suspects. This pairing is very, very good.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #679 of 3,525

The improvement was using Tidal with the stock M8 vs the stock V10 (with ESS DAC turned on). Difference was not subtle. 

Thank you for this precision. I was asking this cause when i rooted then s-off with a kernel that supported fauxsound (allowing to increase sound of the internal amp) and especially installed harman kardon mod it really made night and day with the stock sound. Listening to FLAC songs were an amazing discovery. In fact it would bringing so much more details with the Harman/kardon option that reveals details !! I was impressed it was like i was discovering my songs. Previously i had galaxy S3 with wolfson DAC. I'm waiting for reviews from people who were using or add harman kardon m8 edition to compare to V10 though

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #680 of 3,525
Many thanks!

And sorry for all the V10 noob questions, but is there an easy way to access the volume slider? A way to put it on an main screen, etc? 

TIDAL app doesn't seem to have a volume slider of its own. 

According to one of the devs the volume step can be modified.

After far as the slider, AFAIK, no way in stock form, but I'm 99% sure you can do it with root access. I was researching something 2 nights ago, coincidentally I came across a tutorial that did mention a more similar if not identical to what you are looking for. I'll see what I can dig up later when I have more free time.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #681 of 3,525
You can put a volume slider inbthe notification panel without root. At least on the Verizon variant you can.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #684 of 3,525
Hey Man, thanks for this feedback! Am not sure I would have gotten to these cans with all the usual 'portable' suspects. This pairing is very, very good.

You've used the V10 with the Q701 as well?

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #688 of 3,525
Hey there LG V10 owners!

Just wondering, are there any of you who are Havi B3 Pro 1 owners? I'm crushing hard on the V10 bcos of the DAC+cool specs... But I'm kinda worried cos I bought some Havi's and they're notoriously hard to drive without an amp...

Can anyone give a review on how well the Havi's sound on the V10 sans amp?

Thx!

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #690 of 3,525
Love the avatar!  I'm still rocking a 12w7 H.O box.

I would try to rush t-mobile so you can jump on the bundle

if your gonna get rid of the e17 for a e12.  Jump on a C5 instead.  It has a better bassboost and its a warmer amp.

I'm was thinking of getting rid of my e18 for a c5 but decided that I like the ability to charge my phone.

Thanks! Got a 15" Fi SP4. I guess I'll try it without an amp first. I can always use the e17k for my laptop. Too bad the amp section is weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back