LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 11, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #661 of 3,525
Need? Definitely not. I do like it better with an amp, Cayin C5. I am a basshead, but I do enjoy loud music from time to time.

For me, the amp brings out the bass obviously, increases the volume to nicer levels. I'm definitely in the minority here though.

That's only when no mobile, not worth it to stack otherwise.

I am a basshead too. I have a fiio e17k now. With this phone i don't need the DAC so i am thinking about trading it for an e12. It has been two days and tmobile still hasn't ship, but i got a good deal at $500.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #662 of 3,525
Have you tried your Q701 with an amp from the phone? If so doo you notice anything? Thanks

I dont own a portable amp. The other amp I use with my Q701 is an Emotiva Mini-x A-100 speaker amp fed by an ODAC. I hook the Q701 right to the speaker taps of the Emotiva which should be about 6 watts rms per channel. I have had no desire to hook the Q701 up the the Emotiva in a week and a half I've had the V10. This sounds just as good, and better in some ways.

30 out of 75 is 40%, and 35 out of 75 is 47%. So when Im not even at half volume, what would be the point of using an external amp? This combination is loud enough at less that half way up, so there is still plenty of headroom.

I dont need any extra bass or anything either. I dont like a lot of bass, but the bass im hearing is well textured, fast, and has good impact(considering my preference for neutraility). Overall the sound is just what I'm after. Neutral, clean, clear, and very detailed. I dont know what the deal is exactly, but I swear this is the best top end and top end detail I've ever experienced. On good recordings cymbals are the best sounding and most detailed I have ever heard.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #663 of 3,525
Depends on the headphone and how loud you listen. 30 to 35 out of 75 gets my Q701 in the 75 to 80db range which is where i always listen.

I doubt the V10 can drive hungry planars very well but I am curious how close it can get with the hifi dac on. Has anyone tried the Fostex mk3 or any similar type headphone (mk2, MrSpeakers) direct to the V10?

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #664 of 3,525
I have a pair of the T50rp's that i was trying to do my own mods with. I havent listened to them at all in years but i can dig them out and try them for you if that helps any.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #665 of 3,525
It's so odd. It seems that every headphone I plug into this thing is the same volume in the 30 to 35 area out of 75. My T50rp seems to be at about the same level as everything else at 30 or 35. I guess thats how this "adaptive" amp works. Every headphone, even my IEM's, other than my HM5 is at my prefered listening level in the 30 to 35 area. The HM5 is loud in the 20 to 25 area since it's high impedance, but also high sensitivity.

This T50rp isnt exactly my cup of tea, i wasnt successful at tuning it how i wanted it. But the V10 does seem to power it well enough for my needs.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #666 of 3,525
It's so odd. It seems that every headphone I plug into this thing is the same volume in the 30 to 35 area out of 75. My T50rp seems to be at about the same level as everything else at 30 or 35. I guess thats how this "adaptive" amp works. Every headphone, even my IEM's, other than my HM5 is at my prefered listening level in the 30 to 35 area. The HM5 is loud in the 20 to 25 area since it's high impedance, but also high sensitivity.

This T50rp isnt exactly my cup of tea, i wasnt successful at tuning it how i wanted it. But the V10 does seem to power it well enough for my needs.

Thanks so much for that. Would be nice to use my mk3 without an amp.

I didn't even the know the V10's amp was adaptive (sounds similar to current mode amplification). I gotta get a V10. LG should really market this thing.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #667 of 3,525
I am a basshead too. I have a fiio e17k now. With this phone i don't need the DAC so i am thinking about trading it for an e12. It has been two days and tmobile still hasn't ship, but i got a good deal at $500.

Love the avatar!  I'm still rocking a 12w7 H.O box.

I would try to rush t-mobile so you can jump on the bundle

if your gonna get rid of the e17 for a e12.  Jump on a C5 instead.  It has a better bassboost and its a warmer amp.

I'm was thinking of getting rid of my e18 for a c5 but decided that I like the ability to charge my phone.

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #669 of 3,525
I am so jealous guys! I read here your tests and all! LG is really taking their time to release this in Europe!!!

It can already be ordered on France :

eglobal France (eglobal central (France & Belgium))
11 nov. 20:39

Bonjour,

Merci de votre retour.

En ce qui concerne votre question, nous confirmons que l'article « LG V10 » est disponible en ce moment. Cependant, nous vous conseillons de passer votre commande rapidement afin d’éviter toute éventuelle rupture de stock car nous recevons quotidiennement beaucoup de commandes.

En général, nous expédions les commandes sous 1 à 3 jours ouvrables, et nos délais de livraison sont normalement d'environ 6-8 jours ouvrables pour la Livraison Standard. La Livraison Prioritaire Express quant à elle nécessite environ 3-5 jours ouvrables. Pour en savoir plus, veuillez consulter le lien suivant : http://www.eglobalcentral.fr/expedition-et-assurance.html

Restant à votre entière disposition pour toute information complémentaire.

Cordialement,
eGlobal Central France

But careful it's not compatible with 800 MHZ frequencies for 4G (otherwise i would already have one :p)

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #670 of 3,525
It can already be ordered on France :

[COLOR=1B1D1E]eglobal France (eglobal central (France & Belgium))[/COLOR]
11 nov. 20:39

Bonjour,

Merci de votre retour.

En ce qui concerne votre question, nous confirmons que l'article « LG V10 » est disponible en ce moment. Cependant, nous vous conseillons de passer votre commande rapidement afin d’éviter toute éventuelle rupture de stock car nous recevons quotidiennement beaucoup de commandes.

En général, nous expédions les commandes sous 1 à 3 jours ouvrables, et nos délais de livraison sont normalement d'environ 6-8 jours ouvrables pour la Livraison Standard. La Livraison Prioritaire Express quant à elle nécessite environ 3-5 jours ouvrables. Pour en savoir plus, veuillez consulter le lien suivant : http://www.eglobalcentral.fr/expedition-et-assurance.html

Restant à votre entière disposition pour toute information complémentaire.

Cordialement,

eGlobal Central France

[tr] [/tr]

But careful it's not compatible with 800 MHZ frequencies for 4G (otherwise i would already have one :p)

Yes but I have to get the official European version for compatibility with the networks and so my company can pay for it :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #671 of 3,525
Just got the V10 yesterday and finally giving it a good listen with my Shure 846! Wow, what an improvement over the HTC M8. One concern though is that on these very sensitive IEMs, the steps on the volume control are larger than I'd like. Sometimes 1 level is too soft, but the volume just one click up from that is a bit too loud. 

I think I remember seeing something about being able to have a more fine grained volume control when I was researching the phone, but I can't seem to find it right now. And the fact that the steps in the volume control are increments of 5 would suggest that this may be something that can be adjusted (pressing the volume button just once jumps the volume from 30 to 35). 

I know some other 846 users are probably facing the same thing. Any help would be very appreciated. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #672 of 3,525
Well, of course...I think htc m8 only used snapdragon DAC but with opamp chips and beat software to mask the sounds. I don't think it can get as detailed as the V10 a true audiophile phone with dedicated DAC and op amp.

As far as the volume, I hear using the slider and you can control it better :D, and using the button will increase too much per

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #673 of 3,525
  Just got the V10 yesterday and finally giving it a good listen with my Shure 846! Wow, what an improvement over the HTC M8. One concern though is that on these very sensitive IEMs, the steps on the volume control are larger than I'd like. Sometimes 1 level is too soft, but the volume just one click up from that is a bit too loud. 

I think I remember seeing something about being able to have a more fine grained volume control when I was researching the phone, but I can't seem to find it right now. And the fact that the steps in the volume control are increments of 5 would suggest that this may be something that can be adjusted (pressing the volume button just once jumps the volume from 30 to 35). 

I know some other 846 users are probably facing the same thing. Any help would be very appreciated. 

Did you have any audio mod installed on your M8 ? I would like to know as it is important to measure what you're calling improvement :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #674 of 3,525
As far as the volume, I hear using the slider and you can control it better
biggrin.gif
, and using the button will increase too much per

Ah, yes, the slider! If anyone knows a way to make the increments smaller for each press of the button, please let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back