LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Dec 4, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #376 of 1,179
I would like to add that ios vs android os, which is better, neither one is better, it's subjective.

Open source software my friend

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #377 of 1,179
I wanted to confirm what I think OP and others have already stated.

After believing the Hifi dac and amp to work with Google Play and Amazon Music, I have since discovered that the Hifi DAC and amp only truly work with some services, such as the pre-installed Music player, Pandora and DS Audio (a player for my Synology NAS) streaming services. It does not work with Amazon Music or Google Play streaming services. I believe this is likely because of whatever digital rights protection Amazon and Google put on their streaming services which is incompatible with the Hifi DAC.

I discovered this because I picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm headphones. As you guys well know, these phones require a bit more juice to power, and had thought the V10 would be able to handle it. However, when using Google Play streaming, I discovered that the max volume was not that loud at all. Further, switching on and off the Hifi dac didn't really make a difference. I then switched over to the pre-installed player, DS Audio and later Pandora and discovered that, using those services, turning on the Hifi dac provided plenty of power to the Beyerdynamic. So it's pretty clear that, even though Hifi is on when streaming Google Play, the more powerful Hifi amp is not being used.

So I'm disappointed. Is the V10 passing raw data to the DAC and only does so with certain unprotected streams? Why can't the V10 convert the audio to say a raw WAV format and then send it to the DAC? In either case I thought I'd report these findings to any potential purchasers.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #378 of 1,179
It works with Tidal too.

And there is a workaround to trigger the hifi dac with any app. It's necessary to leave opened in the background a specific app that triggers the hifi dac. Then you can use Spotify or Google play with the dac enabled. The trick was discovered by accident in the xda forum.
Check the other thread of the V10 here in head fi for more details. I posted it two days ago.

Anyway if you can afford Tidal I think it's worth the money.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #379 of 1,179
Yup. Tidal all the way. Its worth the xtra 10 bucks over spotify and th rest.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #380 of 1,179
Tidal is superior in sound quality which to me is worth the switch. Works perfectly with the hi-fi dac and sounds amazing on my HD650s!

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #381 of 1,179
Guys I just wanted to mention I had luck using my girlfriends school info to sign up and I yet hifi for $9.99 month I believe applies to military. Once I typed her name and college it verified instantly. Loving tidal

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #384 of 1,179
Neko Atsume is a hack worth checking out. So far, it's working very well with spotify and surprisingly even Apple Music.

So you basically download the game, start the app, turn off all sound(game), then open spotify to have it playing on the background,.. then go back to the game and turn on hifi mode.

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't and the improvement in sq is totally worth the annoyance. LG better fix this nonsense soon, coz one of the reason I held off on getting the V10 is precisely due to this dumb flaw in their hifi implementation. My buddy showed me the way two days ago, and I ran out and got the phone next morning^.^

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #385 of 1,179
Hi there! i've got my LG V10 today. And how about LG's sound quality? oh my god, i cant belive it. The best music phone in my hands. Bye bye Sony walkman Z1000, F800 and Sony Z3.
LG V10 is my all in one now. Thank @Whitigir again for your review.help me so much for a right choice. LOL sorry about my English. Im so exited!!!!! listening music for hours.....

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #386 of 1,179
I am a audio newbie and just got audio technica ath-m50x and I'll be honest I can't tell the difference between HIFI w Tidal vs just playing through Google music on my V10. Are my headphones not capable of hearing the difference??? Or do I just maybe have bad hearing or not know how to tell the difference

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #387 of 1,179
I am a audio newbie and just got audio technica ath-m50x and I'll be honest I can't tell the difference between HIFI w Tidal vs just playing through Google music on my V10. Are my headphones not capable of hearing the difference??? Or do I just maybe have bad hearing or not know how to tell the difference

Could be many things but the m50x is a top-rated headphone in it's price range so those should be ok. The song choice and your hearing ability can make a huge difference but it still may not be night and day no matter the rest of the chain. 

What kinds of music are you comparing?

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #388 of 1,179
my university let us keep our e-mails for life after graduation so I just use that for student discounts.  I had amazon prime free for a few years 
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #389 of 1,179
Could be many things but the m50x is a top-rated headphone in it's price range so those should be ok. The song choice and your hearing ability can make a huge difference but it still may not be night and day no matter the rest of the chain. 

What kinds of music are you comparing?

I've tried a couple different genres (rock) disturbed (pop) Adele HELLO lol couple other songs switching back and forth the HIFI switch on/off and I really cant tell sometimes I think I can tell but it's very very slight and hard to distinguish.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #390 of 1,179
Hi there! i've got my LG V10 today. And how about LG's sound quality? oh my god, i cant belive it. The best music phone in my hands. Bye bye Sony walkman Z1000, F800 and Sony Z3.
LG V10 is my all in one now. Thank @Whitigir again for your review.help me so much for a right choice. LOL sorry about my English. Im so exited!!!!! listening music for hours.....

Exactly. Sony ZX2 worth only $170 now... It doesn't sound better than V10. It can't justify $600 price difference.... there's no more reason to carry a second device and spend $1,000 on it.

I have realized how foolish it is to spend $300 on an android supported headphone amp/DAC device like Oppo HA-2. 
There's no need for it any longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back