LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Oct 26, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #61 of 1,179
For anyone who has tested the LG V10 with Poweramp...

How does the sound compare using the V10 stock music player (with the HiFi enabled) vs. using Poweramp (obviously with no HiFi)?  I wouldn't think the difference can be THAT great...

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #62 of 1,179
For anyone who has tested the LG V10 with Poweramp...

How does the sound compare using the V10 stock music player (with the HiFi enabled) vs. using Poweramp (obviously with no HiFi)?  I wouldn't think the difference can be THAT great...

If the difference is not THAT great it would be no need to get the V10 :wink:

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #64 of 1,179
Of course there is.

1. Expandable storage up to 200+ gb.
2. Removable battery.
3. Can power cans that other phones can't.
4. Other pretty amazing features beyond the DAC.

With Poweramp it uses the Snapdragon chip and will not be able to power able other cans then other phones.

If there's not a big difference between the sound from the regular Snapdragon chip and the Sabre (and so far everything idicate that there is) I'd say LG has made a very poor decision and Sabre a very poor work.

I'm pretty sure every phone that supports 128 gb SD card will also support 200 gb.

I just don't see why anyone would by this phone with the intention not to use the Sabre chip when using headphones /IEM's but YMMV.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #65 of 1,179
I just don't see why anyone would by this phone with the intention not to use the Sabre chip when using headphones /IEM's but YMMV.

I totally agree with you peter123, why have a Sabre chip in your smartphone when you can't use it with all the music apps. Defeats the whole purpose of having the Sabre chip inside. Imagine your PC with the logo "Intel inside" with small inscription of "works with Microsoft apps only" 
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #66 of 1,179
I must agree that this is a deal breaker for me. As an LG user, I can confirm that the LG stock music app sucks. Not only it lacks so many features that it feels barebones to me, but also, it cannot play gapless tracks, which pretty much ruins every live recording you want to listen.

I don't care about Youtube or Spotify not being able to access the DAC, since those can only play lossy music anyways. I'm just concerned about my music files playing as they should.

Until they fix this and either make the audiophile DAC available to other apps (so that I can play my hi-res files from PowerAmp and still benefit from the DAC), or at least upgrade the stock app (so that it can play gaplessly and provides you with the basic features an audiplayer must have), there's no point in having such a powerful DAC. But this is only a matter of software,so it can be solved easily with a minor OTA update. I trust LG to take care of the issue.

I think it's quite short sighted to not allow Tidal the best path. It's what a lot of folks with this type of device will expect. Phone sounds like ti was designed by 2 separate groups that didn't talk enough.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #67 of 1,179
I think it's quite short sighted to not allow Tidal the best path. It's what a lot of folks with this type of device will expect. Phone sounds like ti was designed by 2 separate groups that didn't talk enough.

Looks like the Sabre chip on the V10 is only an afterthought and was thrown in to give it the flagship "ESS Sabre inside" status together with it's "tuned by AKG" Quadbeat 3. How else could a big company like LG make such a blunder of the crippled Sabre chip inside. Looks like it's "Oops....I miss again" effort by LG.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #69 of 1,179
That's terrible. Hopefully they fix it, if not there is always XDA. I'm sure the devs will find a workaround in time.

As of at this moment, all of android apps related to media will default onto the normal integrated SnapDragon codec in the V10. However the V10 stock music app has the ability to enable and utilize the Sabre DAC and AMP. The toggling switch is there, but only the stock app music can access it correctly, any other apps such as tidal, power amp, neutron ...etc...Netflix, YouTube....can not access the Sabres codec.

The sound quality ?

Let's just say the Snap Dragon has lower volume, worse tonal body in the bass, still detailed and yet with narrower soundstage. Is it noticeable ? Absolutely!

I do think XDA folk will find a way to default the android apps into natively access the Sabres codec. The problem could be drainage of battery ?

If LG don't push OTA fix into the phone, then XDA stuff will need rooting.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #70 of 1,179
Root access probably wont be possible on the Verizon variant. Verizon tries very hard to keep their phones locked.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #71 of 1,179
I will still buy this phone.  It hits all of the checkmarks I've been looking for. 

Coming from a HTC One M7, I found it lacking as a media player.  So much so, I have continued using my iPod Touch 3G until a few months ago, when I decided to splurge for a iBasso DX90.  I will sell the M7 and return the iBasso, and that pretty much covers the price of the LG V10 (almost). 

But with the LG V10, having a phone that is actually expandable (in theory) to 2TB - and practically up to 264 gb (which covers most of my FLAC files), with the ability to maximize my PM-3s and HD-600s, even if there are "issues" with the actual usability of the DAC, as well as the other high end features of the phone... its still a no brainer for me.  It's the all-in-one device I wanted when I bought the M7, even if I can't use my Poweramp app. 

I suspect we'll get a workaround with the Sabre DAC; if not, I'm still considering signing up with T Mobile's "Jump on Demand" program (even though I can buy the phone outright), and in 6 months I can trade up to the next phone that offers the audiophile DAC for any app we use anyway.  

(Plus, a "free" 200gb micro SD card, an extra battery and charging cradle are pretty compelling perks)

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #72 of 1,179
In the mean time. LG V10 was brought out to the snipers, and it turned out that V10 can withstand 1 sniper bullet (missed?) and save whoever is lucky enough to meet all the criteria. Check out the video

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/KNx06G3MoTU[/VIDEO]

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #75 of 1,179
I saw a TV commercial for it last night and I was drooling. It is beautiful. Unfortunately, if you can only use the stock app for the ess DAC, that's a deal breaker for me as well. I do have faith in the XDA community, only problem is development for LG is definitely a few steps behind Sammy. Perhaps this device will change that as it has a lot to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back