LG G8 ThinQ
Nov 4, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #16 of 58
Concerning comment in the GSMarena review of the G8x, who tests these pretty extensively:

Starts off good...
The LG G8X ThinQ delivered perfect sound output in both parts of our audio quality test through the jack. All of its scores were top-notch with an active amplifier and headphones caused basically no damage - we’ve seen higher stereo crosstalk readings from other phones without headphones than the G8X managed with.

Then...
The loudness wasn’t quite as impressive - the G8X ThinQ was below average, which is somewhat disappointing for a flagship these days. Even enabling the QuadDAC option, which helped boost the loudness on the G8 ThinQ, didn’t do much good this time around.

You have to wonder if they invoked high-gain mode or not...

Has anyone picked up the ATT version yet on here and tested?

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #18 of 58
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #20 of 58
LG G8 vs V40 vs V50 ? which one sounds the best???

G8 ThinQ and G8X ThinQ are different models btw.

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g8_thinq-9540.php
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g8x_thinq-9844.php

Did anyone pick up the unlocked G8X yet to compare audio to the later V line?

To answer the question, the phones from the V40 on should sound the same as they are all tuned by Meridian (this includes original G8). The V30 line is tuned by B&O and is noticeably strident sounding with certain material. Awaiting verdict on new G8X...

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #21 of 58
Did anyone pick up the unlocked G8X yet to compare audio to the later V line?

To answer the question, the phones from the V40 on should sound the same as they are all tuned by Meridian (this includes original G8). The V30 line is tuned by B&O and is noticeably strident sounding with certain material. Awaiting verdict on new G8X...
just got my g8x after trading in my v30. on initial listen the g8x has a little less output/oomph, but sounds a little smoother. one thing i have noticed is that i don't need to plug in an adapter to activate the hifi dac on the g8x--regular lower impedance headphones seem to put it into external mode. can anyone confirm?

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #22 of 58
just got my g8x after trading in my v30. on initial listen the g8x has a little less output/oomph, but sounds a little smoother. one thing i have noticed is that i don't need to plug in an adapter to activate the hifi dac on the g8x--regular lower impedance headphones seem to put it into external mode. can anyone confirm?

So, is it worth upgrading from V30 to G8? do you think G8 sounds significantly better than V30?

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #23 of 58
So, is it worth upgrading from V30 to G8? do you think G8 sounds significantly better than V30?
purely from an audio standpoint, i think the v30 is marginally better. the g8x (which is different than the g8) has certain other advantages like the dual screen and esp. better battery life.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #24 of 58
I think the real comparison should be the V40--since it is noticeably smoother than the V30, I'm sure it sounds the same as the G8X as they are both tuned by Meridian.

Do regular headphones that dont trigger High-Impedance on the V30 trigger on the G8X? Make sure to differentiate between (preferred) High-Impedance and Exernal Mode also.

If i recall correctly, I did notice that with my 45ohm Pioneer SE-Master1 headphones--they set regular impedance on V30 but high-impedance on V40.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #25 of 58
purely from an audio standpoint, i think the v30 is marginally better. the g8x (which is different than the g8) has certain other advantages like the dual screen and esp. better battery life.

That's strange... honestly LG V20 sounded a little better than V30. It looks like V series gets worse with each new release.

I think LG V30 is just alright in terms of SQ... it doesn't sound better than iBasso DX100 or Pono player. It sounds close to Sony ZX1.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #26 of 58
SABRE® and QUAD DAC TM Technology from ESS Enables High Audio Quality in the Latest LG G8 Phone
The G8 ThinQ Continues LG’s Commitment to Innovative Audio Features and Market-Leading Sound Quality Based on SABRE®and QUAD DAC™ Technology from ESS

Milpitas, California - ESS Technology, the industry leader in HiFi audio and analog design, announced today that its audio System-on-Chip (SoC), The ES9218P, powers the latest G8 ThinQ smartphone by LG.

The new G8 ThinQ from LG delivers audiophile sound-quality delivered by ESS Technology’s ES9218P. The ES9218P is a System-on-Chip that offers impressive sound quality to mobile devices, designed to meet the demanding needs of mobile applications. The ES9218P is built around the legendary ESS SABRE® DAC. The technology provides amazing sound quality with a stable image and immersive sound-stage. The ultra-low noise QUAD DAC Technology reduces background hiss without consuming significant power from the battery.

The ES9218P has a unique high-power headphone driver that allows the G8 ThinQ to deliver up to 2vrms output power, enough to support the most demanding of headphones. This gives the G8 significant headroom compared to other phones which deliver less than half the voltage. The extra power eliminates the need for accessory devices that are bulky and expensive.

“ESS is pleased to be working with and enabling LG, the market leader in providing high audio quality phones. The G8 ThinQ sets the new phone audio standard by combining ESS audio chip technology with other audiophile features like MQA, Boombox speakers, audio tuning by Meridian, and the new Speaker Screen technology” said Robert Wong, VP of Sales and Marketing for ESS Technology.

About ESS Technology
For more than three decades, ESS Technology has been on the cutting edge of audio technology. A privately-held fabless semiconductor company, ESS Technology designs and markets high-performance analog and HiFi audio devices for mobile, consumer, automotive, and professional audiophile systems. The company was founded in 1984 and Today ESS Technology is best known for its SABRE series of high-performance audio products. For more information, visit http://www.esstech.com.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...nables-high-audio-quality-latest-lg-g8-phone/

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #27 of 58
I think LG should make smaller version of these V series phones... I like SQ of these phones but they're too big.
I'd like to see 4.7" version of these phones... or even smaller Walkman-sized versions. LG V50 mini would be perfect.

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #28 of 58
Just sold Note 10 Plus and bought myself a G8. I got tired of on screen fingerprint scanner failing and lack off a headphone jack. The G8 sounds crazy good with UAPP. If I play straight from Tidal app, there is noticeable hiss between tracks. UAPP not only sounds a lot better in terms of clarity, separation, and full bodied, but there is no hiss at all.

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #30 of 58
Which one sounds better? V40 or G8?
V40 is now really cheap. A refurbished bad ESN V40 sells for only $100 on Ebay.
G8 costs twice more.

Probably very similar for pure audio purposes. They have the same ESS chip and Meridian tuning. Seriously very good DAP for $100. In all honesty, I get the same enjoyment with G8 driving Westone ES60 as was DX220 with amp8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back