LG G6 Sound Quality
Apr 15, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #76 of 453
@evolutionx
Can you comment on the AMP capacity of G6.
V20 had a dedicated amp and lg touted so in their ads saying "Quad DAC+headphone Amp" but so far havent found something equivalent for G6 which is odd coz if it were there , they surely would promote it.

Hi BrOtO, I am not sure about the amp capacity.  But I try it with my Sony Z1R and it drives it with ease at almost the same level (55 out of 75) as using iems.   I am quite impressed with the sound with the Sony.   At max volume, it struggles to drive Mr Speakers Ether C, a harder to drive planar headphone.  iPhone 7 plus can drive the Ether C 15%to 20% louder at max volume.  So I don't think there is headphone amp function since iPhone 7 plus seems to be able to drive louder.  I don't have V20 so this is subjective test.  

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #77 of 453
@evolutionx
Can you comment on the AMP capacity of G6.
V20 had a dedicated amp and lg touted so in their ads saying "Quad DAC+headphone Amp" but so far havent found something equivalent for G6 which is odd coz if it were there , they surely would promote it.

Because the G6 only has a quad DAC in Korea.

And yes, it has an amp in it, it just doesn't have the on-off switch like the v20.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #78 of 453
Because the G6 only has a quad DAC in Korea.

And yes, it has an amp in it, it just doesn't have the on-off switch like the v20.

Amp is there everywhere..question is just how capable it is ..like HTC 10 , HTC desire 10 lifestyle have a fairly capable Amp in it..drives headphones upto 80 ohm very well.
But V20 drives upto 600 ohm (tested and proven)

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #79 of 453
Quick viewpoint, had the G6 for 3 days.  So far it seems to be similar to the V20 except bass is less and mids not so forward.  The treble seems better as a result of the changes to bass and mids.  Amp power seems similar to V20, using EL8 closed need to trick it into high mode same as V20.
However compared to Onkyo Granbeat it is behind especially when I use balanced.  It is probably the best sounding mobile phone that is not DAP derived however.

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #80 of 453
kantana
Onkyo is WAY too much overhyped from peoples mouth to mouth whence LG is making the difference making a PROPER hybrid.

Es9218 released in 2016 was made closely associated with LG and possibly is exclusive that way viz a good thing. Sabre hardware+LG flagship+BnO tuning... Take it from sales and marketing Vice President of ESS

Onkyo is touting the dual Amp dual DAC outfit but the DAC is es9018c2m a derivative of ol es9018 .9018c2m is even formerly used in LG g5 DAC module.

Point is , LG here is using a brand-new TOTL 8-channel DAC in mobile environment and pulled that off perfectly.

Most DAPs dont have an 'exclusive' hardware or a mastered cohesion between hardware and software and hence "they try to pull it off with premium look and build materials"

Onkyo is just another example of that.Dual DAC+amp design...nothing special about that..sound is better -- is so subjective that a conclusion cant possibly be drawn from that.
All we can do is compare specs and implementation .

specs wise lg is better ..better snr ..better thd.
And implementation wise lg should be better bcoz it has an IC doing everything.

And people are desperately trying to compare the balanced of onkyo with unbalanced of lg ....that is saying a lot about V20 SQ

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #81 of 453
Just my 2 cents but I believe what I hear not the specs.  In this case the amp on the Onkyo must make the difference since the LG G6 has the more modern superior DAC.  Just the power from balanced Granbeat is more powerful than the G6 even on high.
Like I said, G6 probably sounds best from standard mobile phones but it still lags behind DAPs and a hybrid like the Granbeat.  The Axon 7 comes to mind wherr the AK4490 used lags behind superior amps used in DAPs.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #82 of 453
kantana
Point I am trying to make here is the Difference between using a mobile DAC and a 'hybrid' DAC

Axon 7 uses the ak4490EN (same as Fiio X5-iii , a DAP) and Onkyo uses Es9018c2m Dual Dac system but BOTH are 'mobile' DACs where as Es9218 Quad-DAC is hybrid DAC sharing the same architecture with Desktop DAC (ES9038pro) but with proper modification to adjust the power requirements.

I have the V20 ..two of em ..and what I am gradually finding out is that I simply dont have proper headphone to appreciate it to its full extent (MSR7 , soundmagic E80c , AKG k240 studio).I am getting RHA CL750 (150 ohm ) and finally Monoprice M1060 (50 ohm) next month to explore it RIGHT..

Monoprice M1060 is a newly introduced Planar Magnetic that is proven to be better than Audeze LCD 2 but at a fraction of price.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #83 of 453
No ideas if 9218 shares same archtecture of ES9038. the ES9038 is 8 channels like the ES9018 before it but ES9218 was sold as first quad dac. All I know is from owning all these devices is that SQ for me is G6 beats V20 beats Axon 7 but all fall short of Granbeat which falls short of AK240.
Specs don't mean a thing if implementation falls short. Eg. Axon 7 uses AK4490 but doesn't sound as good as AK380 but doesn't mean AK380 is behind V20. You really need to listen to each complete package and not get distracted by specs.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #84 of 453
kantana
Please check the screenshots..

Es9218 sharing same architecture with ES9038pro as posted in http://www.esstech.com

All I know is from owning all these devices is that SQ for me is G6 beats V20 beats Axon 7 but all fall short of Granbeat which falls short of AK240.

Direct comparison of V20 with Ak240 using Sennheiser HD800 as posted in http://www.ubergizmo.com way back in last october

Like I said Onkyo is Overhyped..

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #85 of 453
LOL the V20 cannot drive the HD800 anywhere near it's potential.  Even the AK240 will be pushed single ended, balanced it has better results but still nowhere near the HD800 potential.  If you are going to compare the V20 and AK240 then use them with earphones or headphones that can show their potentials instead of being underdriven.  I liked the V20 when compared to other mobile phones but it still comes short when compared to dedicated DAPs like the AK240.
I've been using JH Roxannes listening to the G6 and the Granbeat.  These can be driven easily by both players but I get more details and better staging and layering with the Granbeat.  Mind you I am using the Roxannes with balanced out of the Granbeat but in AGC mode so should be same power as single ended.
For fun I did try both G6 and Granbeat with my HD800 but didn't like the sound from G6, underdriven and thin.  It sounded better with the Granbeat from balanced out but still not to it's full potential.  I admit I'm not a golden eared audiophile, just someone that enjoys music played right.  
Don't read too much into the specs, ES9218 may share hyperstream II used in  ES9038 but it's still a mobile dac like the ES9018.  Whats's more important is how it's been implemented.  ES9218 should have AVC as well but have seen no evidence of that being used on either of the LG phones.  Don't confuse the desktop dacs like 9038 with the 9218.  I compared the ES9018 desktop dac used in the iBasso DX100 with the ES9018 mobile dac used in the DX90 and there was huge difference in quality.
In the end you should let your ears decide which is better depending on the equipment you will use with it.  Trying to run high impedance, hard to drive headphones with 2 portable players then deciding they both sound the same does not paint the true picture of their performance.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #86 of 453
  LOL the V20 cannot drive the HD800 anywhere near it's potential.  Even the AK240 will be pushed single ended, balanced it has better results but still nowhere near the HD800 potential.  If you are going to compare the V20 and AK240 then use them with earphones or headphones that can show their potentials instead of being underdriven.  I liked the V20 when compared to other mobile phones but it still comes short when compared to dedicated DAPs like the AK240.
I've been using JH Roxannes listening to the G6 and the Granbeat.  These can be driven easily by both players but I get more details and better staging and layering with the Granbeat.  Mind you I am using the Roxannes with balanced out of the Granbeat but in AGC mode so should be same power as single ended.
For fun I did try both G6 and Granbeat with my HD800 but didn't like the sound from G6, underdriven and thin.  It sounded better with the Granbeat from balanced out but still not to it's full potential.  I admit I'm not a golden eared audiophile, just someone that enjoys music played right.  
Don't read too much into the specs, ES9218 may share hyperstream II used in  ES9038 but it's still a mobile dac like the ES9018.  Whats's more important is how it's been implemented.  ES9218 should have AVC as well but have seen no evidence of that being used on either of the LG phones.  Don't confuse the desktop dacs like 9038 with the 9218.  I compared the ES9018 desktop dac used in the iBasso DX100 with the ES9018 mobile dac used in the DX90 and there was huge difference in quality.
In the end you should let your ears decide which is better depending on the equipment you will use with it.  Trying to run high impedance, hard to drive headphones with 2 portable players then deciding they both sound the same does not paint the true picture of their performance.

My interpretation of that wasn't that the v20 is able to push the HD800 so much as it was saying the Onkyo is overpriced.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #87 of 453
For me in HK, the price of the G6 is same as the Granbeat, if you get the various discounts then the Smartone Granbeat deal is cheaper than the G6.  However depends what you want, as a phone the G6 beats the Granbeat but as a DAP the Granbeat beats the G6.  I carry around 2 phones so a general all purpose phone and then a decent audio phone.  For me I prefer the Granbeat to the G6 as a DAP.  If I was to carry around just 1 phone then the G6 would be more suitable.

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #88 of 453
has any one got any compression between G6 and Onkyo Granbeat ? in India they are going launch with Quad dac but i am thinking to wait for V30 or Onkyo Granbeat in my mind but very expensive 

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #89 of 453
Hey guys from what I understand QDAC is also available in hong kong version of LG G6 but with some better LTE bands. Can someone please share the model number for Hong Kong LG G6, so I can start looking at ebay?

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #90 of 453
  Hey guys from what I understand QDAC is also available in hong kong version of LG G6 but with some better LTE bands. Can someone please share the model number for Hong Kong LG G6, so I can start looking at ebay?

The model number for the hong kong version is LG-H870DS.
Full information including specs here:
http://www.lg.com/hk_en/mobile-phone/lg-LGH870DS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back