LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Jun 29, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #826 of 1,050
Have either of you heard of the app HibyMusic? If not i think its worth checking out for those who use the Hifi plus dac. Reason being is when your headphones are plugged in, open the app and it asks if you would like use the dac as an external device. This way the app by passes the Hifi plus impedance gain system and gives you the full power of the amp just like when its connected to a PC via usb (high gain regardless of headphone impedance). 

Thank you for telling us about the app! I will definitely check it out this evening.

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #829 of 1,050
  Let me know what you think, just be careful with sensitive iems as the gain is pretty high. 

Thanks from me as well. Unfortunately I have no local music and rely on Tidal exclusively. Perhaps then I can try UAPP like I use on my S7 + Dragonfly and then it will stay in high-gain mode. Worth a try!

-Collin-

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #830 of 1,050
@esuhgb Hibymusic works flawlessy with the module for me, completley bypasses the normal LG controls and adds so much more volume.

@Duncan Give Hibymusic a try, takes away the volume bug.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #831 of 1,050
@esuhgb Hibymusic works flawlessy with the module for me, completley bypasses the normal LG controls and adds so much more volume.

@Duncan Give Hibymusic a try, takes away the volume bug.

Seconded. esuhgb, thank you for the recommendation! It works very well for my stored music. At first, some of my songs sounded garbled, but it appears the issue was caused by playing different file formats in rapid succession.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #833 of 1,050
On a different note from the volume issue, the G5 + DAC is still driving me absolutely crazy and I feel that I am about to sell it all and be done with it (for the third time now). I cannot believe I am the only one having this issue with three separate sets of hardware. Still, when I am out streaming music over 4G LTE, the DAC will cut out and lose connection all together. It is rather embarrassing and then the music starts coming through the phone speaker at times. Then a few seconds later, the DAC will be back and the HiFi icon restores. It's ruining the wonderful sound quality and experience for me and I just cannot understand it. It does NOT happen on 3G, or while streaming music with the phone in airplane mode. It is specifically happening with a 4G LTE connection and I have tried two different carriers' SIM cards now. I think I'm at the end of my ropes. ZTE Axon 7, here I come. 

-Collin-

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #834 of 1,050
On a different note from the volume issue, the G5 + DAC is still driving me absolutely crazy and I feel that I am about to sell it all and be done with it (for the third time now). I cannot believe I am the only one having this issue with three separate sets of hardware. Still, when I am out streaming music over 4G LTE, the DAC will cut out and lose connection all together. It is rather embarrassing and then the music starts coming through the phone speaker at times. Then a few seconds later, the DAC will be back and the HiFi icon restores. It's ruining the wonderful sound quality and experience for me and I just cannot understand it. It does NOT happen on 3G, or while streaming music with the phone in airplane mode. It is specifically happening with a 4G LTE connection and I have tried two different carriers' SIM cards now. I think I'm at the end of my ropes. ZTE Axon 7, here I come. 

-Collin-

My friend, you are not alone. The same thing happened to me several times last night - exactly as you described - while I was streaming using cellular data. I spent a few minutes trying to get it to function properly, but I couldn't come up with any surefire solutions. My main issue appeared to be with Textra because the music started cutting out while I was receiving/sending messages. I didn't have a lot of time to troubleshoot, so I don't have much evidence to support my theory. Hopefully, I will have a some time to investigate this evening.

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #835 of 1,050
My friend, you are not alone. The same thing happened to me several times last night - exactly as you described - while I was streaming using cellular data. I spent a few minutes trying to get it to function properly, but I couldn't come up with any surefire solutions. My main issue appeared to be with Textra because the music started cutting out while I was receiving/sending messages. I didn't have a lot of time to troubleshoot, so I don't have much evidence to support my theory. Hopefully, I will have a some time to investigate this evening.

Well, I'm slightly relieved to hear this, but very sorry for you to have to experience it. I chatted with Gavin about this and we think it has something to do with the FCC deciding this can't be sold in the US. If it interferes at all with the cellular reception, which clearly it may, I think the FCC would have reason to not allow it here. I'm not really sure what's going on, but I've been at this for months and no success. I have narrowed it down only 4G. 

If you can, try turning your phone from GSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto to GSM/WCDMA Auto. This will force it into 3G instead of 4G and it works for me every time. I'm seriously at the end of my ropes, because 3G cannot stream Tidal HiFi quality reliably!

-Collin-

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #836 of 1,050
Well, I'm slightly relieved to hear this, but very sorry for you to have to experience it. I chatted with Gavin about this and we think it has something to do with the FCC deciding this can't be sold in the US. If it interferes at all with the cellular reception, which clearly it may, I think the FCC would have reason to not allow it here. I'm not really sure what's going on, but I've been at this for months and no success. I have narrowed it down only 4G. 

If you can, try turning your phone from [COLOR=262626]GSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto to GSM/WCDMA Auto. This will force it into 3G instead of 4G and it works for me every time. I'm seriously at the end of my ropes, because 3G cannot stream Tidal HiFi quality reliably![/COLOR]

[COLOR=262626]-Collin-[/COLOR]

I think you guys are onto something with your FCC theory. Fortunately for me, I usually save Tidal HiFi music for offline listening using my home Wi-Fi connection, but I'm sure I will want to hear something I don't have saved sooner or later when I'm out & about. When that time comes, I will use your forced 3G method & change the streaming quality, so thanks again for the tip!

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #837 of 1,050
I think you guys are onto something with your FCC theory. Fortunately for me, I usually save Tidal HiFi music for offline listening using my home Wi-Fi connection, but I'm sure I will want to hear something I don't have saved sooner or later when I'm out & about. When that time comes, I will use your forced 3G method & change the streaming quality, so thanks again for the tip!

I think I'm going to return the DAC before my 30 days is up. The offline Tidal playlist works for me ONLY in airplane mode. Even if I'm playing downloaded content while out and about on 4G, I get the DAC disconnection. I just don't want to play this game anymore. With the kind of money I shelled out, it's really frustrating. But then again, I guess I can't complain too much since LG decided this combo was never to be released in the US. We'll see, I'll decide this weekend. I'm getting drawn back to an all-in-one solution like the HTC 10 or the ZTE Axon 7, even though the G5 + DAC likely surpasses both in SQ. Keep me posted if you find anything else out on your set up :)

-Collin-

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #838 of 1,050
I think I'm going to return the DAC before my 30 days is up. The offline Tidal playlist works for me ONLY in airplane mode. Even if I'm playing downloaded content while out and about on 4G, I get the DAC disconnection. I just don't want to play this game anymore. With the kind of money I shelled out, it's really frustrating. But then again, I guess I can't complain too much since LG decided this combo was never to be released in the US. We'll see, I'll decide this weekend. I'm getting drawn back to an all-in-one solution like the HTC 10 or the ZTE Axon 7, even though the G5 + DAC likely surpasses both in SQ. Keep me posted if you find anything else out on your set up :)

-Collin-

I completely understand if you return the Hi-Fi Plus because this issue is very frustrating. It still blows my mind how this potentially excellent product is hampered by so many drawbacks. It + the G5 is literally the solution I've been looking for, if only it would work properly. Despite my complaints, I'm going to stick with the combo as the erratic disconnects will only affect me on car rides. I think I would get rid of it too if I was experiencing the problem out in public. Plus, I simply love the phone & the Hi-Fi Plus has (as we discussed previously) a much better-sounding speaker, which is perfect for my workspace. I hope your next phone will provide a better experience. Have you tried the V10?

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #839 of 1,050
As a UK user the only issue I have is the volume bug, when using apps such as Onkyo HF or similar the volume shoots up to max when you are lowering it to 35.  This is solved using Hiby music.

I so far have had no disconnects i almost 2 months of daily use.

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #840 of 1,050
As a UK user the only issue I have is the volume bug, when using apps such as Onkyo HF or similar the volume shoots up to max when you are lowering it to 35.  This is solved using Hiby music.

I so far have had no disconnects i almost 2 months of daily use.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any disconnects, McCol. I'm in the US, so the issue may be related to what Collin mentioned previously. I really like the added functionality provided by Hiby Music as well as the app design - very clean & focused. I'm glad it was mentioned in this thread or I likely would have never learned of its existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back