LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Jun 25, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #813 of 1,050
  i think is around 68 ohm to activate it?

I have the P1's too and it stays in normal mode. But it still gets loud enough for me even while at the gym. It does go into high mode when i plug my hd600 in.

Thanks guys. Was hoping for high-gain mode. Oh well. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #815 of 1,050
Yeah it is a shame. Hopefully they can update it the software so you manually toggle the gain. Out of curiousity what music player app do you use?

I use Tidal exclusively. I find the Pinnacle P1 require me to turn up the module to 65 out of 75. Pretty high.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #816 of 1,050
I half join the club, having the hi-fi module to go with my S7E...

Certain elements of it are very poor when compared to the Dragonfly Red (volume control, and that quirly high impedance mode, which I've gotten around with a headphone extension cable) - but, initial impressions of the sound it produces are very good...

It also supports far more sample rates than the DFR, which is definitely a feather in its cap.

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #817 of 1,050
Halfway welcome to the club!!! It is a great little DAC and it's really convenient. It really impressed me, and I'm typing this post with my HTC 10, lol. I wanna love the HTC as it's really better in every other way and only slightly inferior (to me, guys, to me) than the LG B&O DAC. But as I'm all about sound, th G5 plus hi-fi module takes the cake!

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #819 of 1,050
Hi everybody! I just got my G5 & Hi-Fi Plus up & running. As mentioned by many, the Plus' auto gain function is definitely frustrating since none of my headphones have a high impedance. Luckily (& thanks to SeeSax's cable attachment suggestion), I remembered I had a Belkin Rockstar I had forgotten about & I must say that it has done the trick. Before I plugged it in, I was maxing out the volume with absolutely zero benefit to sound quality, but with the Rockstar added, the gain kicks in & everything sounds awesome. By the way, the trick is to plug the headphones into the attachment & then plug the combo into the Hi-Fi Plus. It's not an ideal solution to have to carry an extra attachment, but I don't mind since I can wrap my headphone cords around it.

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #820 of 1,050
Thanks HonkyTonk :)

My inelegant solution is to plug in an extension cable to wake up the unit, then plug my IEMs into that...

Does the trick also :)

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #821 of 1,050
Thanks HonkyTonk :)

My inelegant solution is to plug in an extension cable to wake up the unit, then plug my IEMs into that...

Does the trick also :)

Duncan, do you have any idea how many gain levels are built in & if there is a suggested impedance range? I think I've triggered two gain levels so far, one with your method of plugging the attachment into the Hi-Fi Plus & then plugging my headphones into it, & the second higher level when my attachment & headphones are already combined & plugged into the Hi-Fi Plus together. My headphone impedance is 32 Ohms so I'm thankful that you all discovered this trick.

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #822 of 1,050
Afraid I don't conclusively, but - judging from this post, there are three, low, high, and aux (guess I'm putting it into aux mode by not having anything connected to the extension cable!)

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #824 of 1,050
Have either of you heard of the app HibyMusic? If not i think its worth checking out for those who use the Hifi plus dac. Reason being is when your headphones are plugged in, open the app and it asks if you would like use the dac as an external device. This way the app by passes the Hifi plus impedance gain system and gives you the full power of the amp just like when its connected to a PC via usb (high gain regardless of headphone impedance). 

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #825 of 1,050
Unfortunately, in my experience, there is still a vast difference when using UAPP between plugging in directly, or plugging in an extension cable first, then the regular cable.

May well work for others though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back