LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Jun 19, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #796 of 1,050
Thanks for confirming that the 3 pole should work fine.  I'm waiting for a response back from LG this week about the module and will most likely end up getting it replaced.  I got a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter so I could try another set of headphones that I know work perfectly (Denon D7000) with the dac.  Completely fine.  The connection is still a bit iffy but pleasantly surprised at how well the HiFi module drives them.

If it keeps acting up I'll get it replaced, but at least I've confirmed that it can work for me.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #797 of 1,050
  So, ive had the phone and module for around a week now and quite like the phone. Not used the module much as was waiting for the cover to arrive. Just wanted to find out what is the music player of choice for android? Be interesting to see how the module sounds compared to my ZX1. So far it is head with its lack of background noise/hiss. One thing i have noticed is that the module has a high gain when used as a usb DAC. Drives the HD600's to pretty loud levels. And it is a definite step up over the G5's headphone out. 

A lot of people use PowerAmp, but I used a trial of it and found it didn't sound really bad.  Switched to VLC and everything sounded much better.  I've just downloaded Foobar2000, which is my standard on the PC and they've now released an Android app. So I expect that to be my standard from now on.

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #798 of 1,050
My V10 has stopped working, so I'm thinking of getting the G5 with the hi-fi plus module.  I've read some people saying the module won't work with the US version of the G5.  Is this true?  And, if so, is there any way to work around it?  E.g., could I get an international version of the phone and use it in the US (with AT&T)?

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #799 of 1,050
  My V10 has stopped working, so I'm thinking of getting the G5 with the hi-fi plus module.  I've read some people saying the module won't work with the US version of the G5.  Is this true?  And, if so, is there any way to work around it?  E.g., could I get an international version of the phone and use it in the US (with AT&T)?

The HiFi Plus module will work on any smartphone/PC with iOS/Android/Windows operating system as a standalone DAC/Amp connected thru USB. And that includes the US Version LG G5. However, the module part will only work for specific G5 models.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #800 of 1,050
  The HiFi Plus module will work on any smartphone/PC with iOS/Android/Windows operating system as a standalone DAC/Amp connected thru USB. And that includes the US Version LG G5. However, the module part will only work for specific G5 models.

Can you tell me which models, so I can be sure not to get the wrong kind (I apologize is this question has already been answered!)

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #802 of 1,050
If you connect it thru USB, it will work on a G5 US Model. But if you connect it as a module, it won't.

Here's what's written on the box :

That is total BS.LG markets this phone as being able to use the phone with all modules.And this is how we find out the truth.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #804 of 1,050
They never officially announce or market the hifi module in the us ?

I saw the international internet unveiling.
All these phone manufacturers are playing games with consumers.Apple are the worst offenders IMO.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #806 of 1,050
I suggest going to eBay and buying the H860 model for something like $439 unlocked. It's cheaper than from the US carriers and you can use PayPal credit or something if you were going to finance through the carriers. It has no carrier bloatware, it should receive updates faster and it works on AT&T and T-Mobile in the United States. If you're on Sprint or Verizon, you're not going to find any of them that work with the module unfortunately. The H850 does, the H860 does and the H860N does. The other variants won't. 

Feel free to PM me if you need more details. I've bought a few of these now :)

-Collin-

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #808 of 1,050
  I suggest going to eBay and buying the H860 model for something like $439 unlocked. It's cheaper than from the US carriers and you can use PayPal credit or something if you were going to finance through the carriers. It has no carrier bloatware, it should receive updates faster and it works on AT&T and T-Mobile in the United States. If you're on Sprint or Verizon, you're not going to find any of them that work with the module unfortunately. The H850 does, the H860 does and the H860N does. The other variants won't. 

-Collin-

-Collin-

SeeSax is absolutely right. H850, H860, and H860N are the models you can use. It's easy to find them in UK, EU and Asia.

Thanks guys!!

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #809 of 1,050
Yes the H850 or H860 would be the ones to get. Keep in mind that the H850 will likely come with a European charger so you'd have to find the correct one separately. Don't know how hard that would be to find. I'm guessing you would need the special one to retain the quick charging function? The H860 also runs the module just fine and mine came with a regular US compatible charger.

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #810 of 1,050
Hey guys, quick question. In theory, this DAC will kick into "high gain" mode when you plug in a pair of headphones over 50 ohms. Well unluckily for me, the Pinnacle P1s I just got are listed as 50 ohms exactly. They don't trigger the high gain! The amp in its "normal" mode is not powerful enough for them, I have to crank it all the way up. When I do the aux cable trick, it works a little better.

But what the heck? My DT990 250 ohm kick it into high gain, but these 50 ohm P1s don't. Is it possible they're like 49.9 ohm from the factory or something? Am I out of luck? :frowning2:

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back