LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
May 26, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #751 of 1,050
Nope it won't degrade the sq....in fact it sounds much better as a standalone dac through a headamp(no physical vol on the b&o dac).Do note though you need the driver for windows which can be found in lg korean site(I've forgotten the link though) and the jack needs to be connected for the dac to be recognised.
If your using linux or mac no drivers needed but I have not tested it with a mac since i don't own one and no iphone 6 either.

I heard the HIFI module cripples when it is not ran on OTG mode and thus should not sound great when paired with PC.

If interested: https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_device&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=62

May 26, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #753 of 1,050

I heard the HIFI module cripples when it is not ran on OTG mode and thus should not sound great when paired with PC.

If interested: https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_device&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=62

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the HIFI module cripples when it is not ran on OTG mode".
OTG mode only applies to devices which can act as a host and/or a client depending on what is connected to it which the HIFI module isn't.The HIFI module is always a slave(client) like say a keyboard or memory card.
The link to the measurement just shows that different sources(host) to a DAC measures differently and in the case above,
it just shows that he has a noisy PC
wink_face.gif
. It does'nt mean that the module is noisy.
If the same measurement is done with any other DAC let say the audioquest dragonfly DAC with the LG G5 and PC as source(host) you would most likely see the same trend.
That's to say that the PC as a source is much more prone to noise issues especially when connecting a DAC directly to the USB port.
I recommend using a USB filter to connect whatever DAC your using between the PC USB port.
I'm using the Elfidelity USB power filter if you are interested(No affiliation with it).
http://www.amazon.com/Nobsound%C2%AE-Elfidelity-USB-powered-revolution-USB-audio/dp/B00WWPG1CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464271861&sr=8-1&keywords=Elfidelity+USB

Below is the measurement of 5 volt noise from my PC usb without the USB filter.

With the Elfidelity USB Filter.

So I still stand in saying that the hifi module does sound good when using it with a PC as a standalone DAC. Not as good as my desktop DAC but pretty damn close
L3000.gif

On another note, those that is using the HIFI module/Camplus and is always removing the module to change batteries or for some other reason and like to use a case, there's this DUO case by VOIA which can be bought from Gmarket global(yes they ship worldwide). Search for Voia G5.

May 28, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #755 of 1,050

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the HIFI module cripples when it is not ran on OTG mode".
OTG mode only applies to devices which can act as a host and/or a client depending on what is connected to it which the HIFI module isn't.The HIFI module is always a slave(client) like say a keyboard or memory card.
The link to the measurement just shows that different sources(host) to a DAC measures differently and in the case above,
it just shows that he has a noisy PC
wink_face.gif
. It does'nt mean that the module is noisy.
If the same measurement is done with any other DAC let say the audioquest dragonfly DAC with the LG G5 and PC as source(host) you would most likely see the same trend.
That's to say that the PC as a source is much more prone to noise issues especially when connecting a DAC directly to the USB port.
I recommend using a USB filter to connect whatever DAC your using between the PC USB port.
I'm using the Elfidelity USB power filter if you are interested(No affiliation with it).
http://www.amazon.com/Nobsound%C2%AE-Elfidelity-USB-powered-revolution-USB-audio/dp/B00WWPG1CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464271861&sr=8-1&keywords=Elfidelity+USB

Below is the measurement of 5 volt noise from my PC usb without the USB filter.

With the Elfidelity USB Filter.

So I still stand in saying that the hifi module does sound good when using it with a PC as a standalone DAC. Not as good as my desktop DAC but pretty damn close
L3000.gif

On another note, those that is using the HIFI module/Camplus and is always removing the module to change batteries or for some other reason and like to use a case, there's this DUO case by VOIA which can be bought from Gmarket global(yes they ship worldwide). Search for Voia G5.

Color and clear play cat version, I have them.

May 28, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #756 of 1,050
Today I got to test my G5 with hifi plus and Sennheiser HD650.
It went on hi gain mode when I connected it.

Awesome detailed music with strong bass and warm tones. Really enjoyable. However I prefer the feeling of my IEMS with balanced armatures give that the music is in your head and not outside!:)

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #757 of 1,050
I just received my H860 and hifi plus module. I also have the HTC m10 and wanted to compare the sound. The LG seems way more detailed to me with more forward mids. The bass is also very strong when listening with my se846s. I think the HTC may be slightly more musical but overall easily prefer the sound of the G5 with the hifi module. I'm gonna go as far as to say that sound competes very closely with my DP-X1 which I listened to balanced (don't believe the sound really changes balanced vs single ended but whatever) using moon audio silver dragon cable (again whatever). I actually think that there is more detail and separation with the LG but has a less musical tone overall. I'm no audiophile though, just like to listen to good audio in the most convenient way possible. Thanks for listening.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #758 of 1,050
I just received my H860 and hifi plus module. I also have the HTC m10 and wanted to compare the sound. The LG seems way more detailed to me with more forward mids. The bass is also very strong when listening with my se846s. I think the HTC may be slightly more musical but overall easily prefer the sound of the G5 with the hifi module. I'm gonna go as far as to say that sound competes very closely with my DP-X1 which I listened to balanced (don't believe the sound really changes balanced vs single ended but whatever) using moon audio silver dragon cable (again whatever). I actually think that there is more detail and separation with the LG but has a less musical tone overall. I'm no audiophile though, just like to listen to good audio in the most convenient way possible. Thanks for listening.

Is it worth buying the hifi dac(it's around 298sgd)? Any full reviews?

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #759 of 1,050

I had both as well, though my HiFi module had issues. Which mode do you use your HTC 10 on? Boom sound? If so, what earphone preset? I've been fiddling with those and still think the 10 sounds brilliant. Thanks for your thoughts!

-Collin-

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #760 of 1,050
The in ear preset is what I used. Don't really know what the presets are for. Seems to adjust the volume more than anything else. I haven't done any complete reviews, I suck at them to tell you the truth. But I do prefer the LG. Is it worth it over the stock DAC? Absolutely and for sure. I paid $199 USD on Amazon and received it a full week before I received the phone, lol. That was sure torture.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #762 of 1,050
I may have overlooked the answer, but is the Hi-Fi Plus speaker better than the regular G5 speaker?

I hardly ever use it but it sure seems to be. I mean it still sounds pretty bad, but for a phone speaker it is very good.

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #765 of 1,050
I may have overlooked the answer, but is the Hi-Fi Plus speaker better than the regular G5 speaker?

Lol, I have been looking for an answer to this question somewhere and found one snippet in a review (forgot where) that ambiguously mentioned it might be. I just trust my ears though. I don't know if it's any louder or clearer but there is definitely a better low end. For a phone I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back