LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
May 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #721 of 1,050
So with UAPP installed, module attached... Then the next step is to plug the headphones into the DAC module... Did any message pop up saying use UAPP ...

Okay, I see what you mean now. It pops up asking to use UAPP and I say yes, it plays music for about one second and then stops and the Hi-Fi icon disappears. It comes back after about five seconds, I agree to let it use UAPP and it plays for another second or two and this process repeats over and over. Exactly the same as playback with Tidal. I wonder if it's the phone? Something perhaps is not making a good connection. Damn.

:frowning2:

May 15, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #722 of 1,050
Okay, I see what you mean now. It pops up asking to use UAPP and I say yes, it plays music for about one second and then stops and the Hi-Fi icon disappears. It comes back after about five seconds, I agree to let it use UAPP and it plays for another second or two and this process repeats over and over. Exactly the same as playback with Tidal. I wonder if it's the phone? Something perhaps is not making a good connection. Damn.

:frowning2:

That's why I was asking. If you take the HiFi DAC off, and but the normal bottom on, then try and connect the HiFi DAC in standalone mode with a cable, does it work when plugging the headphones in?

What you need to see if whether the USB port on the G5 is at fault. Have you anything else to test it with?

Another thought. When the HiFi DAC is connected, try pushing it in tighter, even though you think its connected properly. All I am trying to do is a process of elimination. Something is faulty, probably the HiFi module but it could be the G5, so its worth being 100% sure.

May 15, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #723 of 1,050
That's why I was asking. If you take the HiFi DAC off, and but the normal bottom on, then try and connect the HiFi DAC in standalone mode with a cable, does it work when plugging the headphones in?

What you need to see if whether the USB port on the G5 is at fault. Have you anything else to test it with?

Another thought. When the HiFi DAC is connected, try pushing it in tighter, even though you think its connected properly. All I am trying to do is a process of elimination. Something is faulty, probably the HiFi module but it could be the G5, so its worth being 100% sure.

I cannot get it to be detected by the G5, HTC 10 or my computer at all via USB cable. I tried pressing it in more firmly in the G5 and it does no good. I guess I will start by returning the module for a replacement. I sure hope the G5 isn't faulty.

You've been a huge help Gavin! Greatly appreciated. Life is not over as I still have the 10 and a 6s to listen on :) but darn you LG!

-Collin-

May 15, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #724 of 1,050
I cannot get it to be detected by the G5, HTC 10 or my computer at all via USB cable. I tried pressing it in more firmly in the G5 and it does no good. I guess I will start by returning the module for a replacement. I sure hope the G5 isn't faulty.

You've been a huge help Gavin! Greatly appreciated. Life is not over as I still have the 10 and a 6s to listen on :) but darn you LG!

-Collin-

Sounds like its the module. The 10 will keep you busy :)

May 15, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #725 of 1,050
The HiFi DAC module is better than the HTC 10 in my testing but the differences are so marginal not many would realise.

The HiFi module can go significantly louder meaning more headphones can be driven. It has less distortion and hiss. It can be used standalone.

That aside I do like the audio from the HTC 10 alot.

Hey mind comparing S7 with the hifi plus module please? Also do you have exynos version?

EDIT: Would love S7 vs S7 with hifi module comparison too please if possible!

May 15, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #727 of 1,050
I have already. Go to my blog Gavin's Gadgets. Menu reviews audio LG HiFi DAC or use top right search. S7 included with photo in review.

S7 standalone audio is good quality just low output volume so need very efficient headphones. DAC makes massive difference.

This whole faulty module thing has me thinking in other directions. As a phone, I liked the S7 more than the G5. I wonder how the S7 + Dragonfly would be against LG G5 + HiFi Plus module. They are roughly the same price depending on where you live. This would be a fun comparison, maybe I will embark down that road if I can get the module replaced with a non-defective one. 

-Collin-

May 15, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #728 of 1,050
I will have my dragonfly red review up on blog on Wednesday. I just need some more time but it will be testing with the S7.

It's not a perfect solution from my current tests as you can only use it with UAPP.

May 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #731 of 1,050
I will have my dragonfly red review up on blog on Wednesday. I just need some more time but it will be testing with the S7.

It's not a perfect solution from my current tests as you can only use it with UAPP.

Does this mean it wouldn't work with something like Tidal? Sorry if I didn't understand correctly. Both my DAC/headphone amps worked on my S7 just fine and didn't require UAPP. 

-Collin-

May 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #732 of 1,050
Does this mean it wouldn't work with something like Tidal? Sorry if I didn't understand correctly. Both my DAC/headphone amps worked on my S7 just fine and didn't require UAPP. 

-Collin-

It works, just the volume output is not loud enough as the S7 isn't connecting to the direct drive volume control of Dragonfly Red. Solution is to use an amp from the dragonfly.

UAPP works correctly with the volume.

May 16, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #733 of 1,050
Well, as I got my RMA printed out I decided to try the DAC one more time and this time I cleaned off the contacts a bit. Been listening for 30 minutes and no cutting in and out, no issues. What in the heck? I didn't see anything on the contacts other than a tiny piece of fur, perhaps from carpet or lint or something, VERY tiny. I sincerely doubt that could have been the issue, but it seems to be working now! I'm listening through my VE Zen earphones that are something like 320 ohms and they sound GREAT! I haven't encountered a phone that could drive these properly. I wonder if the issue is fixed? Very strange. 

To anyone that has this module: is there any indication that it is in high-gain mode? I have seen no notification or anything like on the V10. I would love to know this. Gavin? 

-Collin-

May 17, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #734 of 1,050
  Well, as I got my RMA printed out I decided to try the DAC one more time and this time I cleaned off the contacts a bit. Been listening for 30 minutes and no cutting in and out, no issues. What in the heck? I didn't see anything on the contacts other than a tiny piece of fur, perhaps from carpet or lint or something, VERY tiny. I sincerely doubt that could have been the issue, but it seems to be working now! I'm listening through my VE Zen earphones that are something like 320 ohms and they sound GREAT! I haven't encountered a phone that could drive these properly. I wonder if the issue is fixed? Very strange. 

To anyone that has this module: is there any indication that it is in high-gain mode? I have seen no notification or anything like on the V10. I would love to know this. Gavin? 

-Collin-

Hi Collin,

If you connect a normal headphones in the Settings> sound &notification click on 32 bit Hi fi DAC settings. On top of the opened form it will read "Normal audio device"
If you have a high gain device then it will say "An external audio device is connected"

It is quite annoying! My earphones triple-fi 10 are considered normal, but if I trick the device by attaching the cable without the earpieces attached then it goes to high gain mode and the quality is so much better. It has more punch and authority and it goes louder.But I can't keep doing that, I will end up ripping off the connector sockets of my IEMS!

I am going to write a complaint email to one friend of mine whose wife is in the LG mobile R&D. There should be a manual switch on/off option.

May 17, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #735 of 1,050
I've had a few days to listen to the HiFi plus module and it seems that the first one i had was faulty i some way.

The new one sounds totally different with more power to drive my different head/earphones.  Build quality still leaves a little to be desired but is acceptable and doesn't flex as much as the first one I bought.

Sound wise it doessn't quite much the qualities or power of both the Onkyo DP-X1 Dap or the Chord Mojo, however my listenng habits have changed the last year or so and waht it does do for me is provide an excellent all in one portable soloution.  So much so that I've sold my Mojo and DP-X1.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back