LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
May 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #736 of 1,050
  Hi Collin,

If you connect a normal headphones in the Settings> sound &notification click on 32 bit Hi fi DAC settings. On top of the opened form it will read "Normal audio device"
If you have a high gain device then it will say "An external audio device is connected"

It is quite annoying! My earphones triple-fi 10 are considered normal, but if I trick the device by attaching the cable without the earpieces attached then it goes to high gain mode and the quality is so much better. It has more punch and authority and it goes louder.But I can't keep doing that, I will end up ripping off the connector sockets of my IEMS!

I am going to write a complaint email to one friend of mine whose wife is in the LG mobile R&D. There should be a manual switch on/off option.

If it's like the V10, then "external audio device" is actually medium gain, and it will say "high impedance device" for high gain

If you don't want to keep detaching your earpiece, a short headphone jack extender will also do the job

May 17, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #737 of 1,050
  Hi Collin,

If you connect a normal headphones in the Settings> sound &notification click on 32 bit Hi fi DAC settings. On top of the opened form it will read "Normal audio device"
If you have a high gain device then it will say "An external audio device is connected"

It is quite annoying! My earphones triple-fi 10 are considered normal, but if I trick the device by attaching the cable without the earpieces attached then it goes to high gain mode and the quality is so much better. It has more punch and authority and it goes louder.But I can't keep doing that, I will end up ripping off the connector sockets of my IEMS!

I am going to write a complaint email to one friend of mine whose wife is in the LG mobile R&D. There should be a manual switch on/off option.

Thanks, this is very helpful information. Unfortunately I did have to send my DAC module back yesterday for replacement as it still was cutting in and out, despite being somewhat better. Once I get the replacement (a very slow process from Clove), I'll see which of my headphones trigger this mode. I wish LG could just keep things simple, or at the very least give us a toggle like you mentioned. I'm beginning to realize that the have to add bloatware and unnecessary software to everything they do, it's in their DNA :)

-Collin-

May 17, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #739 of 1,050
  Wow, so you're saying if one wants both quality and mobility, it is the HiFi module over another DAC?

In a way yes I am saying that.  Not saying it is better sonically than either of those, in fact it isn't better.  In some repects it doesn't come close however for my use I was struggling to justify ownng different devices for what is limited use.  The Hifi module drives my selection of ear/headphones with ease and it sounds very good.  Gives me all the android benefits that the DP-X1 had but with faster CPU, better screen etc etc.  

May 17, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #740 of 1,050
In a way yes I am saying that.  Not saying it is better sonically than either of those, in fact it isn't better.  In some repects it doesn't come close however for my use I was struggling to justify ownng different devices for what is limited use.  The Hifi module drives my selection of ear/headphones with ease and it sounds very good.  Gives me all the android benefits that the DP-X1 had but with faster CPU, better screen etc etc.  

I am in the same boat, it's an excellent compromise. In fact perfect for me :wink:

May 18, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #741 of 1,050
Guys I 've just upgraded my Power amp to the v3 alpha 703 version (I have v2 normal version before) and the change is unbelievable! Soundstage is significantly bigger and sound much louder. It also has like a gazillion new settings I ll need to play a lot with this!

So far I only have one complaint with the DAC: It is very power hungry. If I am on one of those 24 hour travelling business trips I will probably need 3 batteries, or a big power bank...

May 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #742 of 1,050
Reading through this thread and other forums, many people are say they have problems with the hifi dac not working properly, is there any specific way to test it.

I have noticed on mine that when switch the IEM (Sony XBA 300) in the socket from the phone and through the Hifi Plus, the hifi plus does sound slightly louder, and it does seem like the SQ has slighly more punch in the music through te Hifi plus, not sure if it's my ears are playing tricks with me through the socket switching. 

May 19, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #744 of 1,050
  Reading through this thread and other forums, many people are say they have problems with the hifi dac not working properly, is there any specific way to test it.

I have noticed on mine that when switch the IEM (Sony XBA 300) in the socket from the phone and through the Hifi Plus, the hifi plus does sound slightly louder, and it does seem like the SQ has slighly more punch in the music through te Hifi plus, not sure if it's my ears are playing tricks with me through the socket switching. 

From my experience with the V10, I would expect the differences to be fairly subtle with low-impedance IEMs, it's when you get into higher impedance headphones that changes become really significant because of the higher output. Some people do prefer to use a higher gain mode with even IEMs. If you haven't tried that, you can trick it into higher gain by detaching one of your ear pieces before connecting the cable to the module

May 22, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #745 of 1,050
Does the case protector fit on the phone with the hifi module?

May 22, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #746 of 1,050

No it doesn't.

I ordere a new gel like case from Korea, only took a week from Korea to UK.  It is licensed by LG to fit with the HiFi module and it does, perfect fit.  Couldn't find one anywhere else except from Korea.  Here's the ebay link  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222091743145?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

May 22, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #747 of 1,050

There are only three cases available that support the hifi modular, all are made from the same company and are available in korea only, I only have the jelly case ATM, but have the other two shipped, should have them in the next few days.

One being a jelly case, the other two have removable base to use the normal modular and the hifi modular.

May 22, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #748 of 1,050
Thanks guys.How bad is battery life with the hifi module?

May 22, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #749 of 1,050
Hi, I see this hifi module can be used with other devices other than the lg g5. Can someone tell me whether the sound quality will degrade when it is connected to a windows pc, or is it not even possible? Also a comparison to the iphone 6s would be appreciated, if someone has both.

May 24, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #750 of 1,050
Hi, I see this hifi module can be used with other devices other than the lg g5. Can someone tell me whether the sound quality will degrade when it is connected to a windows pc, or is it not even possible? Also a comparison to the iphone 6s would be appreciated, if someone has both.

Nope it won't degrade the sq....in fact it sounds much better as a standalone dac through a headamp(no physical vol on the b&o dac).Do note though you need the driver for windows which can be found in lg korean site(I've forgotten the link though) and the jack needs to be connected for the dac to be recognised.
If your using linux or mac no drivers needed but I have not tested it with a mac since i don't own one and no iphone 6 either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back