LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
May 12, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #706 of 1,050

While I would love to believe this, I am not sure. Installing the Sammobile hardware app shows the sound chip as the Snapdragon part number. I would love to find out where Android Central got that information. No complaints on the sound whatsoever, but I have my doubts until there is a proper teardown that looks at the chips. 

-Collin-

Hi!

I got that information directly from HTC's Senior Global Online Communications Manager. 

I couldn't get any more detail on make or part number, but per our conversation I get the feeling that this is an internal HTC product and not something available as a component. Note that this wasn't said directly, just the impression I get based on hearing people talk to me in cryptic ways about products they can't talk about :)

In any case, it sounds much better than I anticipated, because like many I assumed it was using the Snapdragon 820 hardware. I've used several phones from Korean and Chinese manufacturers using the 820 to process 24 bit audio, and have not been impressed. It's my opinion that the 820 DSP/DAC is a downgrade from the 808.

May 13, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #707 of 1,050
It would be interesting to see some comparisons between HTC 10 Boomsound and LG G5 HiFi Plus!

I also considered HTC 10 while deciding what phone to get but I chose LG because of the slightly bigger screen and the much better Camera. 

Selfie camera is supposed to be better on the HTC but I don't like selfies :)

May 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #708 of 1,050
  Hi!

I got that information directly from HTC's Senior Global Online Communications Manager. 

I couldn't get any more detail on make or part number, but per our conversation I get the feeling that this is an internal HTC product and not something available as a component. Note that this wasn't said directly, just the impression I get based on hearing people talk to me in cryptic ways about products they can't talk about :)

In any case, it sounds much better than I anticipated, because like many I assumed it was using the Snapdragon 820 hardware. I've used several phones from Korean and Chinese manufacturers using the 820 to process 24 bit audio, and have not been impressed. It's my opinion that the 820 DSP/DAC is a downgrade from the 808.

They should be making this loud and clear to avoid confusion and really sell their dedication to audio, but I guess it might be considered a trade secret. Glad you could wrangle some info out of them though

May 13, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #709 of 1,050
  Hi!

Thanks for this info! Here's what confuses me: Qualcomm have the best SOC in the business (well, arguably) and it is a complete solution with the best LTE modem, probably the best processor and yet, time and time again, the sound chip is garbage. I understand the need to keep costs down, but sheesh, these chips are all less than 10 dollars. I'm not an engineer, nor do I know anything about supply chains or bill of materials, but they could easily knock it out of the park by just putting in something halfway decent. Okay, rant over. 

It would be interesting to see some comparisons between HTC 10 Boomsound and LG G5 HiFi Plus!

I also considered HTC 10 while deciding what phone to get but I chose LG because of the slightly bigger screen and the much better Camera. 

Selfie camera is supposed to be better on the HTC but I don't like selfies :)

I now have the G5 and HiFi Plus module, as well as the HTC 10 in my hands. I'll work more on a comparison, but I've hit sort of a road block. Is this DAC playing the same game that V10 was? I mean, when I plug in my IEMs (I don't have any over 50 ohms), the volume is very quiet. In fact, it's no louder than the phone by itself. The HTC 10 is WAY louder on the two sets of IEMs I've tried (MDR-EX1000 and DN-2000J). 

Can someone here confirm that this is not that same ridiculous game where the amp doesn't really kick into full gear until a pair of earphones over 50 ohms are plugged in? This is really going to upset me. As it stands now, this thing almost sounds borderline defective :frowning2:

-Collin-

May 13, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #710 of 1,050
Okay, I found a pair of DT990 250 ohm headphones to test and see if the amp kicked into high gear like it did on the V10 and nope, didn't seem to make a difference. Ugh. Volume cranked and it is what I would consider comfortable listening volume, perhaps a bit on the loud side. 65 or 70 is probably perfect. Can anyone share their volume experience? Perhaps this is a Tidal issue?

-Collin- 

May 13, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #711 of 1,050

Thanks for this info! Here's what confuses me: Qualcomm have the best SOC in the business (well, arguably) and it is a complete solution with the best LTE modem, probably the best processor and yet, time and time again, the sound chip is garbage. I understand the need to keep costs down, but sheesh, these chips are all less than 10 dollars. I'm not an engineer, nor do I know anything about supply chains or bill of materials, but they could easily knock it out of the park by just putting in something halfway decent. Okay, rant over. 

I now have the G5 and HiFi Plus module, as well as the HTC 10 in my hands. I'll work more on a comparison, but I've hit sort of a road block. Is this DAC playing the same game that V10 was? I mean, when I plug in my IEMs (I don't have any over 50 ohms), the volume is very quiet. In fact, it's no louder than the phone by itself. The HTC 10 is WAY louder on the two sets of IEMs I've tried (MDR-EX1000 and DN-2000J). 

Can someone here confirm that this is not that same ridiculous game where the amp doesn't really kick into full gear until a pair of earphones over 50 ohms are plugged in? This is really going to upset me. As it stands now, this thing almost sounds borderline defective :frowning2:

-Collin-

Qualcomm puts more emphasis on the video decoder than audio. Smartphone audio is where cameras were 3 years ago — some are taking time to get it good. Expect better hardware every year.

As for G5, I tested the B&O module with a pair of 63 ohm Sony MDR 7506s, a set of HD 700s, 32 Ohm DT 880s, and 400 Ohm DT 100s. I was dropped into Hi-gain mode with every pair, even though that's not supposed to kick in until you hit 50 ohms. The Sony's sounded the best, but everything but the DT100s was acceptable and driven correctly (in my opinion.)

But — and this is a big but — the phone I was using was a pre-release model direct from LG that didn't have final shipping software installed. I've not been able to get an unlocked model that works with the B&O module since, and the US version is locked out until the FCC approves things.

May 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #712 of 1,050

Qualcomm puts more emphasis on the video decoder than audio. Smartphone audio is where cameras were 3 years ago — some are taking time to get it good. Expect better hardware every year.

As for G5, I tested the B&O module with a pair of 63 ohm Sony MDR 7506s, a set of HD 700s, 32 Ohm DT 880s, and 400 Ohm DT 100s. I was dropped into Hi-gain mode with every pair, even though that's not supposed to kick in until you hit 50 ohms. The Sony's sounded the best, but everything but the DT100s was acceptable and driven correctly (in my opinion.)

But — and this is a big but — the phone I was using was a pre-release model direct from LG that didn't have final shipping software installed. I've not been able to get an unlocked model that works with the B&O module since, and the US version is locked out until the FCC approves things.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I'm the US too and I specifically bought the H850 from Clove, along with the Hi-Fi module for that reason. Good ole FCC :)

The DT990 did not kick into high-gain mode. Hmmmm. 

-Collin-

May 13, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #713 of 1,050
Ok, I am mid way into my tests with the HTC 10 and LG G5 with HiFi Module. This is not as simple as I expected. I am also testing the bluetooth audio and loudspeakers.

The irony with the G5 is if you use headphones with the new bluetooth APTX HD codec they sound is really good. The HiFi DAC is excellent and adjusts volume on every headphone I have tried perfectly. I have also tested the DAC in standalone mode with the Samsung Galaxy S7 :)

I would stress that whilst the audio is why we are here, there is a lot more to each phone. that just the audio. Currently I have S7, iPhone 6S (this is my wife's phone but I can use it for comparisons), G5, HTC 10 and Huawei P9. Every phone is so different!

I have a few posts on the HTC 10 camera , one more will be up 2 hours from now.

May 13, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #714 of 1,050
Not a good day for me, sadly. While testing the Hi-Fi Plus module also against my HTC 10 like Gavin, my module gave out entirely and now does not work anymore. I was suspect as soon as I used it since the volume was so low on it (and it never activated the high-gain setting with higher impedance headphones) and I guess this is somewhat proof that it was defective. I am a little depressed about this because I pay a lot of money to get it quickly from the UK to take it on my week-long vacation starting on Monday. It really bums me out that it has crapped out entirely. Now when I plug in headphones, it says "preparing Hi-Fi Plus" module for a good ten seconds, then the message goes away and the sound comes through the external speaker. I unplug the headphones and try again, it tries to activate and then switches back to the loudspeaker again. If I plug the headphones into the top audio jack, everything works fine. I tried several pairs of headphones and sadly, they all act the same. It is entirely dead. 

**sigh** 

-Collin-

May 13, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #715 of 1,050
@Seesax disconnect the module. Reconnect the standard bottom. Power on. Check Google Play for an updated app, HiFi Manager as there is an update. Power off phone properly. Put HiFi module back on. Power on again. Does this work?

It may be it was trying to update the firmware when you hit an issue. Only takes seconds normally to update.

May 14, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #716 of 1,050
The HiFi DAC module is better than the HTC 10 in my testing but the differences are so marginal not many would realise.

The HiFi module can go significantly louder meaning more headphones can be driven. It has less distortion and hiss. It can be used standalone.

That aside I do like the audio from the HTC 10 alot.

May 14, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #717 of 1,050
@Seesax disconnect the module. Reconnect the standard bottom. Power on. Check Google Play for an updated app, HiFi Manager as there is an update. Power off phone properly. Put HiFi module back on. Power on again. Does this work?

It may be it was trying to update the firmware when you hit an issue. Only takes seconds normally to update.

Thanks Gavin, I tried it and I believe there was even another update this morning and no luck. I plug in the headphones and usually if it's the first time, I get 2-3 seconds of sound and then the HiFi icon goes away and the sound comes out the speakers. I unplug and replug and then the music will not play and it continues show no HiFi icon. 

Any other suggestions before I start an RMA? Thank you again for your help - really appreciate it. 

-Collin-

May 15, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #719 of 1,050
Can you elaborate? Use the DAC as a phone module or via USB cable? I'll try to find the trial version. Thank you!

Edit: With the module installed in the phone, I installed UAPP and it says there is no USB audio device connected. I plugged the DAC into it's holder to use as a standalone and then plugged it into the G5 via USB-C cable, and nothing happened. I installed it into my HTC 10 and nothing happened. I plugged it into my computer and nothing happened. I tried both sides of the USB port as well. I guess it's dead?

-Collin-

May 15, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #720 of 1,050
So with UAPP installed, module attached... Then the next step is to plug the headphones into the DAC module... Did any message pop up saying use UAPP ...

Just also worth checking if possible. Do you have any other portable DAC you can connect to the G5? Or a USB OTG adapter to check when connecting a USB stick for example, you get all the USB options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back