LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
May 11, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #676 of 1,050
  Judging by your previous comments it is definitely possible.  That or the cans you are using just don't pair well with this DAC.  Check out the measurements of the DAC on Android Authority.  It was such a night and day difference to me I worried they had added some EQ, but it turned out stock just had a lot of roll off in comparison.  I've tried probably 8 sets of on-ear and iems and everything has had a very noticeable improvement over stock.  By the way... you were using the bottom 3.5mm plug in the DAC not the top plug right?

Yes was using the bortom 3.5 connection.

I'm just curious as I do value what others say and my experience seems so far removed from others.  

May 11, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #677 of 1,050
Yes was using the bortom 3.5 connection.

I'm just curious as I do value what others say and my experience seems so far removed from others.  

I actually thought you were trolling at first because your impressions were so far off from my own. It is still possible IE800 just don't match well with this.

May 11, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #678 of 1,050
I actually thought you were trolling at first because your impressions were so far off from my own. It is still possible IE800 just don't match well with this.

Did think it was maybe the ie800 but it was the same with my other earphones hence me thinking it was maybe faulty.

May 11, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #679 of 1,050
  Judging by your previous comments it is definitely possible.  That or the cans you are using just don't pair well with this DAC.  Check out the measurements of the DAC on Android Authority.  It was such a night and day difference to me I worried they had added some EQ, but it turned out stock just had a lot of roll off in comparison.  I've tried probably 8 sets of on-ear and iems and everything has had a very noticeable improvement over stock.  By the way... you were using the bottom 3.5mm plug in the DAC not the top plug right?

How can I tell which headphones are recommended for it?

May 11, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #680 of 1,050
How can I tell which headphones are recommended for it?

Just don't use anything with too low of a sensitivity rating and you should be fine. Everything I've tried on it has sounded good but because of the way it automatically sets gain, low sensitivity can cause you to need to max out the volume. My comment was more directed toward his impressions of the module barely sounding better than stock a few pages back. Sometimes components just don't pair well you know?

May 11, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #681 of 1,050
You could quite easily just use the Tone headphones. But you can't beat over the ear wired headphones. The module just gives you more options.

I am hoping we see more aptx HD headphones soon.

Personally I don't like in ear headphones but I do like the Tone Platinum.

Gavin, in this review http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/htc-10/23571/htc-10-review he says about the HTC 10 "The audio quality here is A LOT better than what you get with the B&O DAC for the LG G5, which just didn’t get loud enough." - can you please give your opinion about this here? Could it be the HTC 10 sounds better than the G5, even with the Hi-Fi module?

May 11, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #682 of 1,050
Gavin, in this review http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/htc-10/23571/htc-10-review he says about the HTC 10 "[COLOR=222222]The audio quality here is A LOT better than what you get with the B&O DAC for the LG G5, which just didn’t get loud enough." - can you please give your opinion about this here? Could it be the HTC 10 sounds better than the G5, even with the Hi-Fi module?[/COLOR]

I will provide an answer on Friday. That will give me time to test properly and compare.

May 11, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #683 of 1,050
  Gavin, in this review http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/htc-10/23571/htc-10-review he says about the HTC 10 "The audio quality here is A LOT better than what you get with the B&O DAC for the LG G5, which just didn’t get loud enough." - can you please give your opinion about this here? Could it be the HTC 10 sounds better than the G5, even with the Hi-Fi module?

"A lot better" just because it didn't get loud enough seems too subjective without any real measurements :/ 

May 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #684 of 1,050
"A lot better" just because it didn't get loud enough seems too subjective without any real measurements :/ 
That's what I was thinking too. Also, aside from my Q701's, everything I've tried to drive has been able to go louder than I'd ever listen. I accidentally turned up a pair of 535s too high and just about made my ears ring.

May 11, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #685 of 1,050
Thanks for the impressions. My contract runs out in a couple of months and i'll probably upgrade my G3 to the G5. Just curiosu as to the quality of screen. Read mixed reviews so far about the quality with some saying it looks washed up. Thanks.

May 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #686 of 1,050
Thanks for the impressions. My contract runs out in a couple of months and i'll probably upgrade my G3 to the G5. Just curiosu as to the quality of screen. Read mixed reviews so far about the quality with some saying it looks washed up. Thanks.

It's not washed out, very natural look to the screen when playing videos. Looks a bit subdued compared to the S7 but then the S7 is exaggerated in its colours imo.

May 12, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #688 of 1,050

Coming from an S5 it looks very washed out and the reds are really weak and seem tonally off.  Of course the S5 seemed hyper saturated at first, so after having adjusted to that, it amplifies the lack of saturation on the LG.  TBH it is quite a bit more natural than the Samsung, but the reds are definitely not 100% accurate.  Also the viewing angle isn't nearly as good as the OLED, you get some slight variation at even the smallest angle, but it remains pretty consistent and viewable all the way to 90 degrees.  Some people have reported light leak around the edges.  Mine has a very, very small amount only detectable with a black screen in total darkness if you are actively looking for it.  

May 12, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #689 of 1,050
After 2 days of LG G5 (Amazon.de still no news on my HiFi DAC order grrrrr)

Over all an awesome little phone! I love it. Coming from 5 years of Samsung Note usage there are some serious features I am missing (The note functionality and the screen stay on while reading something my 2 most important ones) But I am discovering some LG "things" that I LIKE! For example you can program the remote app by learning any IR remote command you want! I could not do this with the NOTE 3. (not to mention that IR is not included in new samsung modules!)

The screen is not AMOLED but it is not bad. Colours are more natural, outdoor visibility under the HOT Cyprus sun is OK. The only thing not visible outside is the always on time display and that is when direct under the sun. If under some shade or in the car, it is fine.
I haven't played much with the camera yet but it seems exciting!

Built quality is great! I don't know what some reviewers are complaining about quality have been on to! Seriously! Design is nice and modest. I prefer it than the flashy glass of the late Samsung models. I think these reviewers either got some early pieces that had built quality issues, or are paid by Samsung...

What else, love the knock features and the fingerprint scanner is accurate and super fast! Charing time is great but I think battery life could be better. Well at least it is replaceable!

But lets go to the sound:

I have been testing comparing to my NOTE 3 (has a wolfson DAC)  using my TripleFi 10 IEMS with an aftermarket LUNA  cable from Null Audio. 
I use power amp. I tested both with my favorite settings set the at same levels on Note 3 and G5 and also with all equalizers and tone settings off. 
I tested a range of different types of music including pop, rock, classical, orchestral, instrumental, new age, trance etc. ( I love any music as long as it's ...musical :)

The 2 phones have very different sound signature. NOTE 3 sound is cleaner, more surgical while the G5 is a bit warmer and much more natural. Usually I dont like warm, but this is not too much so it is actually great. With the Note 3 I feel the sound is in a studio but with the G5 I feel I have the whole orchestra and singers in front of me live. Actually the soundstage of the G5 is noticeably bigger.
The level of detail is about the same. I can hear all the instruments and those guitar and violin scratches like in real life :) I can hear the breath in the flutes and saxophones..

Another thing, the G5 can go louder without much distortion while if I push the NOTE 3 too loud,  sound gets a bit more distorted. 

I have also played some difficult recordings (live recordings of complex orchestral and choir pieces) that my NOTE 3 was not handling very well (too much noise and clippings). The G5 was sounding better. 

So overall I think that the internal DAC of the G5 is a really good one. It is a big improvement from the horrible G4 dac and a small improvement from my beloved NOTE 3. But it does not compare to what I have heard from my friend's LG v10! So I can't wait to get the Hifi plus DAC and test!

PS Come on Amazon.de what happened? everybody else got their stocks already!

May 12, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #690 of 1,050
Warm compared to the old Wolfson? Really? I had quite an opposite impression to yours. The measurements I've seen seem to disagree as well. Either way, I think you will enjoy it much more once you get the B&O. Here is the review with measurements of the stock vs module http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g5-bang-and-olufsen-dac-review-686953/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back