LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Apr 13, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #511 of 1,050
it's good to read actual hands-on reviews of the b&o dac and would also like to see comparisons with the m10. i'm confident that the dac will ultimately be available in the us. however, i'm still opting for the m10 since (a) from a design standpoint, it seems preferable and more damage-resistant to have a seamless, integrated device rather than a modular device with a vulnerable seam around its lower end; (b) the dac will add a $200 cost; and (b) the m10 is supposed to have outstanding, two-day battery life, while the g5's is reportedly only average-ish--i assume the dac module, with a larger amp will also have a significant effect on battery

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #512 of 1,050
Lg faults, lol, why let some people who careless about a phone audio quality to review the audio quality aspect of the phone ? I don't think I would ever understand why

Cuz they don't know any better? LG's focus is more on the overall phone than the audio stuff. I only blame LG (AND B&O) if that stuff about the B&O DAC not sounding AS good through other devices as it does through the G5. It shouldn't matter. IF that's true, which I think we'll find out shortly (jklass! and Vividcard. lol) if it is, then I'll know if I should even bother with it or not. My criteria for buying and testing it out for myself is:

1) It sounds great no matter what device it's hooked up to
2) It's compatible with my S7, upcoming Xperia X Performance, etc.
3) It sounds even a LITTLE better than my Oppo HA-2 (ESS9018)  
4) There's an easy way to make it go to High Impedance mode (just don't know if I trust Aux mode to be loud enough lol)

I have a feeling it won't meet ALL 4 of these requirements, so I dunno. But we'll see. I would want all 4 of these to be evaluated by someone ON HERE though to know for sure. I'm not holding my breath though. lol

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #513 of 1,050
Guys another review. This time from Android Central. It has some numbers too comparing it to V10 (slightly worse, but they claim that interpretation was better. Also on the other note LG G5 without audio module has a real bad stats and sound.

http://www.androidcentral.com/look-lg-g5s-bo-audio-module

P.S. looks like V10 and G5 trade blows in terms of listening experience. I guess this is a bit of a disappointment to all people who have expected a clear-cut upgrade.

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #514 of 1,050
  Guys another review. This time from Android Central. It has some numbers too comparing it to V10 (slightly worse, but they claim that interpretation was better. Also on the other note LG G5 without audio module has a real bad stats and sound.

P.S. looks like V10 and G5 trade blows in terms of listening experience. I guess this is a bit of a disappointment to all people who have expected a clear-cut upgrade.

Interesting, it seems that partnering with B&O has actually effected the implementation compared to the V10, as it seems to be tuned differently

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #516 of 1,050

Interesting. So it's better on some genres of music than others vs. the ESS9018-powered v10. 

I have Poweramp but I'm done with EQ'ing. I think it just causes more problems than it's worth unless you're like a super genius EQ'er. lol 

That's cool that flat/neutral headphones sound best with it. Though I think they sound best with everything. 
L3000.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #517 of 1,050

Now THAT review is more like it.

Sounds like they were in aux power mode by hooking the phones up to a mixing console and the reviewer actually mentioned using 60 ohm headphones.

The B&O module may be tuned differently (or perhaps the 9028 chip has a different sound signature and/or the upsampling adds some coloration) but the old V10 had better measurements.

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #518 of 1,050

I'm curious to see whether HTC is just using the Snapdragon DAC or they have a higher quality one built in. I suspect it's just the Snapdragon DAC and they just put in a separate, more powerful amp rather than just using the on-board amp. That's what they usually do. If so I think it might fall below the B&O in quality, since it has an ESS DAC, even if output power is similar, but I guess we'll have to wait for more info. 

I expect build quality and software on the HTC to be far superior to the G5. HTC has generally had exceptional build quality with their phones, and their software tends to be a lighter touch, and therefore faster, than LG or Samsung put out. That's my experience at least. 

My senses are that by default - HTC sounds better (internal amp) - but at 150GBP price for the LG module - it really should sound better than HTC 10 once connected.

It's two different approach - where as every single HTC 10 will sound better than HTC M9 (thanks to the amp) - the G5 will only sound better if you opt for the upgrade (maybe marginally better than G4 without B&O due to 24bit support).

About the review, exactly - couldn't work out what headphone they were testing with. Nor was I sure they liked it because of the actual quality, or rather the sound equaliser that B&O unit might have applied

Furthermore - slightly keen to know why it made little difference on their Macbook Air - and if the G5 tuned deliberately to sound as different as possible vs with B&O.

*Since they were able to plug B&O module (sounds like body odor) into Macbook Air - I wonder if you could connect it also to the S7/HTC10? That would be interesting. (at that price its basically an external amp)

Only time will tell.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #519 of 1,050
I'm curious to see whether HTC is just using the Snapdragon DAC or they have a higher quality one built in. I suspect it's just the Snapdragon DAC and they just put in a separate, more powerful amp rather than just using the on-board amp. That's what they usually do. If so I think it might fall below the B&O in quality, since it has an ESS DAC, even if output power is similar, but I guess we'll have to wait for more info. 

I expect build quality and software on the HTC to be far superior to the G5. HTC has generally had exceptional build quality with their phones, and their software tends to be a lighter touch, and therefore faster, than LG or Samsung put out. That's my experience at least. 

I wonder the same thing, and Snapdragon DAC is of course 24 bits and high-res capable. Now, with powerful amp, supporting components and tuning, it can bring the differences. I am getting a 10 as I placed pre-order. My priority was to use an unlocked phone on my T-Mobile with band 12 LTE. I will put in a review regarding it sound quality as well :D

Oh, and that hi-fi plus module for $200 buck ? Forget it, I will stick with my PHA-3 if I need external amp :D. I adored the tech at first, but now....not so much by how LG is pricing it, and G5 seems to be a xhit with build in DAC, and that means without the module, your flagship phone turns to xhit....nah...thank you

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #520 of 1,050
I'm sorry to say I have also pre-ordered M10( sry HTC 10) . It pains me to abandon the idea of buying LG G5, the device that I think carries a lot of promise. But LG really made this a sort of "death by thousand cuts" experience for me:

1. American unlocked version is delayed for a month. B&O module is not coming to US. H950 (European) version is expensive; no warranty on imported version
  2. I was like okay, no big deal I will just import everything. Pre-order B&O module on Mobilefun (1 day delay...2 days... then another delay for 4 days.. finally 10 days delay)
  3. Locked bootloader, terrible build-in audio, small production issue (backlight bleed), software issues (bluetooth is an issue judging by XDA). 
  4. Then there is a multitude of small corresponding issues, since module doesn't have build-in power how will this affect battery life, is there ever going to be a case that will fit LG G5 with b&O module installed.

So at the end of the day I have decided that I will just buy HTC 10 and not have to worry about anything. Maybe it's a coward's way out, but it was just too much for me to handle after a while.

P.S. all I wanted from you LG was just a smaller V10 instead you went in some sort of crazy direction. Also your camera is fun.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #521 of 1,050
I'm sorry to say I have also pre-ordered M10( sry HTC 10) . It pains me to abandon the idea of buying LG G5, the device that I think carries a lot of promise. But LG really made this a sort of "death by [COLOR=545454]thousand [/COLOR]cuts" experience for me:

• American unlocked version is delayed for a month. B&O module is not coming to US. H950 (European) version is expensive; no warranty on imported version
  • I was like okay, no big deal I will just import everything. Pre-order B&O module on Mobilefun (1 day delay...2 days... then another delay for 4 days.. finally 10 days delay)
  • Locked bootloader, terrible build-in audio, small production issue (backlight bleed), software issues (bluetooth is an issue judging by XDA). 
  • Then there is a multitude of small corresponding issues, since module doesn't have build-in power how will this affect battery life, is there ever going to be a case that will fit LG G5 with b&O module installed.

So at the end of the day I have decided that I will just buy HTC 10 and not have to worry about anything. Maybe it's a coward's way out, but it was just too much for me to handle after a while.

P.S. all I wanted from you LG was just a smaller V10 instead you went in some sort of crazy direction. Also your camera is fun.

You are not alone, and I honestly think that Lg is killing it own child. That is so sad to see a huge potential for the G5. Honestly, for whatever th hi-fi module has to offer, it is hardly worth $150 at all. I mean, really, if you want any DAC/amp for around $200, there are plenty on the market anyways. The only good thing is the module mechanism, but with the way the pricing is....big mezh

I agreed, and I am not going to regret having HtC 10. The last HtC I had was G2 :D, and it was built like a tank, I tossed it, dropped it, stepped on it and it was still working until I gave it to my uncle...and it is still working....it seems to last the zombie apocalypse if needed.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #522 of 1,050
Reading the Engadget "Review"

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/14/htc-10-review/
"In a few cases, the LG G5's optional Hi-Fi Plus DAC sounded considerably better, but that could be a moot point, since LG might not bring that module to the US at all. Either way, music fans will be pretty pleased with the 10; it just sucks that we aren't getting those hi-res earbuds in the box when the phone launches in the States. (They're a little too heavy on the bass for me, but still!)"

So sort of gives an early indication - that B&O module is better than HTC 10 stock (provided you pay the premium).

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #524 of 1,050
I wonder the same thing, and Snapdragon DAC is of course 24 bits and high-res capable. Now, with powerful amp, supporting components and tuning, it can bring the differences. I am getting a 10 as I placed pre-order. My priority was to use an unlocked phone on my T-Mobile with band 12 LTE. I will put in a review regarding it sound quality as well
biggrin.gif

Oh, and that hi-fi plus module for $200 buck ? Forget it, I will stick with my PHA-3 if I need external amp
biggrin.gif
. I adored the tech at first, but now....not so much by how LG is pricing it, and G5 seems to be a xhit with build in DAC, and that means without the module, your flagship phone turns to xhit....nah...thank you

Oh you you got the PHA-3? Nice. How's that sound?? I had the PHA-2 but didn't understand how to use it properly (connected my Z3 phone to it via analog connection when should've been digital to get DAC activated, but couldn't get digital connection to work? I can't remember now what exactly was wrong, but I returned it. lol) It was sweet looking though, but one thing I hated was it was SUPER difficult to find a case for it. When I did, it was from some seller in Japan and I paid like $70 or something for it. I tried to return that, but couldn't, so had to sell it on eBay for a major loss ($15 lol). Sucked. The HA-2 doesn't really need a case b/c of the leather covering most of the body, and it's very sleek and thin, so easier to carry around than the PHA-2 would've been. 

I think the B&O is actually selling for $220. I was turned off by that too b/c initially I kept hearing $160. I'm 90% sure I won't be getting it either. Sounds like too much of a hassle to me with the Aux mode limitation, the issue of it sounding less good with other devices besides the G5, and more minor things like it having a plastic body vs. my Oppo HA-2's sweet metal & genuine stitched leather body. If I was getting a G5 though (if it was smaller I would! lol) I would prob get it too, but I'm not, so whatever. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #525 of 1,050

Oh you you got the PHA-3? Nice. How's that sound?? I had the PHA-2 but didn't understand how to use it properly (connected my Z3 phone to it via analog connection when should've been digital to get DAC activated, but couldn't get digital connection to work? I can't remember now what exactly was wrong, but I returned it. lol) It was sweet looking though, but one thing I hated was it was SUPER difficult to find a case for it. When I did, it was from some seller in Japan and I paid like $70 or something for it. I tried to return that, but couldn't, so had to sell it on eBay for a major loss ($15 lol). Sucked. The HA-2 doesn't really need a case b/c of the leather covering most of the body, and it's very sleek and thin, so easier to carry around than the PHA-2 would've been. 

I think the B&O is actually selling for $220. I was turned off by that too b/c initially I kept hearing $160. I'm 90% sure I won't be getting it either. Sounds like too much of a hassle to me with the Aux mode limitation, the issue of it sounding less good with other devices besides the G5, and more minor things like it having a plastic body vs. my Oppo HA-2's sweet metal & genuine stitched leather body. If I was getting a G5 though (if it was smaller I would! lol) I would prob get it too, but I'm not, so whatever. 

If the early indication is that G5+B&O module has the same SQ (or worse) than V10 - why on earth did they not just put it in by default.

Part of the fault must been trying to get this "modular" thing to flow - by adding a selling point.

However its taking something away from the previous V10 - and reselling it for higher price.

I think they miscalculated this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back