LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Nov 15, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #1,022 of 1,050
Connecting through USB-C for now is the only option for me, unfortunately. I am thinking about trying the LG tone platinums as well. I remember reading a note on audioXpress about these and apt-X HD and it made me curious. What do you guys think about them?

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #1,023 of 1,050
Connecting through USB-C for now is the only option for me, unfortunately. I am thinking about trying the LG tone platinums as well. I remember reading a note on audioXpress about these and [COLOR=333333]apt-X HD and[/COLOR] it made me curious. What do you guys think about them?

I am using them, and really like the tone platinum, although they have some issues, and I have only used them in standard aptx, with a v10, I really like these, they sound good, not as good as my top end iem's but the sound is great for a headset, and the technology is great.
The build is questionable, the wires are very fine, and mine is playing up already in the right channel crackles and pops then goes right down in volume,(for about 5 to 10 minutes in a day),

make sure you buy one with a solid warranty, because chances are you will need it, but hey I really like this thing when it works. And LG Australia will not touch it. Very upset by this fact.

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,024 of 1,050
I am using them, and really like the tone platinum, although they have some issues, and I have only used them in standard aptx, with a v10, I really like these, they sound good, not as good as my top end iem's but the sound is great for a headset, and the technology is great.
The build is questionable, the wires are very fine, and mine is playing up already in the right channel crackles and pops then goes right down in volume,(for about 5 to 10 minutes in a day),

make sure you buy one with a solid warranty, because chances are you will need it, but hey I really like this thing when it works. And LG Australia will not touch it. Very upset by this fact.

Thanks, sounds really interesting. I will make sure to review what's the warranty first since it looks like it will be needed sooner or later.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,025 of 1,050
Thanks, sounds really interesting. I will make sure to review what's the warranty first since it looks like it will be needed sooner or later.

I only have owned the headset for a week, so these are only initial impressions, so it's hard to give a great detailed information as I'm still adapting to this headset.

It seems the only way to use the aptxHD capabilities, is by using a g5 or a v20. I have neither devices, so i am limited to standard aptx, which is really good, so it can only get better in sound quality with aptxHD.

I have had to buy this through someone who had grey imported it, (because it's not available in Australia), and there's always a risk when doing this, I have had a good run with several devices so I was bound to get a lemon.

However it's not all bad if the fault comes up it only lasts in the state for a few minutes, just long enough to test my patience, (I must admit it I had come close to loosing my cool, but we can not let these things get the better of us)

The seller has refunded a portion of money and sent another earlier version of headset the LG hbs910. While I can put up with this, I just wait a few minute's and the channel clears up.

So I ended up with a bonus headset, the 1100 is very good, it's features work very well, voice commands are a nice touch, as well as being able to read your last message back to you, as well as taking notes or reading the time to you, (with an app),
and the call clarity is better than the phone, this alone makes this thing worth its money. It's so nice to have a crystal clear hands free. And a seamless transition from crystal clear music play back, to talking on the phone, and all you have to do is say answer, or reject. LG nailed this.

When listening to music you can almost forget you are wearing a headset, the cables are so thin you can barely notice they are there. I can wear this all day.

1100 tone platinum iem Bud, with JVC spiral dots fitted.

The bass is crazy for something that is the size of a pea, they are smaller than anything I have, yet they can deliver the most punchy bass, once you engage the bass boost, and yes it has bass boost. The mids and treble are very clear, although it does lack the power and dynamics of a high end dap with top tier iem's.

Harmen & Karden along with LG have created a really interesting player with this Bluetooth,

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,026 of 1,050
Thanks for the detailed response, they sound very promising indeed. To be honest I’ve never owned bluetooth headphones but I’m curious about how aptX HD were implemented in the Tone Platinums and the upcoming Audio Technicas DSR9BT (although admittedly I’m looking for something more casual as I already have other pairs for critical listening). I saw several refurbished ones on Ebay and I was going to go that route but I think I will get them from Amazon to get full warranty (hopefully) in case one of the channels die, etc.

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #1,027 of 1,050
Question to you guys so ive read on here that using the DAC will severely affect battery life so id like to know if i have the DAC connected and just use the phone as normal (not listening to music) does this affect the battery life at all ? merely by having the DAC installed, also does battery life get affected with having the DAC installed whilst listening to music over Bluetooth say for the gym etc ? compared to not having the DAC installed.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,028 of 1,050
Question to you guys so ive read on here that using the DAC will severely affect battery life so id like to know if i have the DAC connected and just use the phone as normal (not listening to music) does this affect the battery life at all ? merely by having the DAC installed, also does battery life get affected with having the DAC installed whilst listening to music over Bluetooth say for the gym etc ? compared to not having the DAC installed.
It only impacts it if you are using the DAC. I often use the regular plug on the top of the phone if I'm listening to podcasts to conserve battery. Keep in mind the G5 doesn't have great battery life normally, but listening to music with the DAC makes it abysmal.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,031 of 1,050
I've been using my LG G5 with the B&O DAC and using USB Audio Player Pro

But its become very dodgy lately... random USB related errors, requiring the phone to be rebooted to get the DAC to play any sound. Not sure if hardware related, or related to USBAPP (which is pretty dodgy app itself)

I was very happy with the audio quality though... but im looking at other, more reliable alternatives.

Does anyone know how the G5 + B&O compares to say a FiiO X1? Or even V10, V20, Samsung S7?

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #1,032 of 1,050

But its become very dodgy lately... random USB related errors, requiring the phone to be rebooted to get the DAC to play any sound. Not sure if hardware related, or related to USBAPP (which is pretty dodgy app itself)

I was very happy with the audio quality though... but im looking at other, more reliable alternatives.

Does anyone know how the G5 + B&O compares to say a FiiO X1? Or even V10, V20, Samsung S7?

Hmm, strange. I'm using the exact same setup and I've got no issues. Did you try to remove UAPP and install it again?

The G5 with the HiFi module is quite goood IMO. It easily outperformed the S7 (although the S7 was better than I expected, Exynos) and even the FiiO X3 to my ears.

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #1,033 of 1,050

Hi,
I am using lg g5 with hifiplus and poweramp alpha. Very reliable and awesome sound. I had the chance to compare with v10 using my earphones (ue TripleFi 10). The sound is very similarbut the g5+dac sounds slighly warmer and richer in a nice way!
I dont like very warm sound. Just the right amound. Soni prefer g5 and dac. I believe the v20 will be same like the g5 since it is also tuned by b&o but I didn't have the chance to test it.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,034 of 1,050
Wait what? Mine only came with one. I feel ripped off.

I read that B&O DAC has similar sound quality to Dragonfly Red, but less analytical and more natural signature. It seems that they have similar power output too. I plan to make budgetary android DAP from this module (B&O) and Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back