LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Oct 26, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #991 of 1,050
I'm seriously considering starting to use my G5 without the Hifi Plus attached. The sound is great but battery drain is so high it's ridiculous. I have to plan when to use it or not, might as well just attach it with a OTG cable when I want to use it and have a smaller phone with more case options the rest of the time.

I'm also having issues with the phone when using me cars Bluetooth system, pretty disappointing that LG still haven't solved this (was the same with my G3).

Apart from these two things it's a great phone.

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #992 of 1,050
I just change my battery 2-3 times a day :/  Good to have a power bank too.  

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #993 of 1,050
Yeah, I've got enough possibilities to charge it but I just find it inconvenient since I use it a lot and charging while listening to music is a no go for it.

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #994 of 1,050
I agree it's a huge pain, but I'm happy to make the sacrifice for the SQ. Hopefully by the time this contract is up they'll have batteries that will last all day while listening and not explode. Maybe wishful thinking...

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #996 of 1,050
How does it compare to fiio amp dacs?

It sounds pretty similar to me, the B&O may be a bit better... but the G5 with the module actually has a pitch black noise floor even with SE846.  My E07K picks up a small amount of hiss on the 846, but those are the only ones that have ever picked up noise on the Fiio.  Only major complaint is the lack of manual gain adjustment on the B&O.  

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #997 of 1,050
It sounds pretty similar to me, the B&O may be a bit better... but the G5 with the module actually has a pitch black noise floor even with SE846.  My E07K picks up a small amount of hiss on the 846, but those are the only ones that have ever picked up noise on the Fiio.  Only major complaint is the lack of manual gain adjustment on the B&O.  
what abt fiio q1. It has good bass boost and gain level

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #998 of 1,050
what abt fiio q1. It has good bass boost and gain level

I haven't heard the Q1.  I wouldn't use bass boost even if I had it, I prefer to alter the sound signature of my drivers as little as possible.  With the G5 though you can use the EQ from your poweramp or whatever so that's not a big issue.  For the most part the lack of gain doesn't matter, but some very low sensitivity drivers can cause low max volume issues.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #999 of 1,050
I haven't heard the Q1.  I wouldn't use bass boost even if I had it, I prefer to alter the sound signature of my drivers as little as possible.  With the G5 though you can use the EQ from your poweramp or whatever so that's not a big issue.  For the most part the lack of gain doesn't matter, but some very low sensitivity drivers can cause low max volume issues.
ya but for gaming bass boost is good?

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #1,000 of 1,050
ya but for gaming bass boost is good?

Maybe, I don't use IEMS for gaming.  Any of the audiophile oriented DACs are total overkill for games since the audio is all highly compressed anyway.  

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #1,002 of 1,050
Yeah, I've got enough possibilities to charge it but I just find it inconvenient since I use it a lot and charging while listening to music is a no go for it.

Hi Peter

What sort of battery life are you getting out of the phone/DAC combo when clipped together in terms of music playback? I picked this up a while back, but have only used it sporadically with a fully charged phone (I tend to plug back into the mains in work to top up during the day) and not used it in a while as I'm waiting for a case from eBay.

Just curious what to expect as and when I put this into full rotation for music listening?

Actually, the DAC unit looks (and sounds) pretty good sat in between my Surface Pro 2 and my iMicro SE on my desktop setup so may end up staying there - anyone else using theirs just as a standalone DAC?

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,003 of 1,050
Hi Peter

What sort of battery life are you getting out of the phone/DAC combo when clipped together in terms of music playback? I picked this up a while back, but have only used it sporadically with a fully charged phone (I tend to plug back into the mains in work to top up during the day) and not used it in a while as I'm waiting for a case from eBay.

Just curious what to expect as and when I put this into full rotation for music listening?

Actually, the DAC unit looks (and sounds) pretty good sat in between my Surface Pro 2 and my iMicro SE on my desktop setup so may end up staying there - anyone else using theirs just as a standalone DAC?

I haven't tested with a clock and running from full to flat playing music but this morning I listened for 30-40 minutes and battery was down about 20%.

I actually got the DAC unit before I decided to buy the phone and its performance convinced me to go for the G5 as well, I still haven't had time to properly compare it to a wider variety of my other DAC's to see where I'd place it but will do so when I get the time. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,004 of 1,050
Been considering the G5 with the B&O module, but the battery life Peter is reporting sounds a bit worrying. What experience do the rest of you have with the battery life while using the module?

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,005 of 1,050
  Been considering the G5 with the B&O module, but the battery life Peter is reporting sounds a bit worrying. What experience do the rest of you have with the battery life while using the module?

We had a discussion on that a few pages back.  I go through about 3 battery charges a day, but it totally depends on how much music you listen to.  It drains very fast, I'd estimate 3-4 hours from 100%-0% while listening to music using the module, faster if your screen is on. You absolutely need a power brick and spare battery with this thing unless you are able to plug in frequently.  Even then, fast charge is disabled while using the hifi module, so you use about as much energy as it charges while listening to music.  The charge will literally not go up while plugged in and using the B&O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back