LG G2 coming soon
Aug 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Baroninkjet

100+ Head-Fier
LG has made audio in the line-out sense a priority for the G2. We’ve seen a lot of emphasis from other OEMs on speaker quality and stereo sound, with the G2 LG has put time into rewriting part of the ALSA stack and Android framework to support higher sampling and bit depth. The inability of the Android platform to support different sampling rates for different applications remains a big limitation for OEMs, one LG wrote around, and with the G2 up to 24 bit 192 kHz FLAC/WAV playback is supported in the stock player, and LG says it will make an API available for other apps to take advantage of this higher definition audio support to foster a better 24-bit ecosystem on Android. 

I asked about what codec the G2 uses, and it turns out this is the latest Qualcomm WCD part, which I believe is WCD9320 for the MSM8974 platform. LG says that although the previous WCD9310 device had limitations, the WCD9320 platform offers considerably better audio performance and quality that enables them to expose these higher quality modes and get good output. The entire audio chain (software, hardware codec, and headphone amplifier) have been optimized for good quality and support for these higher bit depths, I’m told. I didn’t get a chance to listen to line out audio, but hopefully in testing this emphasis will play itself out in testing.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7205/hands-on-with-the-lg-g2-lgs-latest-flagship

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 22
  Care to share your impressions of the phone?

The G2 has 5.2 inch screen and has great ergonomics in terms of size and weight (143g).    The volume button and on/off switch is positioned at the back of the phone and it works pretty well and makes lots of sense.   Especially using the volume button at the back to take pictures works like a charm.    

Music player is easy to navigate and plays all my HD Tracks (both FLAC and WAV) flawlessly.   It sounded great on my earphones (FAD Heaven 6 and ToGo 334) at 50% volume.    TH900 and W3000ANV need to be driven at 100% volume and they sound great as well.   I will say that the sound quality is equivalent to Sony Walkman DAPs A-series.   I bought the Korean set as it comes with micro sd slot and removable battery.   So far, i can get full day of usage which is not bad considering it is 2160ma battery versus 3000ma in International version of the phone.  

So far very happy with the 13 mega camera with image stabilization , full HD screen, form factor and very good sounding 24/192 music player.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 22
Thanks for the report! I will definitely be checking them out when they are released in US in a few days. My I-9300 has become a pain, having been hit by the freezing/memory address bug. And seeing screen outside is a total joke.

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 22
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/123636-lg-g2-review

LG supports high bitrate audio at 24-bit/192KHz and you can play FLAC and other lossless music files on the device too. To hear the true benefit of this you have to plug in headphones as you can only hear high bitrate audio through the headphone jack, not via USB or Bluetooth. Still, audio fiends will love the idea of this. And true to form we thought it sounded very, very good indeed.

It's nice to be able to play lossless audio out of the box, despite the obvious negative impact to internal storage space. But there's a lot more here than just lossless, because 24-bit/192KHz is a grade above CD quality. LG includes a demo track of its "theme song" on board and it really is breathtaking to hear through decent headphones. Sadly, most of us can't access much music in this format - it's hard to come by. However you look at it though, LG is one of only a few firms to take music seriously on smartphoes, and we have to say, we're really impressed.

Of course, as we mentioned, try storing much audio on the phone - especially on the 16GB model - and you're going to come unstuck. There is no microSD slot for expansion - so if you're serious about your music you'll want to opt for the 32GB unit for sure. That's as big as the G2 comes.

We also note that the LG can power decent headphones at a good volume too, something which can be a problem for Android handsets and audiophile headphones. So more thumbs up here too. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 22
  Personally I'm going to head the Sony Xperia z1 route if it comes to att

Same here. Its was a tossup between the LG G2, Note 3, and Xperia Z1 for me. LG however just shot itself out of the running by not including expandable storage. Its such a massive blunder especially for a phone oriented towards Hi-Fi audio.

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #15 of 22
I just bought the G2 and it's amazing... I have a couple questions though....

Will I get the 24 bit 192 kHz playback if I listen to my music through spotify with extreme quality? Or will it sound the same as my last phone? (Galaxy Nexus) Also, is using a fiio E11 amp with my AKG k550 not needed with this phone to get better quality? Sorry guys I don't know that much about sound quality haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back