LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)
Dec 26, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #541 of 633
  Made product of the year :

http://headphone.guru/product-of-the-year-2014-reviewer-picks/2/

I was going to post the link after the holidays but you beat me to it. For those interestted, there will also be a multi reviewer artucle released within the next few weeks on audio360.org. By the way, the award is writers choice for product of the year.

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #542 of 633
  I was going to post the link after the holidays but you beat me to it. For those interestted, there will also be a multi reviewer artucle released within the next few weeks on audio360.org. By the way, the award is writers choice for product of the year.

Awesome!

No one deserves this more than Luis!  Would love to hear the Enigma!  But the Slants are amazing and they just keep improving with ever system change!   Just got some new pads from Luis.   These look to be the same ones he is supplying with the Enigmas!  They are thicker
and a bit softer than my original pads.  They seal better and are a good bit more comfortable.   The sound has also slightly improved!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #543 of 633

Limited edition Project x headphone??? Never heard of that..he probably meant the limited edition code-x from Luis?
But congrats to luis ofcourse...he deserves it!!!!

But whats that all about..new pads??? Could they be even better then the ones i have on my code-x?

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #545 of 633
Whoops, my bad. You're fight I meant the Code X. My apologies.

No worries..i have one of the 20 and i love it deeply! I was just wondering if he made another 'out of this world' good limited headphone.. :wink:

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #546 of 633
No worries..i have one of the 20 and i love it deeply! I was just wondering if he made another 'out of this world' good limited headphone.. :wink:

You'd have to ask the guru himself but from talking to him Luis is the type of tinkerer whose always thinking what can be done to take his work to the next step. Who knows, only the future will tell the tale.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #547 of 633
You'd have to ask the guru himself but from talking to him Luis is the type of tinkerer whose always thinking what can be done to take his work to the next step. Who knows, only the future will tell the tale.

Yep he his..and a nice dude to talk to...very amiable guy...excellent workmanship also....wish more were like him...putting his customers first before making money.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #548 of 633
I got to listen to the Enigmas last week on my Bottlehead S.E.X, and I was very impressed. It didn't really do anything wrong, and excelled in the areas I consider to be crititcal. Mid-range, tonality, treble control to name a few. It reminded me of an LCD-2 R.2, but without the excessive bass, less of a mid-range presence, less agressive and punchy, but ulimately, just as musical. I also loved how its being a closed headphone didn't really seem to affect the soundstage, or produce a cuppy feel to the sound.

All in all, it ticked all my boxes for a bedside rig, and its relative politeness will suit that purpose very well.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #549 of 633
Hi everyone,

I am really tempted to pick a pair of these up. They look beautiful and I like that they are a labour of love rather than something mass produced. I am really tempted by the Alpha Primes too. My problem is that in the UK there is no way for me to either of the headphones so I will be buying blind, and have to pay insane import fees.

Could someone write a little about how they compare?
Or, as this is the Enigma thread, sell me the Enigma's over the Primes and tell me why I should get them.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #550 of 633
  sell me the Enigma's over the Primes and tell me why I should get them.

Wooden cups are much cooler than 3D-Printed ones 
smile.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #552 of 633
  Hi everyone,

I am really tempted to pick a pair of these up. They look beautiful and I like that they are a labour of love rather than something mass produced. I am really tempted by the Alpha Primes too. My problem is that in the UK there is no way for me to either of the headphones so I will be buying blind, and have to pay insane import fees.

Could someone write a little about how they compare?
Or, as this is the Enigma thread, sell me the Enigma's over the Primes and tell me why I should get them.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The real question is, what are you looking for in terms of sound? Enigma is super, super laid back and relaxing with very rich texture. I haven't heard Alpha Prime, but I understand it's much brighter  (at least in terms of planar magnetics) and more forward. The Enigma is probably a better headphone from a technical standpoint, but if you don't care for the sound that doesn't make a huge difference. I personally really loved it, but there's no way it could be my only headphone.

If you're looking for something with a sound somewhere between these two I thought the ZMF Blackwood was a really excellent all-rounder. I ultimately preferred my Ultrasone Sig Pros but I would be more than happy with only the Blackwood.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #554 of 633
  @Levaix
 @Drsparis
@remilio

Thank you for your responses. I really want to take a chance and get these headphones.
Wallet permitting, I will report back with pictures and impressions at a future time.

Haha, glad I could help! didint say much, so in all fairness here's a more profound response. LFF really does make magic, I took a chance with one of his Code-Xs and they are just fantastic! very detailed yet very smooth. I understand that these are different headphones but the point is, he really takes his time to do something he loves and it shows. I know I'm waiting on a Slant :D

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #555 of 633
Haha, glad I could help! didint say much, so in all fairness here's a more profound response. LFF really does make magic, I took a chance with one of his Code-Xs and they are just fantastic! very detailed yet very smooth. I understand that these are different headphones but the point is, he really takes his time to do something he loves and it shows. I know I'm waiting on a Slant :D

Owing one of the original NOS code-x'es i can only confirm that they are very very very special and that the one who created them is nothing less then a genius....but they are open backed...so not closed...but if ur in the market for a headphone whether closed or open....GET urself a second hand rare HE5 and let it be transformed into a code-x by Luis...u wont regret it..but finding a genuine HE5 is almost miracle-wise nowadays. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back