Lexicon BD-30 Blu-ray Player (Oppo BDP-83 Clone) Review.
Jan 16, 2010 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
Oppo on the Inside, Lexicon on the Outside — Reviews and News from Audioholics

wow.

lets see them explain THIS stunt.

(cue the popcorn icon...)

wink.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 94
hahaha thats got to be one of the funniest things ive seen in a long time. And the best part is the guys on AVS defending it. Why would anyone waste their time defending such a blatant ripoff? a 500 dollar player wedged into a new aluminum chassis? kind of a new low

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 94
Now that gives me an idea....

wink.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 94
this does remind me of the photo wars between pany and leica. leica also got caught red-handed when they duplicated the pany fz50 and rebadged it. their mistake was to say it was 'hand crafted in germany' or even tested there. both lies. they also said the firmware was improved but they simply just gave the user different click-stops as defaults, that's all! yet they charged many times the price for the same made-in-japan model.

we also know of the beresford (cough cough) that repackages chinese dacs under their own name and doubles the price.

this is way more common than many people know ;(

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 94
I have also heard that many other exotic brands just take the flagship products from consumer brands and tweak them a little. But this is more professional! :p

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 94
Here's a question: Is Lexicon paying retail for finished Oppos and dumping the Oppo chassis out the back door, or is Oppo's Chinese manufacturer running a second shift producing bootleg goods for Lexicon? Pretty scummy either way.

To me, this scam is a good reminder of the so-called price placebo. People assume that because they're paying more, they're getting superior goods or services, which is not always the case.

Something to keep in mind before shelling out unnecessary hundreds or thousands for the elusive 5 percent performance gain. Sometimes the only difference between a $500 piece of equipment and a $3000 piece is $2500.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by McPanse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a question: Is Lexicon paying retail for finished Oppos and dumping the Oppo chassis out the back door, or is Oppo's Chinese manufacturer running a second shift producing bootleg goods for Lexicon? Pretty scummy either way.

To me, this scam is a good reminder of the so-called price placebo. People assume that because they're paying more, they're getting superior goods or services, which is not always the case.

Something to keep in mind before shelling out unnecessary hundreds or thousands for the elusive 5 percent performance gain. Sometimes the only difference between a $500 piece of equipment and a $3000 piece is $2500.

i doubt its anything that underhanded, im sure oppo is just acting as an OEM for them, and they probably signed a NDA of some kind to not talk about it.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 94
Wow, excellent read...thanks so much for sharing!

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 94
Lexicon BD-30 Blu-ray Player (Oppo BDP-83 Clone) Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Quote:

It's an Oppo BDP-83. Normally we'd launch into a statement like this with more tact. We may, for example, wax eloquent about the Lexicon BD-30's beautiful chassis or it's billet aluminum front face. We could tell you about the heft of the unit, or the fact that comes double boxed with enough padding to warrant throwing it off the FedEx or UPS truck while it's still moving. While all of that is true, the Lexicon BD-30 is still an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player. And what's more, it's not just using the same parts - they actually stuck the player inside - chassis and all. This would be OK, were it not for the $3000 premium and THX certification. As Sherlock Holmes would say: The game is afoot!

LexiconBD-30.jpg

Lexicon.

OppoBDP-83.jpg

Oppo.

New Lexicon THX Certified Blu-Ray player. - Page 5 - AVS Forum

The best part is the high end audio crowd at avsforums still try and defend the product!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back