LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Apr 18, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #1,501 of 1,906
I suppose I am curious about Planar IEM. My desktop headphones are all Audeze.

My main concern in ordering the s-12 is in how many reviewers say the treble is hot.

It has a upper mid range lift, so there aren't any bad upper treble spikes per se. I have come to really appreciate the overall tuning of the S12 (original). Yes, it can be a bit intense, but it has clarity thanks to the planar performance. It is also imperative to get the best seal possible with the right tips, as that planar bass is important in completing and balancing out the entire sound. It has a pretty great fit overall, with nozzles that perhaps are just slight shallow in depth. This set still blows me away and many times I will prefer them over my beloved HD660S just for wearability but also for their better perceived / real clarity. I've really enjoyed using them gaming and are easily powered by the PS5 Dualsense.

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #1,502 of 1,906
Hey nice call on using the good old fashioned JVC Spiral Dots. I had been using some clear tips that I think came with the unit. The Spiral Dots definitely tightened up the bass.

Funny but I have three very different IEMs in my collection right now in terms of construction, but all have a fairly similar sound. The S12; LZ A7 (tuned gold filter right now), and FLC8D (gunmetal filter). So I guess you would say I do like an extended treble presentation; I prefer that to a more rolled off sound.

Actually I think I am the person the Harman target is aimed at. Because my car has Harman Audio and it sounds just about right. Plus I think the Apple Airpod Pros are tuned fairly Harman-ish.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,503 of 1,906
- Hi, whatcha doin?
- Just trying my new 3,5mm to 6,35mm 20ohm impedance adapter.
- What?
- I mean, just listening to music.

Letshuoer_S12Pro_iFi_Diablo_Rebelamp.jpg

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #1,505 of 1,906
Is there anyone who can give me a comparison of letshouer s12 VS audeze euclid? Many thanks.

The S12 is more V-shaped than the neutral bright Euclid. The S12 is hence bassier and more "fun sounding". Both are bright pairs, but the Euclid seems to have a few more treble spikes. If you read forums, quite a few users seem to need to EQ the Euclid to make it tonally more acceptable. Euclid is harder to drive also.

In technicalities, the Euclid is ahead, but as per diminishing returns in this hobby, the Euclid is 10x more expensive, but not 10x better in technical chops (I don't even think it is 2 - 3x better in this aspect). S12 hence has superior price to performance ratio.

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,506 of 1,906
The S12 is more V-shaped than the neutral bright Euclid. The S12 is hence bassier and more "fun sounding". Both are bright pairs, but the Euclid seems to have a few more treble spikes. If you read forums, quite a few users seem to need to EQ the Euclid to make it tonally more acceptable. Euclid is harder to drive also.

In technicalities, the Euclid is ahead, but as per diminishing returns in this hobby, the Euclid is 10x more expensive, but not 10x better in technical chops (I don't even think it is 2 - 3x better in this aspect). S12 hence has superior price to performance ratio.
Thanks for your explanation. I tried 7h timeless before and if I to describe it, it kind of gives out like a French horn sound. Is that the signature planar sound? Or do other planars sound the same?

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #1,509 of 1,906
Finally got a chance to demo these. My RHA T20 finally died and I have been looking for a replacement. I immediately got the IE200 and they are fantastic, but I a still curious about the newer planars.

Tips seem to be everything with these and there is a lot of character difference between them. I tried the Final type E tips and they seal, but slowly work their way out. I tried Spring Tips as they are a stickier material but the isolation just isn’t right. The best results were with the included foam tips. Fortunately these are the Comply style foam and fit nicely. Tonality seems best with them. I may order some actual Comply tips with the tech defender screen to see what they sound like.

Even with the tips changed there is a lot of inertia in the treble. For example the static sounds on Portishead’s Glory Box that are generally way down in the mix shoot right to the front on the S12. I have a few days to try them out. Chances are I will just stick with the IE200.

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #1,510 of 1,906
Thanks for your explanation. I tried 7h timeless before and if I to describe it, it kind of gives out like a French horn sound. Is that the signature planar sound? Or do other planars sound the same?

Most planar IEMs suffer from this timbre issue unfortunately. It is a consequence of the very fast transients and rapid decay they bring to the table. Though it is a double edge sword, as most planars have top-notch technicalities and resolution.

Pros and cons of planar IEMs as such.

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #1,512 of 1,906
Most planar IEMs suffer from this timbre issue unfortunately. It is a consequence of the very fast transients and rapid decay they bring to the table. Though it is a double edge sword, as most planars have top-notch technicalities and resolution.

Thanks for your explanation, at least I'm hearing things align to the general conception! Thanks!

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #1,513 of 1,906

My best mods have DD like timbre fwiw. I would accept nothing less

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #1,514 of 1,906
I've only seen a couple graphs of your shortbus mod, is this just some tape on the inside vent and narrow bore?
This mod has a 3mm Sony density foam deep in the bore and a .5mm silicon insert. Nothing else has been done. It's decent but the true way to make this iem sing is cracking the shell and doing a lot more.

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #1,515 of 1,906

Planar IEMs need a steeper subass curve to overcome that typical planar timbre. Tangzu Zetian Wu is a great example to sound more like a natural DD gem. KZ PR2 might be another interesting contender in that department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back