LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Oct 8, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #1,381 of 1,906
My initial impressions posted above were really early. These are epic.

The main caveat remains its incisive treble. But honestly, there are far too many sleepy-sounding headphones and iems and many in the lower price that have elevated treble can be scratchy sounding. While a bit over-saturated in brilliance, this helps create room space perception, especially when combined with spatial audio. Your brain can acclimate to this treble level, it just becomes more of an issue at louder volumes.

The bass region is very well done for a planar, coming with most of its characteristics. Very well-extended and crazy good with electric, synthetic and acoustic.

I still may prefer my FH5S overall, as it has a similar brilliance, tunable EQ switches, not as hot in treble, and the Be driver dynamic bass quality is incredible (especially as the FH5S is open back). But I'd rank them neck-and-neck, with the S12 being less expensive and really a nice compliment due to the different tech, even though the signatures are similar. FH5S is a bit bigger, but very comfy, and build quality and design is a bit higher. Cables are on par, but the FH5S comes with a ton of tips.

Compared to my HD660S - the 660S has a vivid sound, especially for the 600-series, and has a very clear driver approaching HD800 levels. It is smoother sounding and eminently easy going, with some warmth. The treble is also more refined. The S12 can dig further down though.

For those looking to upgrade from here, I'd actually recommend not 'upgrading' but rather just finding compliments for use-case (ie. wireless ANC, over-ear, etc). You can spend more money, but I'm not sure you will find more enjoyment, just something different.

Or take some of that money you would have spent on kilobuck sets, and buy friends & family some S12s or similar.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,382 of 1,906
More tip, fingers crossed.
20221008_194447.jpg

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,384 of 1,906
That's the only negative thing I can say about buying the s12

Paid £140 for the iems and I'm up to £37 so far for tips🤯🤯🤯

Look at it this way: The S12s have a pretty average nozzle width/diameter so whatever tips you find that work best for you on the S12s will likely be a good match for many IEMs you try or purchase in the future. Finding third party tips that work well for you, are widely available, and fit many IEM models is a great investment for now and the future if you continue in the hobby.

My favorite tips end up being my choice on 75%-80% or so of the IEMs I purchase that don't have some kind of specialty or uncommon type/size nozzle.

Oct 8, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,386 of 1,906
To make them fit my ears. I must have tiny ear canals.

Atm I'm boxing back up to send them back to Amazon.

As much as I like the sound there not comfy at all,. I need closed back/no sound leak as I listen in bed next to the Mrs. Th monolith m565c had to go back as they were as loud as open back.

Just feel like I'm back at square one 😔

Oct 8, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #1,387 of 1,906
How do the ca honeydew and satsuma compare to the s12 there 3.5 I know that
Satsuma is mediocre and overpriced, IMHO. It has that texture-less midrange of some BA or hybrid like FH3, like everything is a bit smoothened over. And of course you have BA bass as well. Some other sets with BA bass are at least compensated by highly resolving midrange and treble (think of Andromeda or the more obscure Hidizs MD4).

When properly driven (fuller bass, less harsh) and modded if necessary, S12 approaches the sound level that I consider TOTL. So, IMHO, there is no comparison.

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #1,392 of 1,906
Can anyone suggest a good balanced cable for these headphones?

If you get the Shuoer S12 Pro, it comes with a modular cable that already allows 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4 mm modules.

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #1,394 of 1,906
I have the original one.

The NiceHCK 8 core cables are quite good. They are around $10 USD or less during sales, very durable, supple and have low resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back