LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Oct 11, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #1,396 of 1,906
I have currently Moondrop Aria's (new in the IEM game) which I'm really impressed with. I was thinking to upgrade so looking at Letshouer S12/S12 pro.
Shouer S12 is currently cca 160e, S12 pro 180e. Paid 90e for Arias so basically these are double the price.
Are they really twice as good, am I going to hear massive improvements over Aria?

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #1,397 of 1,906
I have not touched my Arias since I have the S12. But then to be honest I am now listening more to CCA PA13 because somehow they are better for many of my preferred music to fall asleep with.

Oct 11, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #1,401 of 1,906
The NiceHCK 8 core cables are quite good. They are around $10 USD or less during sales, very durable, supple and have low resistance.
I disagree. I'm not a cable changer kind of guy (Stock is best, the company knows best) but I do find XINHS the best so far for cables.

Oct 11, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #1,402 of 1,906
How do the ca honeydew and satsuma compare to the s12 there 3.5 I know that

I own the S12 and the Honeydew. I got the Honeydew on a deep discount. I'd say the S12 is a better all-around IEM different genres of music and movies, youtube, etc. Meanwhile, the Honeydew is kind of a specialty IEM that I like for only certain genres of music like old school hip hop, older jazz recordings and 1960s - 70s classic rock and pop.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #1,403 of 1,906
I have currently Moondrop Aria's (new in the IEM game) which I'm really impressed with. I was thinking to upgrade so looking at Letshouer S12/S12 pro.
Shouer S12 is currently cca 160e, S12 pro 180e. Paid 90e for Arias so basically these are double the price.
Are they really twice as good, am I going to hear massive improvements over Aria?

The Aria and S12/S12 Pro are totally different animals - single DD versus planar. So kind of an apples to oranges comparison to compare two different transducer types, as they have different pros and cons.

The Aria is way less technical (poorer imaging, transients, instrument separation, micro-details, clarity). The Aria is however, much smoother with less sibilance and fatigue in the treble. The Aria also has a more natural timbral accuracy, whereas most planars have a bit of an unnatural sheen to acoustic instruments, perhaps due to their very fast transients.

So depends what you are after. If you look at technicalities, definitely the S12/S12 Pro are leagues ahead.

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #1,404 of 1,906
The Aria and S12/S12 Pro are totally different animals - single DD versus planar. So kind of an apples to oranges comparison to compare two different transducer types, as they have different pros and cons.

The Aria is way less technical (poorer imaging, transients, instrument separation, micro-details, clarity). The Aria is however, much smoother with less sibilance and fatigue in the treble. The Aria also has a more natural timbral accuracy, whereas most planars have a bit of an unnatural sheen to acoustic instruments, perhaps due to their very fast transients.

So depends what you are after. If you look at technicalities, definitely the S12/S12 Pro are leagues ahead.
Thanks. To be honest not really sure as I'm very new to this stuff. I had Soundcore, Soundpeats, etc TWE, Sony WH XM4(just sold them)a and Aria's are my first IEM.

After listening to Aria's I got curious and would like to hear what's next level from Aria. S12 is basically mentioned everywhere so that's why I sort of pick them however I have no clue how planars sound and what to expect.

I went back lots of pages in this thread and lot of people are saying S12 require amp to bring best out of them? Is that correct? Using Galaxy s21 Ultra with 3.5 adapter(Samsung too) atm.

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #1,405 of 1,906
Thanks. To be honest not really sure as I'm very new to this stuff. I had Soundcore, Soundpeats, etc TWE, Sony WH XM4(just sold them)a and Aria's are my first IEM.

After listening to Aria's I got curious and would like to hear what's next level from Aria. S12 is basically mentioned everywhere so that's why I sort of pick them however I have no clue how planars sound and what to expect.

I went back lots of pages in this thread and lot of people are saying S12 require amp to bring best out of them? Is that correct? Using Galaxy s21 Ultra with 3.5 adapter(Samsung too) atm.

The S12 is relatively easy to drive for a planar. But it scales optimally when amplified - dynamics, soundstage, bass tightness improve.

So you won't really be doing justice to the sound if you just use a weak source with the S12. Driving to adequate volume and driving well are 2 different stories.

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,406 of 1,906
The S12 is relatively easy to drive for a planar. But it scales optimally when amplified - dynamics, soundstage, bass tightness improve.

So you won't really be doing justice to the sound if you just use a weak source with the S12. Driving to adequate volume and driving well are 2 different stories.
Would Qudelix5k be adequate? If I get amp/dac it would have to be one that can be used directly and Bluetooth too.

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #1,407 of 1,906
Would Qudelix5k be adequate? If I get amp/dac it would have to be one that can be used directly and Bluetooth too.

Yep I think the Quedelix 5K is good for the S12, especially if used with the balanced output.

Oct 18, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,409 of 1,906
So anyone hands on s12 pro and compared to the og yet?

I believe the S12 Pro is same as S12. Pro has detachable cable plugs and comes with 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 4.4mm plugs. If anyone can confirm this, that will be great.

Drop is selling S12 Pro for $119 USD. I hear a lot of positive review about S12. And I have reward at Drop that I need to use. So I plan to get the S12 Pro.

I currently have Tin Hifi T3 Plus. I don't have large ears (nor large ear canal). T3 Plus body is quite large. At first, I had some soreness in my concha. It might be due to wearing T3 Plus for 1st time, and also I used it for 8-10 hours in the first few days. After few days, it was fine. No issue with ear canal, as I can use either small or medium tips.

S12 also has a large body. Does anyone have size/dimension comparison of T3 Plus vs S12 body?

Oct 18, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #1,410 of 1,906
I believe the S12 Pro is same as S12. Pro has detachable cable plugs and comes with 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 4.4mm plugs. If anyone can confirm this, that will be great.

Drop is selling S12 Pro for $119 USD. I hear a lot of positive review about S12. And I have reward at Drop that I need to use. So I plan to get the S12 Pro.

I currently have Tin Hifi T3 Plus. I don't have large ears (nor large ear canal). T3 Plus body is quite large. At first, I had some soreness in my concha. It might be due to wearing T3 Plus for 1st time, and also I used it for 8-10 hours in the first few days. After few days, it was fine. No issue with ear canal, as I can use either small or medium tips.

S12 also has a large body. Does anyone have size/dimension comparison of T3 Plus vs S12 body?
U are correct, comes with different cable .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back