LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Oct 7, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #1,366 of 1,906
So, weeks (or months?) ago, I mentioned here that I didn’t believe in “scalability” of S12 and that a portable source like BTR5 or AP80 Pro x was enough to extract all sound quality from S12.

Well, I take that back. I have to pick my jaw from the floor the first time I hear my (modded) S12 with VE Megatron DAC/AMP. Clarity and separation are improved, bass is even more textured and deep, soundstage is enlarged (mostly due to the improved separation and lower frequencies).

Send help. I have been stuck here an hour listening to music, grinning like an idiot. :beyersmile:

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #1,369 of 1,906
How does the EJ07M compare against top dogs like Andro and 64 audio stuffs? Can it compete in resolution, staging, and air?

The EJ07M actually has great resolution and pinpoint imaging. The treble gives plenty of air and micro detailing that is evident and easily heard. The soundstage is very good, though not elite like the Andros of my A18s. Overall, I would say that the EJ07Ms are the best IEMs I have heard for the money and that they hold their own against stuff like the Andros, but I still would ultimately give my 2020s the nod over the EJ07Ms.

It's important to note that the two are very different from a tuning perspective so I don't necessarily look at the Andros and the EJ07Ms as direct competitors.

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,370 of 1,906
It's true ?
Screenshot_20221007-125421-picsay.png

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,371 of 1,906
Just got a set of these in.

I've been using my FH5S primarily with the UTWS3 wireless adapters, and needed a cabled in-ear to be used at home, that provided a bit more isolation than my HD660S. They are replacing both a Blessing 2 (lost) and SSR (destroyed in the wash). The SSR was very natural/organic/accurate and one of my all-time favourites. I like the vividness of the S12 over the Blessing 2, though the overall tonality on the BLessing 2 was a bit more neutral / accurate, it could also feel a bit congested in comparison to the FH5S - and similarly to the S12. The additional treble lift and upper mid emphasis help present a vivid sound.

These have, a touch splashy, hot, and almost strident treble range depending on material. The upside is that they have overall more 'air' and perception of transient presence. The downside, that treble can bite a bit too much as you turn these up. But they work well for regular and lower listening volumes where the v-shaped signature compensates for the FletcherMunson effect.

Bass is very good, but surprisingly not overpowering. It is balanced sounding with the rest of the frequency presentation.

Works very well with spatial audio - so this would be a great gaming set, Dolby Atmos movie watching set.

Really impressed by the overall package, build, fit, cable (!!!), and enjoy the more v-shaped / vivid sound.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #1,374 of 1,906
So I'm relatively happy with the S12 they sound great, but I find them quite uncomfortable. I've changed tips but the actual body seems to stick in my ear,

Are the any similar quality iem that feel nicer in the ear?

My favorite set to wear is the IKKO OH10 Obsidian. Some people dislike the weight of them, but I don’t notice it. What I notice is that the shell shape and nozzle angle/length is absolutely ideal for my ears. They fit almost like a custom for me.

My second best fitting set is the Dunu Vernus. It’s the same shell as the Dunu Falcon Pro. It’s a similar shape to the S12. It fits me like a glove. Love it.

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #1,377 of 1,906
How do the ca honeydew and satsuma compare to the s12 there 3.5 I know that

I have never heard the Satsuma, but the Honeydew is a very bass heavy IEM and, IMO, it's not very high quality bass either. The S12 has fast, tight bass that is detailed and articulate, while the Honeydew's bass is thick, slower, and often muddy. Also the overall tuning of the Honeydew is dominated by the bass such that it bleeds into the mids and takes away from the overall clarity.

This is just my opinion of course.

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #1,380 of 1,906
Got these bad boys two weeks ago jumping on the planar train. Although the first unit they sent suffered from sound breaking up on the right side, they sent the replacement right away and arrived my hands in just three days(one of the perk living in Hong Kong).
I was first get acquaintances with planar with the beloved Tri i3 and was curious if the planar hype train was real.
I need to say that I was quite disappointed when I first listen to these out of the box. With stock cable and stock hard tips the sq didn't impress me.
Comparing to my current daily driver um mest hk special edition, the s12 sounds thin in the mids and borderline peircing on the highs (I'm a 33 year old).
The only good thing is the bass, which is fast and snappy but still lacking body and didn't hit deep enough for my taste.

So I did a little tip rolling and settled on the Azla sedna light tips which give me a perfect seal. I taped the upper vent tried cable swapping to see what happens.
The result surprised me. With the effect audio aros s (8 cores silver and copper hybrid)the s12 sounds much fuller in every spectrum. Although still maintain the slightly v shaped tuning, the mids have much more air comparing to the stock cable and soundstage is significantly wider (though not so much improvement in depth). Peircing highs are gone and the bass digs deeper and rumbles more.
P_20220919_175235.jpg
Switching to the NOBUNAGA Labs cochou cable (8 cores gold-plated 4N Pure silver) the s12 sound much balanced. It turns to a much u shaped sound with a tad of sweetness in the mids. Bass is much faster than the eros s and soundstage remains almost the same. There are some smoothness added to the highs and the vocals shines with this cable.

P_20220919_175429.jpg

All my testing was done on a hiby rs6 in 4.4 high gain. I like the r2r signature which gives the mids more body and I think It has better synergy comparing with my cayin n3pro in tube mode(maybe because of the output power?). And burning in seems very effective for the s12 to open up the soundstage and smoothing the edges of sibilance. I know these cables are costing much more to the earphone itself but in my opinion they get the s12 to its full potential. Next I may do some comparison with my mest.
What did taping the vent do? Which vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back