LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Aug 12, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #1,201 of 1,906
Yup, that’s why I am gathering tuning components from Aliexpress for permanent mods. This IEM is that good, technical wise, that I think extra effort is worth it.
hey man let me know how it goes for the s12. already have aliX tuning stuff OTW for the olina since it seems more simple and documented, but i would love to see how to tame that s12 treble.

Aug 12, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #1,203 of 1,906
Yes, I have seen his mod. Essentially, the rubber insert is similar to taping the front nozzle. Both are dampening the nozzle to reduce higher frequencies.

Replacing back filter is somewhat similar to closing the back vent on the shell (i use micropore tape). Both mod reduces the mid bass and lower mid. A member on another forum explains that by choking the driver, we can tightening is transient response as well.

Opening the front vent like SB would further reduce the midbass. I haven’t tried it.
I wonder what Shuoer did to get this assuming the measurements are accurate.
graph 16.png

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #1,205 of 1,906
The Z12 seems to be inserted deeper into the coupler than S12 (resonance peak at 8.5k instead of 8k). This difference can lead to differences in the frequencies below it as well. Other than that, that Z12 does not seem like a good idea. The original S12 is already aggressive, and they add a couple db to its ear gain to make Z12? Not a tuning choice that I can agree.

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #1,206 of 1,906
Yes, I have seen his mod. Essentially, the rubber insert is similar to taping the front nozzle. Both are dampening the nozzle to reduce higher frequencies.

Replacing back filter is somewhat similar to closing the back vent on the shell (i use micropore tape). Both mod reduces the mid bass and lower mid. A member on another forum explains that by choking the driver, we can tightening is transient response as well.

Opening the front vent like SB would further reduce the midbass. I haven’t tried it.

BRO... how is that less midbass? Ask me directly if you want to know what each thing does. Also the front vents are completely open.
graph - 2022-08-12T165707.598.png

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #1,207 of 1,906
No, that is wrong, removing the back filter creates a lot more bass.

Hey, you are that modder on YouTube! You inspired me to start modding. We discussed in comments a couple times about the impact of 10k dip on 3d soundstage.

Anyhow, opening back filter certainly increase midbass. Dampening it (adding filter that you did or taping off the vent like I did) reduces the midbass while not impacting the subbass that much. With some IEMs, opening the back vent also increase the soundstage width and resolution, at the cost of bass bleed.

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #1,208 of 1,906
Yes I am! Hey. Nice on modding. Yeah I wanted a lot more midbass, so I got it by adding a less strong damper to the back of the driver, but then i bleed off the excess by opening the front vents entirely. The rubber insert actually moves the mid peak up to around 2.5k vs 2k.

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #1,209 of 1,906
Yes I am! Hey. Nice on modding. Yeah I wanted a lot more midbass, so I got it by adding a less strong damper to the back of the driver, but then i bleed off the excess by opening the front vents entirely. The rubber insert actually moves the mid peak up to around 2.5k vs 2k.

Well, there is a lot for me to learn and explore. I’ll get the measurements back to you when I get to it. For me, closing the back vents on the shell entirely and taping the nozzle drop the midbass, keep the subbass, subdue the ear gain, but the treble energy around 10k is still too much. I’m getting more components to do some permanent mods.

I think we are right about 10k. Reducing it a bit does help with the soundstage of S12.

Anyhow, Keep up with the modding! You are an inspiration!

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #1,210 of 1,906

Hey, you are that modder on YouTube! You inspired me to start modding. We discussed in comments a couple times about the impact of 10k dip on 3d soundstage.

Anyhow, opening back filter certainly increase midbass. Dampening it (adding filter that you did or taping off the vent like I did) reduces the midbass while not impacting the subbass that much. With some IEMs, opening the back vent also increase the soundstage width and resolution, at the cost of bass bleed.
A few things!

I think the rubber part isn't fully similar to a front vent, it messes with the acoustics much more.

Other than that, replacing the back filter with something else really depends on what you replace it with haha, it can go both ways.

Opening the back vent will ALWAYS increase soundstage, in all directions

On the other hand resolution really depends, if by closing the vent you get faster transients then by opening it they slow down, meaning you may lose resolution.

On top of that it depends on the driver, and the way it's FR interact with having the back opened.

Bass bleed is the same, depending on the driver, fast drivers like planars will handle the midbass boost just fine :)

IMO, kudos to anyone that can take a close back iem, mod it and make it work, but usually if you go for an open back iem, from the get go you'll most likely play around with different positioning and drivers.

Could you imagine someone modding an lcd i4 and making it a closed back iem? the treble will probably become hell on earth and bass will be anemic, however if audeze would make a closed back design they'd probably opt for a completely different driver :) just food for thought!

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #1,211 of 1,906
Well, there is a lot for me to learn and explore. I’ll get the measurements back to you when I get to it. For me, closing the back vents on the shell entirely and taping the nozzle drop the midbass, keep the subbass, subdue the ear gain, but the treble energy around 10k is still too much. I’m getting more components to do some permanent mods.

I think we are right about 10k. Reducing it a bit does help with the soundstage of S12.

Anyhow, Keep up with the modding! You are an inspiration!
Thank you sir! I will keep doing my thing since I love acoustics.

Also, fwiw, the S12 driver is amaaaaazing, maybe one of the best IEM drivers ever made. It's definitely worth messing with. At this point I'd pay a lot more than retail for this iem and tuning :D

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #1,212 of 1,906
Thank you sir! I will keep doing my thing since I love acoustics.

Also, fwiw, the S12 driver is amaaaaazing, maybe one of the best IEM drivers ever made. It's definitely worth messing with. At this point I'd pay a lot more than retail for this iem and tuning :D

In my A/B tests, the modded S12 squarely compete against Andromeda 2020 in resolution, meaning it falls in the TOTL resolution level. If the tuning was better and the shell was fancier, Shuoer can charge kilobuck price and people would sing about it like “endgame” for sure.

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #1,213 of 1,906
In my A/B tests, the modded S12 squarely compete against Andromeda 2020 in resolution, meaning it falls in the TOTL resolution level. If the tuning was better and the shell was fancier, Shuoer can charge kilobuck price and people would sing about it like “endgame” for sure.
makes me wonder how it competes with the new cfa supermoon given they're both planars (only one is 7.5x pricier)

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #1,214 of 1,906
makes me wonder how it competes with the new cfa supermoon given they're both planars (only one is 7.5x pricier)

Supermoon seems to be CIEM only, as I read that CFA does not want to produce a universal one. CFA might deserve their money given that they are the first to be able to put a planar driver in a 3d printed custom shell.

Sound quality wise, I highly doubt that it would outperform S12. After passing a certain level of performance, there is not much left to gain, IMHO.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #1,215 of 1,906
BRO... how is that less midbass? Ask me directly if you want to know what each thing does. Also the front vents are completely open.graph - 2022-08-12T165707.598.png
Hello! I recently purchased some S12's and just discovered your mods, and how they seem to align with my own preferences and music tastes! This is very exciting.

Would you happen to have any estimated EQ's on a stock S12 to simulate what your end result physical modding would sound like, so I can determine if I'd want to go through with it? I don't know how to EQ at all and wouldn't know where to start. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back