LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Aug 7, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #1,186 of 1,906
I don’t know. Someone recommended me to use more powerful source to “scale” the Andromeda 2020 recently. To explode my ear drums?
I have a first series Andromeda and practically anything I plug it into is capable of driving them to insanely loud levels. More power is not the answer for Andromeda.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #1,190 of 1,906
E177D805-3627-4B47-A1E9-4EB225241F15.jpeg

Last part of the setup arrived this morning. Tried it with the stock clear tips then the spinfit CP100s. Have to say they’re the most comfortable tips I’ve tried yet.

Listening to them stock this pair sounds less shouty than I remembered the S12 was. As expected the extra bass was not discernible especially from memory. However they do sound a lot more open with less noise isolation. Perhaps the slight tune was a simple change in vent material.
I was looking forward to trying the Micropore tape mods but having heard them I don’t think I will.

With a 2.5mm cable I now have more power headroom to EQ with.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #1,191 of 1,906
Wavelet is probably the most widely used one on Android.
--
I am still trying to figure out if there is an option to insert custom frequencies into Squiglink (under the "Equalizer" tab). My native Shanling EQ has static frequency ranges so there is no work-around via my source. I mean I can change ranges in Squiglink prior to clicking "AutoEQ", but then the EQ process changes the EQ ranges to something else. Anyone?
yes, i have many and u can adjust them

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,192 of 1,906
E177D805-3627-4B47-A1E9-4EB225241F15.jpeg
Last part of the setup arrived this morning. Tried it with the stock clear tips then the spinfit CP100s. Have to say they’re the most comfortable tips I’ve tried yet.

Listening to them stock this pair sounds less shouty than I remembered the S12 was. As expected the extra bass was not discernible especially from memory. However they do sound a lot more open with less noise isolation. Perhaps the slight tune was a simple change in vent material.
I was looking forward to trying the Micropore tape mods but having heard them I don’t think I will.

With a 2.5mm cable I now have more power headroom to EQ with.

Stunning cable!

Regarding physical modding, I found that S12 sounds almost well-tuned if I use micropore tape to dampen the nozzle (reduce all upper frequencies) and close the back vents (near the 2 pin connector). Closing the back vents help cleaning up the mid bass whilst keeping the sub bass intact. Transient response seems more refined as well. I have done careful A/B testing between this configuration and my Andromeda. They trade blows in terms of resolution now, meaning S12 carries technical performance of true TOTL IEMs, or at least a part of it. Soundstage is more well organised and opened as well, but not as "3D" as Andromeda and U12t, unfortunately.

Now, I'm looking for a more permanent solution, as micropore tapes need to be replaced after a week or so.

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #1,193 of 1,906
Stunning cable!

Regarding physical modding, I found that S12 sounds almost well-tuned if I use micropore tape to dampen the nozzle (reduce all upper frequencies) and close the back vents (near the 2 pin connector). Closing the back vents help cleaning up the mid bass whilst keeping the sub bass intact. Transient response seems more refined as well. I have done careful A/B testing between this configuration and my Andromeda. They trade blows in terms of resolution now, meaning S12 carries technical performance of true TOTL IEMs, or at least a part of it. Soundstage is more well organised and opened as well, but not as "3D" as Andromeda and U12t, unfortunately.

Now, I'm looking for a more permanent solution, as micropore tapes need to be replaced after a week or so.
Found this store:
NiceHCK Audio Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0sp8ey
They must be phasing out older designs as all the carbon plugged models were hugely discounted while the metal plugged variants ended up costing a lot more.

Have you seen the Shortbus TOTL mods? He puts in a rubber insert to dampen the treble, opens up the IEMs and replaces the back filter then pokes holes through the front vent.
The last two mods might be a bit drastic but the first one I think achieves what your tape does.

What do you use to close the back vents?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,194 of 1,906
Has anyone else tried the SB mod? I am stuck at the first step haha, I wasn't able to loose up the shelves with the screwdriver wiggle, all I managed to achieve
is to scratch them - at least now I wont be tempted to sell them :D.

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #1,196 of 1,906
Let us know what you think when you finish the mod
Oh, my bass. I really like the SB mod and recommend to S12 community. Increased sub bass and glide up tonality brings up bass sound more powerful, thick and punchy also tamp down bit of treble as well so more balanced sound. I finished Step 1 and Step 3 first due to Aliexpress delivery time, IMO, step 1 and step 3 only give subtle differences, but step 2 makes noticeable differences.
Tonal balance is similar to KL, but soundstage is almost same as the stock. More intimate compare to KL. I think because of the single driver config.
  1. Nozzle mod - insert Etymotic foam tip inner shell
  2. Inner Filter mod - replace stock filter to 3mm 400mesh filter
  3. Outside bass port mod - poke and make a hole of inner filter and increase the size of the hole
* once open up the IEM shell, it's easier to get opened. If you drop it, it probably show you its gut.

1660246267194.png

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,197 of 1,906
I think I’ll only start nodding once I have instruments to measure FR. I use squigs from reviewers to Eq with and modding would change my baseline.

That said I tried the SB mod as an EQ and it’s very nice. The dampening of the mids alone changes up the perceived bass and overall balance quite a lot.

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #1,198 of 1,906
Have you seen the Shortbus TOTL mods? He puts in a rubber insert to dampen the treble, opens up the IEMs and replaces the back filter then pokes holes through the front vent.
The last two mods might be a bit drastic but the first one I think achieves what your tape does.

What do you use to close the back vents?

Yes, I have seen his mod. Essentially, the rubber insert is similar to taping the front nozzle. Both are dampening the nozzle to reduce higher frequencies.

Replacing back filter is somewhat similar to closing the back vent on the shell (i use micropore tape). Both mod reduces the mid bass and lower mid. A member on another forum explains that by choking the driver, we can tightening is transient response as well.

Opening the front vent like SB would further reduce the midbass. I haven’t tried it.

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #1,199 of 1,906
Yes, I have seen his mod. Essentially, the rubber insert is similar to taping the front nozzle. Both are dampening the nozzle to reduce higher frequencies.

Replacing back filter is somewhat similar to closing the back vent on the shell (i use micropore tape). Both mod reduces the mid bass and lower mid. A member on another forum explains that by choking the driver, we can tightening is transient response as well.

Opening the front vent like SB would further reduce the midbass. I haven’t tried it.
yeah, i was thinking of doing the micropore tape mod, but don't you have to replace it every two weeks? idk if i would consider keeping that up long term

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #1,200 of 1,906
yeah, i was thinking of doing the micropore tape mod, but don't you have to replace it every two weeks? idk if i would consider keeping that up long term

Yup, that’s why I am gathering tuning components from Aliexpress for permanent mods. This IEM is that good, technical wise, that I think extra effort is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back