LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,156 of 1,906
So yesterday I got my S12s as well. And what can I say, its quite a detour from T3+ (my daily IEM), so much more aggresive. Not fatiguing, but still, it would be quite a challenge to adapt to it without the EQ. So I tried some basic EQ tweaks (sub 250 hz: +2 db, 4K+ hz: -1 db). Not the most sophisticated EQ settings, but it made my secondary experience with S12 so much more pleasant. I will try to optimize the EQ further, but I am wondering if I could achieve similar results with "redrol’s" mod, I doubt I could do that with different tips or/and a "warmer" cable. In any case, I am definitely keeping them as I have a feeling they are an uncut jewel and can be molded into something glorious (per my sound signature prederences).

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #1,157 of 1,906
You shouldn’t have a problem. My point before was about going from 3.5mm unbalanced to 4.4mm balanced… that is, going from 2V to 4V, ~125mW to ~250mW, you may hear the sound quality improve. You will also hear the volume increase, but for the same volume I’m sure I heard the bass get punchier and possibly better dynamic range.

Altho controversial, I’ve heard several reviewers claim this is a real side effect of giving the S12s more power. Personally and in my humble opinion, I believe this is otherwise psychoacoustic and in my head, but I am willing to believe that for amplifiers that provide barely adequate power, and then changing to an amp with more power, the change in sound quality may indeed be real. On the other hand, for going from a more than adequate amp to another amp, it becomes more difficult to assign differences in sound quality to the difference in power. It’s as if, when using barely adequate power, not all frequencies respond the same way (i.e., predictably, relative to volume), but if given an amplifier that provides a lot of headroom, all frequencies behave more predictively.

So, in summary you should be fine with any amplifier, and although many would be considered overkill, you’re not in any danger if you’re careful, pay attention to the volume before plugging in, and always make sure you’re in low gain mode.

Edit: as an aside and example… I’ve recently purchased the Topping DX3 Pro+ small desktop DAC/Amp for my bedside table. It will provide much more power (1800mA into 32ohms) than my IEMs and HPs require, so I was comfortable with the unit not providing a balanced HP output.

Also… I didn’t mean to ignore your “outside vs inside” question. I imagine if your ear tips provide for good isolation it wouldn’t make a difference…
Thanks for mentioning. You have a good logic suspicion about amp.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #1,158 of 1,906
The S12 has really shown the weaknesses in my FIIO M6. I've fully aware the M6 is a budget DAP and no power monster, but the S12 does sound pretty lacklustre playing from it. With my desktop FIIO K5 PRO, it's a different animal altogether. Scale is very big. Note weight and body pretty huge and satisfying. Detail is much better, tho it still lacks in microdetail in certain sections of the signature. This IMO is down to a lack of definition/sculpting around instruments. It's like the detail is there, but it's smoothed over at times... Hard to explain. It's as if you had a drawing, where the images and subjects were carefully pencilled in at the start with intricate detail and then you used your finger to smudge the outlines a bit to smoothen everything down.

I will say tho, I don't find them fatiguing in any way, I know some of you think the upper mids are a bit overemphasized... I don't find that at all.

My final verdict on them would be they sound 'big', lovely bass response in terms of playing whats in the track as intended, mids are fun/musical, treble behaves. Like I said, not the best I've heard for separation. They're more about the overall track than intricate microdetail, so I wouldn't expect an abundance of little satisfying 'haven't heard that before' moments. Tho far from bad.

They are very good for movies, excellent for gaming... Maybe the best I've used actually for games. Better than some open back headphones like their planar cousin the he400se.

Sadly tho... Let down by QC in my pair. Driver flex and now a whiny distortion in treble on the left side.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #1,159 of 1,906
I should add as a separate post, I don't think I've been in a specific earphone thread with so much talk about EQing?! I've never really bought into EQ, tho I've no doubt others will enjoy experimenting and got personal rewards from it, so I'm not criticising in any way if it makes this hobby more enjoyable. I did chuckle reading a couple of posts saying they successfully EQd the S12 using a different planar's frequency graph and then planned on buying that planar cos it sounded great 🤔😂

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #1,162 of 1,906
Anyone? i know these questions get tiresome, but im trying to learn and would appreciate all the help i can get.

Wavelet is probably the most widely used one on Android.
--
I am still trying to figure out if there is an option to insert custom frequencies into Squiglink (under the "Equalizer" tab). My native Shanling EQ has static frequency ranges so there is no work-around via my source. I mean I can change ranges in Squiglink prior to clicking "AutoEQ", but then the EQ process changes the EQ ranges to something else. Anyone?

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,164 of 1,906
Hey, glad you are trying it! Just to mention this, it doesnt need the grill but let me see: looks like around 4.8-4.9mm. The lip is very small so it's hard to see exactly

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #1,167 of 1,906
Is someone having driver flex problems with the S12?
Actually, I'm having driver flex with the S12 and the lz a7, problems that i never had before. Anyone might know what's causing it?

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #1,168 of 1,906
Is someone having driver flex problems with the S12?
Actually, I'm having driver flex with the S12 and the lz a7, problems that i never had before. Anyone might know what's causing it?
I think I can hear what you’re talking about but only sometimes. It only happens with really low bass and I first noticed it doing a sine sweep. Either driver flex or THD, I’m not entirely sure. Maybe I got lucky with my set.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #1,170 of 1,906
I'm here to report these are a great match with the xd-05 balanced. It's punchiness balances the xd-05's smoothieness.
I have never listened to the XD-05 personally but I can attest as well that running balanced off my Qudelix with these is great. It offers better dynamics and instrument separation, as well as slightly punchier bass (and they take EQ better when running balanced, I posted one of my 2 profiles I use above in this thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back