LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jul 25, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #1,142 of 1,906
They have a nice deal currently on their site - of $129 for S12. (I went for the Z12 full combo though :))

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #1,148 of 1,906
Has anyone tried to mod S12 yet? I'm interested, but popping vent holes worries me a bit.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #1,149 of 1,906
Thank you rarewolf. What volume percentage do you use when indoor vs outdoor.?

I am afraid that using 340mw dac will make iems too loud at 2% volume.
My L&P W2 is comparable with your SE output, but only puts out 250mW from its 4.4mm, and I certainly heard a difference from the low end and dynamic range with a balanced cable.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #1,150 of 1,906
Thank you rarewolf. What volume percentage do you use when indoor vs outdoor.?

I am afraid that using 340mw dac will make iems too loud at 2% volume.

You shouldn’t have a problem. My point before was about going from 3.5mm unbalanced to 4.4mm balanced… that is, going from 2V to 4V, ~125mW to ~250mW, you may hear the sound quality improve. You will also hear the volume increase, but for the same volume I’m sure I heard the bass get punchier and possibly better dynamic range.

Altho controversial, I’ve heard several reviewers claim this is a real side effect of giving the S12s more power. Personally and in my humble opinion, I believe this is otherwise psychoacoustic and in my head, but I am willing to believe that for amplifiers that provide barely adequate power, and then changing to an amp with more power, the change in sound quality may indeed be real. On the other hand, for going from a more than adequate amp to another amp, it becomes more difficult to assign differences in sound quality to the difference in power. It’s as if, when using barely adequate power, not all frequencies respond the same way (i.e., predictably, relative to volume), but if given an amplifier that provides a lot of headroom, all frequencies behave more predictively.

So, in summary you should be fine with any amplifier, and although many would be considered overkill, you’re not in any danger if you’re careful, pay attention to the volume before plugging in, and always make sure you’re in low gain mode.

Edit: as an aside and example… I’ve recently purchased the Topping DX3 Pro+ small desktop DAC/Amp for my bedside table. It will provide much more power (1800mA into 32ohms) than my IEMs and HPs require, so I was comfortable with the unit not providing a balanced HP output.

Also… I didn’t mean to ignore your “outside vs inside” question. I imagine if your ear tips provide for good isolation it wouldn’t make a difference…

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #1,153 of 1,906
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #1,155 of 1,906
The left side of my S12 now has some ringing on the left side with certain higher pitched frequencies playing 🙄. So that, along with the driver flex means they're going back to Amazon.

If anyone has the chance and has the Hook X and the S12, could you either tell me how much bigger the Hook is or even better, send me a pic of them together?

I'm not too sure whether to buy a new set of the S12 or pay extra for the Hook!? I have smaller ears tho. The company that I bought from to thru Amazon UK when I told them I had issues with the S12 told me to video myself smashing them up, then they'd send me a new pair... FROM CHINA! Think I'll just get my refund from Amazon Prime and get a new pair the next day if I wanted to re-buy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back