LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jul 20, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,111 of 1,906
Does anyone know what inside and outside diameter for the S12 nozzle/S12 filter? I'd like to purchase some "debris" filters before my S12 arrives.

TIA!
4.8mm

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #1,112 of 1,906
Finally they arrived...

IMG_20220721_120307.jpg

Also ordered cable with 4.4 mm termination... First impression is very good.

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #1,114 of 1,906
I have added S12 to the basket but im bit afraid to click the buy button. Alot of reviewers are saying that treble is bit high. Im worried that i will find the sound uncomfortable because i dont like loud treble. I listen to alot of EDM and bit hip hop. Maybe i should wait for other Planar iem or should i just get the s12? Is there any tips, cable or something else that will soften the treble? i am buying from hifigo.

The S12’s treble really isn’t that enhanced. It’s not sibilant, and is still accurate. It’s as if you’re only sitting closer to the source. I can well imagine you may be rolling tips—you can try small bore tip for attenuating the treble if you like. The Spinfit CP145s work well…

Jul 22, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,117 of 1,906
Ordered S12 on July 14, received today in USA. I requested extra filters and they included 7 additional pairs. Customer service via email was fantastic. Will have to wait until start of week to try them out; waiting on Qudelix 5K as I don't have an adapter that works with Samsung Galaxy S22. Hope I can get a decent fit:fingers_crossed:

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #1,119 of 1,906
Ordered S12 on July 14, received today in USA. I requested extra filters and they included 7 additional pairs. Customer service via email was fantastic. Will have to wait until start of week to try them out; waiting on Qudelix 5K as I don't have an adapter that works with Samsung Galaxy S22. Hope I can get a decent fit:fingers_crossed:
Q5K + S12 has been my favourite piece of audio gear in my journey so far.
More than a stock Variations. Good enough that I bought the same again after losing it.

There’s just so many ways to enjoy them with a PEQ.
Keep their pretty much stock with a slightly damped HSQ (even -3db from 1500 upwards) and it’s beautiful, others have done it with mods.
Dial it to Harmann 20-5k and HSQ damp the rest and it’s my favourite everyday listen.
Dial it to IEF Comp, add a LSQ from 150hz, put on the orchestrals and gradually boost the bass until it’s to taste.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,122 of 1,906
After a research, I firmly decide to buy a Hiby FC4 dongle, due to extra amping power

My question is, 3.5 has enough power or do I need 4.4 Bal cable?

Hiby FC4 spec3.5mm PO4.4mm BAL
Output Level1.9Vrms (32Ω)3.3Vrms (32Ω)
Output Power110mW (32Ω)340mW (32Ω)
You can never go wrong with more power.... In most cases.

Jul 23, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #1,123 of 1,906
Q5K + S12 has been my favourite piece of audio gear in my journey so far.
More than a stock Variations. Good enough that I bought the same again after losing it.
Ouch...says a lot that you replaced with same.

There’s just so many ways to enjoy them with a PEQ.
Keep their pretty much stock with a slightly damped HSQ (even -3db from 1500 upwards) and it’s beautiful, others have done it with mods.
Dial it to Harmann 20-5k and HSQ damp the rest and it’s my favourite everyday listen.
Dial it to IEF Comp, add a LSQ from 150hz, put on the orchestrals and gradually boost the bass until it’s to taste.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Jul 23, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,124 of 1,906
After a research, I firmly decide to buy a Hiby FC4 dongle, due to extra amping power

My question is, 3.5 has enough power or do I need 4.4 Bal cable?

Hiby FC4 spec3.5mm PO4.4mm BAL
Output Level1.9Vrms (32Ω)3.3Vrms (32Ω)
Output Power110mW (32Ω)340mW (32Ω)

My L&P W2 is comparable with your SE output, but only puts out 250mW from its 4.4mm, and I certainly heard a difference from the low end and dynamic range with a balanced cable.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,125 of 1,906
I've got about 30 hours in these, but still waiting to listen some more before giving my complete opinion. Out of the box I really disliked them, it was if the mids were sitting in a vacuum, vocals were not nice. It also made them sound WAY brighter than they are now. 10-15 hours tho they opened up and far smoother. I'd still like some more air in the mids. I should add, my listening up to then was the FIIO FD5 which is a quite a hard hitting Beryllium single DD and the HifiMan re800s (which had its own custom DD), both pretty smooth, so I knew to give myself some brain burn in with the S12.

Early positives - Bass is nice, it has that "elastic, bouncy" quality I like. Depth and hit are very good. Mids are smooth, with decent body and lovely resolution. Treble smooth after burn in, bright but not sharp or overly so. Soundstage has a nice open feel, with very good height, good depth and note weight is nice. All round it has decent scale. Percussion is extremely well done, a real highlight.

Detail is just okay, I expected better at the price point. It really depends on genre and how busy the track is. With less going on, instruments have a very organic and realistic quality... You can hear good micro details in each instrument. BUT with lots happening and on busy tracks, that individual detail gets lost. I'm not saying it's congested or muddy, but it's harder to pick instruments out and layering isn't spectacular.

I was surprised that classical or big orchestra pieces - although musical - certain instruments get lost in the mix. Again, this could be down to a lack of air in the mids at times? The same happens with some of my favourite rock tracks. It's far from bad though. Like I said, with less going on, tracks can sound beautiful.

Source - on my FIIO M6, they sound good, but can find thinner and more bright. On my FIIO K5 Pro, scale is much more epic and I enjoy them far more. Everything is just... Bigger.

Negatives - there is a HORRIBLE amount of driver flex in the left shell. I've never heard an earphone with such noticeable and off putting flex. Obviously when music is playing it's not an issue, but it's always there, regardless of position when wearing them.

The cable took a bit of getting used too, but it's fine now. I wore outside with sunglasses, and it's pretty uncomfortable, so those wearing glasses MIGHT take this into consideration.

This is just a personal opinion and not a dig at anyone. I've read some people who own this (or have reviewed it) tell potential buyers looking for information or feedback that they "need" to have heard the planar sound, instead of just answering their questions, especially when asked for comparisons. I think this is ridiculous and a little over exaggeration. To me it's just hyping a planar at a decent price, but end of the day, it's not some radically different sound. There's no reason you can't compare to say a single DD or BA. Yeah, drivers have a certain flavour, but the S12 sounds similar to many other non-planar IEMs I have, the same way my Hifiman He400se planar headphones sound similar to some Dynamic headphones at the same price. If someone asked me to compare it to a single BA they had, I'm not gonna say, "that is impossible, go demo a planar" lol.

It may be a strange one to compare it too, and I admit it's been a while since I've heard it so might be wrong, but the S12 reminds me of the BQEYZ Spring 1. Same open soundstage, same not weight, similar mids and treble.

Anyway, I do enjoy the S12 and look forward to some more listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back