LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #931 of 1,906
Yep. I enjoyed the S12 from the first moment. I had the Timeless for a while and enjoyed the S12 a lot more. The bass and drum skin textures and wound strings are so realistic on the S12. Amazing value IEM.

Very much so in terms of percussion and strings. I’ve been listening to some 1950s era small jazz combos with them recently. The S12 does an excellent job with both broad, lush textures and micro details.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #932 of 1,906
Huh? Everything I've heard says the opposite, that the S12 take to EQ great, which has also been my experience. I'm just using my DAP's built in EQ (NW-A55) and it works amazingly well. Just tune up the low end a bit and tune down the highs a smidge and bam, you've got an IEM that has tight, impactful low end, with roll and rumble where required, and highs that are crisp and stand out in just the right way.

I absolutely noticed a piercing quality to some high notes when I was breaking them in and hadn't EQ'ed them, but in the past month I haven't heard a single note that pulled me out of the experience because it was uncomfortable.
EQ is easy if that iem has evenly space out peak. You can just eq the whole region.

But s12 has 2 tight high peaks, you can't easily know what fr need to be adjusted. And nearby fr is affected.

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #933 of 1,906
Anyone here who legitimately considers the S12 better than Timeless?

Asking because I can buy either locally for exactly the same price, strangely enough.
at the same price you may want to go for the timeless ( i only have s12) because most common conculsions from reviewers are : timeless still best planar all rounder and s12 best value planar as it is very close to timeless but cheaper. at the moment s12 is the cheapest planar on the market but i'd bet you big money that a $99 planar (with similar s12/timeless level performance) will come out in the next few months as the planar battle is just beginning and psychological sub $100 price point needs to be filled in the planar area, good for us :) ps: there is 10 or 15% reduction for s12 on shuoer site at the moment

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #934 of 1,906
at the same price you may want to go for the timeless ( i only have s12) because most conculsions from reviewers are : timeless still best planar all rounder and s12 best value planar as it is very close to timeless but cheaper
Most reviews I have read or listened to on YouTube suggest the opposite of what you are saying. Although I don't get involved in reviewing, I can state from personal experience that the S12 is a reasonably better IEM than the Timeless having spent some time comparing. Seems to match more reviewers thoughts that S12 is better.

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #935 of 1,906
Most reviews I have read or listened to on YouTube suggest the opposite of what you are saying. Although I don't get involved in reviewing, I can state from personal experience that the S12 is a reasonably better IEM than the Timeless having spent some time comparing. Seems to match more reviewers thoughts that S12 is better.
as always some prefer s12 to timeless because we all have individual preferences
here are 5 planar comparisions that illustrate the slight edge of timeless over s12 (again i don't have timeless, i have s12 so i have no bias toward timeless)

this one is more balanced :

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #936 of 1,906
as always some prefer s12 to timeless because we all have individual preferences
here are 4 all planar comparisions that illustrate the slight edge of timeless over s12 (again i don't have timeless, i have s12 so i have no bias toward timeless)

this one is more balanced :

Timeless does vocals very well, they appear almost holographically from a dark space. Makes many jazz vocals sound great.
The S12 sounds like there are twice as many instruments playing. Much bigger sound. Timeless does not reproduce drum skin textures, wound bass strings and general bass spaciousness anywhere near the S12. If you can get a personal comparison you will hear the differences clearly. HBB prefers the S12 and has stated so on various occasions.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #937 of 1,906
It is really hard to EQ, you will need special (parametric eq) app. And many people post their difference eq preference, so, not easy to find the right one. Lastly, I dont think eq will totally solve brightness because nearby frequencies will also affected.

S12 is more pierce to cca-cra, yes it is too much to bear for me.
Try this:
AutoEQ to Harmann target 200 - 5000hz
Then low shelf at 150 and high shelf at 5500 followed by additional tweaks to get decent target adherence, this will be your baseline.

Then it’s a matter of raising or lowering gain at either end until you find your sweet spot for a particular genre. I’ve attached mine.

Attachments

• DC9664C8-B539-46AF-8E11-817C89DD30A9.png
    DC9664C8-B539-46AF-8E11-817C89DD30A9.png
    556.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 11, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #938 of 1,906
Try this:
AutoEQ to Harmann target 200 - 5000hz
Then low shelf at 150 and high shelf at 5500 followed by additional tweaks to get decent target adherence, this will be your baseline.

Then it’s a matter of raising or lowering gain at either end until you find your sweet spot for a particular genre. I’ve attached mine.
What app is this?

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #940 of 1,906
Jun 11, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #941 of 1,906
So, both my IEM's are falling apart now. They clip back together but if I use particularly snug tips it's really hard not to cause them to break in half when I pull them out of my ear. So yeah, this is clearly a design flaw -- must be some cheap glue on certain sets. I contacted Letshuoer and they're going to send a replacement pair.

Something I noticed when comparing each one, as well as comparing against the picture of the ones broken in half attached to this thread, on my left earpiece one of the copper wires isn't soldered to the connector. However, what's odd is I'm not noticing any difference in sound?

Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a type of glue that will work well holding these back together and what size soldering iron I should get to reconnect the wire?

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #943 of 1,906
App for Qudelix-5k dac/amp. Also has a Chrome browser plugin for PC. Excellent value at $110.

Does the Qudelix app’s PEQ modify the digital bitstream before being sent to the dongle, or does it somehow tell the dongle’s amplifier how to modify its analog output? My own preference would be the latter for avoiding altering an otherwise perfect bitstream…

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #944 of 1,906
I did a little moddy mod on S12. I think I need to remove some bass still, but peaks be gone!
S12_SB.jpg
I slapped an Olina damper on each side last night (inspired by your double damper Olina mod) to try and tame the treble some. Couldn’t take them stock but they sound so much better now. Can’t stop listening.. Curious what you did to achieve this FR graph…

Jun 11, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #945 of 1,906
So, both my IEM's are falling apart now. They clip back together but if I use particularly snug tips it's really hard not to cause them to break in half when I pull them out of my ear. So yeah, this is clearly a design flaw -- must be some cheap glue on certain sets. I contacted Letshuoer and they're going to send a replacement pair.

Something I noticed when comparing each one, as well as comparing against the picture of the ones broken in half attached to this thread, on my left earpiece one of the copper wires isn't soldered to the connector. However, what's odd is I'm not noticing any difference in sound?

Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a type of glue that will work well holding these back together and what size soldering iron I should get to reconnect the wire?

You need to contact Shuoer and get a warranty replacement. They aren’t supposed to fall apart. Your experience is an exception, not the rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back