LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jun 6, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #920 of 1,906
Anyone here who legitimately considers the S12 better than Timeless?

Asking because I can buy either locally for exactly the same price, strangely enough.
The Timeless, is smooth, great for vocals, and I found sound to almost appear from a quite dark background holographically.
The S12 is a big sound assertive, and the quality of drum skins, wound bass strings is amazing. Gives a much bigger sense of spaciousness. Both good but I prefer the Shuoer S12. They do improve with burn in a lot. All IMHO. Time for some sleep here in good old London town.

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #922 of 1,906
Hello, I’m considering to buy s12, with EQ can tame the highs? Saw some guys said that can put 8-12db on bass and became a monster basshead iem, thats right? Some say that the high is a little piercing, so, trying to find a way to tame them.

Jun 8, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #923 of 1,906
Hello, I’m considering to buy s12, with EQ can tame the highs? Saw some guys said that can put 8-12db on bass and became a monster basshead iem, thats right? Some say that the high is a little piercing, so, trying to find a way to tame them.
It is really hard to EQ, you will need special (parametric eq) app. And many people post their difference eq preference, so, not easy to find the right one. Lastly, I dont think eq will totally solve brightness because nearby frequencies will also affected.

S12 is more pierce to cca-cra, yes it is too much to bear for me.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #925 of 1,906
i see a michael bruce fan here :wink:
if you add 8db on bass, your brain will compensate and balance your perception of trebble even if you don't touch the highs.
i used to dislike the slight sibillance of s12 but since i boosted +5db at 30hz, i no longer notice that annoying sibillance.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #927 of 1,906
It is really hard to EQ

Huh? Everything I've heard says the opposite, that the S12 take to EQ great, which has also been my experience. I'm just using my DAP's built in EQ (NW-A55) and it works amazingly well. Just tune up the low end a bit and tune down the highs a smidge and bam, you've got an IEM that has tight, impactful low end, with roll and rumble where required, and highs that are crisp and stand out in just the right way.

I absolutely noticed a piercing quality to some high notes when I was breaking them in and hadn't EQ'ed them, but in the past month I haven't heard a single note that pulled me out of the experience because it was uncomfortable.

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #928 of 1,906
Huh? Everything I've heard says the opposite, that the S12 take to EQ great, which has also been my experience. I'm just using my DAP's built in EQ (NW-A55) and it works amazingly well. Just tune up the low end a bit and tune down the highs a smidge and bam, you've got an IEM that has tight, impactful low end, with roll and rumble where required, and highs that are crisp and stand out in just the right way.

I absolutely noticed a piercing quality to some high notes when I was breaking them in and hadn't EQ'ed them, but in the past month I haven't heard a single note that pulled me out of the experience because it was uncomfortable.
The S12 as you say burn-in. They then lose their 'glare'. I quite enjoy edge in my IEMs anyway and find them to be an exceptional planar IEM.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #929 of 1,906
The S12 as you says burn-in. They then lose their 'glare'. I quite enjoy edge in my IEMs anyway and find them to be an exceptional planar IEM.

I’m not sure where the criticism that they’re too sharp comes from. They have a bright treble with lots of extension but I’ve only found it harsh in the rarest of cases. And while I’m not a huge believer in burn in I have noticed that the sound signature of both of my planar IEMS (S12 and Hook-X) did change somewhat over time. They both opened up some and became smoother across the whole FR.

But of course everyone has different ears, so there is no way to make a 100% objective assessment of any specific IEM.

Jun 8, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #930 of 1,906
I’m not sure where the criticism that they’re too sharp comes from. They have a bright treble with lots of extension but I’ve only found it harsh in the rarest of cases. And while I’m not a huge believer in burn in I have noticed that the sound signature of both of my planar IEMS (S12 and Hook-X) did change somewhat over time. They both opened up some and became smoother across the whole FR.

But of course everyone has different ears, so there is no way to make a 100% objective assessment of any specific IEM.
Yep. I enjoyed the S12 from the first moment. I had the Timeless for a while and enjoyed the S12 a lot more. The bass and drum skin textures and wound strings are so realistic on the S12. Amazing value IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back